Fathom Lord

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Tiandelin » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:42 pm

Dorvan wrote:What prevents you from simply offtanking the adds and killing Fathomlord, or from just killing the shaman and then the fathomlord?

I can't imagine killing Karathress without downing the shaman at least. As for the others, it spreads your raid thin and really taxes your healers. The adds don't have nearly the HP that Karathress does, and killing them makes the fight vastly easier.

It's kinda like trying to kill Maulgar without taking out his adds first. You don't do yourself any favors attempting it that way.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Dorvan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:42 pm

I suppose that might be the case, it just seemed that the hunter and priest would each only require 1 tank and 1-2 healers....that still leaves a lot of the raid to simply nuke Fathomlord and heal the MT
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Kvaern » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:38 am

Dorvan wrote:I suppose that might be the case, it just seemed that the hunter and priest would each only require 1 tank and 1-2 healers....that still leaves a lot of the raid to simply nuke Fathomlord and heal the MT

Given time the hunter will do evil things to your healers mana.
Kvaern

Postby Gracerath » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:29 am

We tried the "kill the shaman first" strat and ended up with healers going oom while I was tanking the hunter. For our raid group, I tank the hunter simply for the ease of picking up the pet as it spawns. Consecrate is very... /cue audience.. "set it and forget it."

Something I've noticed is if I die, its always from the pet right after the hunter dies. I know he does the beast within ability for increased damage but I don't really take much extra that I've noticed while tanking both. Does the pet only get the buff after the hunter is dead? Maybe we just ran into some wonky strings of damage. I save my pocket watch for right when the hunter add dies to survive the damage from the pet or as the beast within is applied.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Questioner » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:01 am

Dorvan wrote:So my guild just made our first attempts on Fathomlord tonight (Leo down! but no fang). I was tanking the hunter and it worked fine, but our guild came up with a question the we couldn't find a good answer to...

What prevents you from simply offtanking the adds and killing Fathomlord, or from just killing the shaman and then the fathomlord?

I dare you to try it!

(Ok, no really he gets super powerful at 60% if you don't kill all the adds.)
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Dorvan » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:00 am

Questioner wrote:
Dorvan wrote:So my guild just made our first attempts on Fathomlord tonight (Leo down! but no fang). I was tanking the hunter and it worked fine, but our guild came up with a question the we couldn't find a good answer to...

What prevents you from simply offtanking the adds and killing Fathomlord, or from just killing the shaman and then the fathomlord?

I dare you to try it!

(Ok, no really he gets super powerful at 60% if you don't kill all the adds.)

Thanks, we figured that Blizzard would've had something in place to stop this approach, but a quick (as in while the raid was happening) look didn't reeal any obstacles.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Nevrosion » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:07 am

im tanking hunter on this fight.

pop conc halfway to ur spot as some said earlier. I sometimes find it difficult to actually see the pet, but if some1 starts shouting on TS that a bat or elemental is nuking them, u missed it :P but its tauntable so shouldnt be a big prob if u miss it. he also does the /whistle sound right b4 it spawns.
Nevrosion

Postby Tiandelin » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:29 pm

Apparently, once Karathress hits a certain health level, all the adds cast Blessing of the Tides on him, and it stacks.

So unless you really, really outgear the encounter, it's not practical to try to kill him before the adds.
Tiandelin

Postby Marlae » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:50 pm

We have our best geared tank on the shaman. Our other tanks are fairly even in gear and stats so they can take whichever. Our pally tank takes the hunter's pet as he is the only one guaranteed to pick it up properly.
Marlae

Postby Arianne » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:52 pm

We have the pet OT'd elsewhere, which prevents the tank from getting hit by the AoE spore burst or by the whirlwind thing that pops you up in the air. It also means that he doesn't despawn and summon a new one and that the burst damage during beast within is spread out. *shrug*
Arianne

Postby Demiblade » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:42 pm

Some Insights for Pally Tank on Hunter Guardian Sharkkis

I'm gonna do some knowledge sharing here because I solo tank hunter guardian Sharkkis + pet. He's the first target to die in our strat.

The Pull
Use SoR+JoR to pull instead of AS. AS critted for about instant 3k threat on shaman guardian Tidalvess once and made it hard for hunter misdirect to peel it off me. Timing the run-in part is critical. Don't rely on the countdown, just watch the Karathress tank's position and go in no earlier, no later.

The Knockbacks
Anticipiate knockbacks and make sure your back is facing a pillar (there is usually one on the path between his spawn point and tanking location) or a wall at all times.

A = 1st pillar to face your back
B = 2nd pillar to face your back
C = final tanking wall to face your back

Try to remember that you will be pulling him parallel to the ramp thing that's also parallel to entrace because you might not get not get a chance to look backwards and check where your destination wall is if you get tossed around with early knockbacks and pet runs around in chaos. Make sure DPS is conservative for the first 15 sec or so based on your ktm/omen threat till you reach final tanking position and guranteed no more knockbacks before they can open fire all out.

