Remove Advertisements

Tanked a bit of ZA

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tanked a bit of ZA

Postby Palodin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:15 am

Looks like I still have a bit to learn about tanking. Bear boss 3 wipes until I figured out Righteous Defense is the taunt you use for transitions. It was a dual pally situation and the other pally was having issues getting his threat below mine. Probably my fault because I was holding back (mana rotation and left out consecration) and that left us with a huge imbalance.

Question - Could he have bubbled to drop threat and just turned off the bubble or would it have been a complete threat wipe?

No boots, but I did get sheild off Dragon boss. FWIW that scarab shield from sporeggar reigns supreme there!
Palodin Malygos
Resilience
Palodin

Postby Altrussia » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:00 am

Divine Shield does not wipe your threat, so you could bubble and then click it off. As long as you're still the highest, it will run back (or turn back) to you.
Altrussia

Postby Spectrum » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:06 am

The bubble makes you immune. When mobs see an immune target they will go to the highest-threat target that isn't immune. When the bubble comes off the threat is all still there and you become a valid target, so if you are still highest on threat they'll come back.

The bear boss is one where taunts come in handy. Taunt also lets you save mana when you're not the target because when you taunt you'll get all the threat of the other tank.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Palodin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:09 pm

That's what I thought about taunting. So how is it that this other pally has more threat than me after the taunt and the bear goes back to him.

I wish there was a combat log analyzer that could show me the threatmeter throughout a fight.

As for rotations mine goes

Seal Judge Cons Hammer Shield repeat. When I have time and it's up I use other abilities as the situation dictated.

Now in that fight I ran into mana issues close to transition so was running mana seal/judge. Next time I'll stick to SoV SoR and mana judgements.
Palodin Malygos
Resilience
Palodin

Postby majiben » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:23 pm

I get the feeling that your rotation is off and/or the other tank severely outgears you.

You should be tanking phase 1 as the less geared tank because the damage is lessed and the attacks are fast enough for HS threat to make a difference.

Link both your armories please and read up on our new rotations in the Basic training or Advanced training subforums.

If you still have problems ask your better geared paladin to use JoW while you use JoL so he gains less threat and you gain more. Be sure to use AW at the start of fight so you build up your threat more quickly.

I can personally say that if I went all out on bear boss while it wasn't my turn to tank I could over take my cotank. I suggest you blow your mana in troll form then switch to SoW for bear phase to regen your aman and switch back to SoV when you switch back.
Last edited by majiben on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby cerwillis » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:24 pm

A few things that I do. One, don't use holy shield when the other tank has the aggro(waste of mana), pop it right before the transition and then hit your RD. Second, I have to hold back slightly when I don't have the aggro, or I run the risk of pulling him off of the other tank, generally, I will lay off of HoR or judgements. It also may be a good idea to have the other pally stop using consecrate when you have the boss, depending on your gear levels. Finally, I make sure to have holy shield and a block or dodge trinket popped before the bear stuns everyone. Hope this helps.

CW
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Othersider » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:48 pm

There isn't really a need to use a threat rotation of any sort while you're not tanking him, just get mana back and taunt when you're supposed to.
Othersider

Postby majiben » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:56 pm

Othersider wrote:There isn't really a need to use a threat rotation of any sort while you're not tanking him, just get mana back and taunt when you're supposed to.
Should your taunt fail your cotank can be bubbled and you could get the boss if you were second on threat.

Also you can HoSac your cotankduring his turn to lessen some damage and regen a little mana and HoSalv the dps that get ahead of you.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Palodin » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:13 am

Sorry I have not replied earlier.

With Armory being the way it is, it's kinda hard to post my stats.

The last day of horseman we ended up having our 3 playing pally tanks in the instance so I played with my rotations while we beat on the horseman.

SoV+Jow+Cons+Hammer+Shield = Out TPS them
SoR+same as above = I can keep up.

I buff to 14K health or 16K depending on who's there. 490 def 16500ish armor.

Note: Both of them seem to have what I consider non optimal tanking specs. I'll pick up Kings on the way to 80.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-tale ... &n=Palodin
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-tale ... n=Bloodtyr
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-tale ... n=Talisine

Now if our armory profiles would update.
Palodin Malygos
Resilience
Palodin

Return to Zul'aman