Can someone post this Suggestion for me?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Can someone post this Suggestion for me?

Postby Tev » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:02 pm

Since I have yet to get any form of beta access, would someone be willing to post my suggestion for me?

One idea that came to me when I was tanking a boss today regarding some of the issues going around for all 3 specs of paladins. For Holy, they need more damage, for Prot consecrate can be a bit mana heavy on a single boss if it doesn't pound the snot out of you, and for Ret, Consecrate is great dps without the burst, but very costly mana wise. So I thought, what if we had a single target version of consecrate?

Consecrating Light
5% base mana
Bathes the target in a consecrating light dealing X damage per second for 8 seconds.

It would share the same timer as Consecrate, would do the same damage as Consecrate (meaning it would suffer from the same aoe damage coefficient penalties), but it would be much more mana efficient than Consecrate (about 1/4 to 1/5th the mana cost). Its basically taking a bit of a potential dps hit for higher than normal mana efficiency.

Thoughts?
Tev

Postby Avias » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:16 pm

I don't like it.
Avias

Postby majiben » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:32 pm

Blizzard doesn't want aoe spells to be used for single targets and thus keep the cost high.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Tev » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:24 am

Majiben wrote:Blizzard doesn't want aoe spells to be used for single targets and thus keep the cost high.

That's sort of the point of what I suggested. Reducing an aoe ability to a single target option to help for different situations. I though this would be especially nice for holy as they typically don't use consecrate when soloing in their dps cycle due to the cost.

This is also in light of GCs comment that with divine plea, (ret) paladins should be able to spam consecration during their cycle, and the fact that 2 of the 3 paladin builds use this ability consistently even on single targets.

Fact is reguardless of what blizzard wants, we'll be using aoe abilities on single targets whever we can because ours in particular is very nice damage/threat in addition to our normal cycles. I'm merely suggesting a better way of doing it while adding the bonus of allowing Holy to have an easier time soloing, or even contributing more to a group.
Tev

Postby majiben » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:42 am

Tev wrote:
Majiben wrote:Blizzard doesn't want aoe spells to be used for single targets and thus keep the cost high.

That's sort of the point of what I suggested. Reducing an aoe ability to a single target option to help for different situations. I though this would be especially nice for holy as they typically don't use consecrate when soloing in their dps cycle due to the cost.

This is also in light of GCs comment that with divine plea, (ret) paladins should be able to spam consecration during their cycle, and the fact that 2 of the 3 paladin builds use this ability consistently even on single targets.

Fact is reguardless of what blizzard wants, we'll be using aoe abilities on single targets whever we can because ours in particular is very nice damage/threat in addition to our normal cycles. I'm merely suggesting a better way of doing it while adding the bonus of allowing Holy to have an easier time soloing, or even contributing more to a group.
I miss read it it seems. I thought for some reason you meant targeted area.

I still don't think blizzard would be receptive to a new spell to balance Prot and ret rotations on so late in the game.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Ranluka » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:54 am

Tev wrote:

Or better yet not be gimped when tanking around sheep. (A sad but unavoidable reality with "unaoeable" mobs)
Ranluka

Postby Tev » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:55 am

One can always hope. I just have it stuck in my head that if an ability being an aoe is part of the issue, would they be ok with a single target version used in its stead under the consideration that its the same dps on a single target as the aoe version, but much more mana friendly.
Tev

Postby crabcrouton » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:08 am

Based on this quote from Ghostcrawler:

You should be able to spam Consecrate if you use Divine Plea. This is what we, and I believe others, have found. You should be able to use Divine Storm, Crusader Strike and a Judgement without Divine Plea and keep mana up almost indefinitely.

The goal here seems to be that they're not entirely against the idea of Consecrate as part of Ret's rotation. The cost however is most likely at the loss of FoLs via AoW and Hand spells. Personally I couldn't maintain Cons in my rotation through testing but their design is that you should be able to do that if you wanted to.

Kinda did a 180 from their stance in earlier posts though.
crabcrouton

Return to WotLK