The Pet
The fight is messy. You might not be able to watch Sharkkis's cast bar all the time, especially during the inital positioning time when you need to build threat quick for DPS to open fire fast. Keep your game sound on. Sharkkis will do a loud whistle sound (very obvious, you can't miss it) whenever he summons his pet. Make sure you pop a consecrete the moment you hear it. Have your mana pots standby for that so the pet won't eat others alive. Bind your rank 1 consecrete as well just in case you don't have enough mana for the max rank one and mana pot is on CD. Evena a little tick from that will get the pet's attention the moment it spawns. Once it eats your holy shield, it's yours for the rest of the fight. This is one fight pally needs to be as hard working as a warrior on multi-target tanking. You might need to tab-switch between targets and JoR accordingly based on which target your team will be DPSing. There will be viper sting on you but SA will kinda negate it because 2 mobs will be doing so much dmg. Bind your rank 1 holy shield to use if you dodged multiple attacks in a row and almost OOM.

The Macro
/w <Sharkkis MT Name> Sharkkis's pet is on me. Please grab it!
Tell your team to use the macro one time if you didn't catch it with consecrete, and STOP DPSing the pet and DPS Sharkkis instead for a while till it's back on you. Pally tank can use BoP macro to BoP targetoftarget. It will get back on tank immediately if there's a consecrete ticking on ground. Just be careful not to cast it late and BoP yourself!

The Heals
This tank will be taking almost 2 times the damage of other guardian tanks (except Tidalvess one). Make sure your HP is topped up > 50% at all times. Don't hesitate to use health stone early for this. Else you could eat 50% of your hp shadow bolt from Karathress and 1 shotted instantly. This might be extremely stressful for 2 healers, especially when pet is out. Healers need to focus who is current target of Karathress's bolt and heal pre-emptively. Keep the HoTs and everything you have coming in. You can HoT the Karathress tank later all you want after this side is done.

The Transition
Your healers might need to rush to other sides once Sharkkis is down. You might be left with < 50% hp all alone. Hide at corner and badage+pot up as necessary. Don't even think about running to other side with 49% hp.
Last edited by Demiblade on Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Demiblade

Postby Tiandelin » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:02 pm

Out of curiosity Demiblade, do you tank Sharkkis at a separate location from Tidalvess? We tank the two very close together so that the effects of leeching throw (his viper sting) and spitfire totem are spread out among more people. I've never even come close to running out of mana this way, even when spamming consecrate.

Also, dps should be killing Sharkkis before his pet, since he can just summon a new one and waste everyone's precious time if you down it first. Holy shield and even the occasional consecrate should be enough to hold the thing on you after the initial JoR, assuming that nobody is beating on it prematurely.
Tiandelin

Postby Demiblade » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:52 am

Tiandelin wrote:Out of curiosity Demiblade, do you tank Sharkkis at a separate location from Tidalvess? We tank the two very close together so that the effects of leeching throw (his viper sting) and spitfire totem are spread out among more people. I've never even come close to running out of mana this way, even when spamming consecrate.

Also, dps should be killing Sharkkis before his pet, since he can just summon a new one and waste everyone's precious time if you down it first. Holy shield and even the occasional consecrate should be enough to hold the thing on you after the initial JoR, assuming that nobody is beating on it prematurely.

I have to tank Sharkkis because I am a tank class most suitable to handle him + add at the same time. We seperate him from Tidalvess because I end up taking more dmg from totems, and I'm given only 2 healers to work with, while 1 of them has to help HoT the Karathress tank as well. I manage to tank and down both hunter & pet fine with this setup, although mana issues could make things a bit rough sometimes.

Our Tidalvess group with a druid or warrior tank has enough issues as it is. I don't think they'd like some viper stings in the ass to make things more ugly.
Demiblade

Postby dern » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:47 am

We got him down last night on our 2nd night of attempts. First night 0 warlocks and 0 shaman, but a good learning experience none the less. After a few times letting his pet get out I had my timing down much better, learned to stick close to him at pull and watch for add spawning.

We showed up last night for a very clean 2 shot with a better-balanced raid. My 2 healers ran into some mana issues and I think a positioning issue as I was knocked back to the cubby hole I wanted to tank him from, but pot, healthstone, trinket, trinket, Lay on Hands had me crying out for heals in vent /lol

His damage was nasty, our first attempts last Thursday I had a warrior with me to keep an eye on my add in case I missed him. His shouts and thunderclap were very very helpful. Last nights attempt I had a feral druid over to do the same, I noticed taking quite a bit of damage, but the feral was able to innervate one of my healers, so that was helpful as well, but there were some very close calls. Once the rest of the raid was with me I just continued to tank both (last week we had the shammy druid tank taunt the pet) with the extra healers it was no issue and I ended the fight with basically full mana. - - -died to spitfire trying to help out on the MT as the preist was taken down /doh!
dern

Postby Demiblade » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:58 pm

I painted and posted in original post above the path on how to pull the hunter and pet using pillars. It works every time for me. Multi-target high threat is your personal bitch. Make sure your guild makes good use of that to nuke these targets that gotta die first, fast.
Demiblade

PreviousNext

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern