Beta post regarding reckoning

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Sharlos » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:54 am

I always liked the idea of turning Reckoning into a Holy Windfury, maybe only active with a 1hander to keep it out of the hands of the ret pallies.
I hate signatures, but i love irony
Sharlos

Postby Tev » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:05 am

Hmm, why not something like this;

4/7/10% chance when you take damage or block to activate, increasing damage dealt by your next 4 melee swings by 20%, and deals the damage as holy damage. Give it a nice holy glowy weapon effect to boot.

Has the 2 sided advantage of removing the parrygib effect from extra swings, while increasing damage by having the swing ignore armor (and do 20% increased damage) from dealing holy damage, and increasing the threat modifier from RV.

The damage potential is decreased somewhat (200% damage for up to 4 swings vs. 120% damage, but as holy damage so it would vary more based on the targets armor), but then again so is the total point investment.
Tev

Postby Arnock » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:10 am

GREAT post.

I would LOVE to have something happen to reckoning, it's one of the few 'fun' talents we have in the prot tree, and I'm loving the fact that I finally have extra points to spend in reckoning

unfortuntately.... it's still sub-optimal, and they really need to make reckoning not scale inversely with gear
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Eanin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:46 am

I'd love to see the extra swing do holy damage. That would make it worth it for me.
Eanin

Postby Chunes » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:09 am

what if they reworked the talent entirely?

shamelessly stealing from the warrior talent which i have spaced the name of,

"reckoning - <insert proc mechanic here, be it on dmg received, crit dealt, whatever>

instantly refreshes the cooldown of ShotR or HotR (or both >.>).

this would play hell with our 96969, but it would give our tanking a slightly different flavor.

this idea is just pure "what if" speculation, no real thought as to consequences on our current state of being really taken into account so take it with a grain of salt :P
Chunes

Postby Spaceman » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:22 am

Paladins have no "Overpower" or "Runestrike." So, why not simply change Reckoning to say:

Gives you a 10% chance after blocking or being hit by any damaging attack to strike the target for 15/30/45/60/75% weapon damage as Holy Damage.

Sure OP and RS are 200%, but they're also activated abilities (And since it's Holy Damage, it's unmitigated.). If someone could actually run numbers on this, or just tell me that it's a horrible idea because it's another form of reactive threat, just lemme know. (:
Spaceman

Postby Elsie » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:27 am

I don't think many people consider the solo power of reckoning with seal of light / wisdom (think old world bosses).

That said, it would make more sense to say "The next four attacks within 10 seconds causes an additional attack with holy damage equal to your weapon damage"

Or imo it could just have an effect tacked on. The buff could simply give you an additional 10 expertise for the duration to prevent parry-gib and buff all your other abilities.
Elsie

Postby Splug » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:23 pm

If the goal is to generate additional damage without skewing the threat situation, leaving it physical is the correct implementation. The impact of avoidance on the talent is still awkward.

Also, the thing to remember about rune strike is that it's replacing an autoattack. You do ensure the autoattack connects, so it is effectively gaining maybe 130% weapon damage (since it's also protected from glancing), but not the full listed 200%. On the other hand, it's worth acknowledging that's potentially a two-handed swing.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to WotLK