Remove Advertisements

Digital Distribution for Wrath... when?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Want to be able to download WotLK at launch?

Yes
59%
No
20%
No opinion/ CBH
21%

Total votes : 70

Postby Jtree » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:35 pm

Wait, so me and my roommates won't be able to buy one copy of the disks and get additional keys online?
Jtree

Postby Fahsky » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:46 am

No, you will not. ;_;

However, I am 100% sure they will release it digitally eventually. The comment that it will only be released on DVD clarified that it will not be on CD. Also, with it's digital distribution of old games, & the last EP, it only makes sense. Digital distribution is the way of the future, I'm sure of that, & it'll hit PCs first.

From this article -

In Leipzig, PC Gaming Alliance declares only 30 percent of platform's 2007 revenues were at retail; online income was $4.8 billion, digital distribution $2 billion.
Fahsky

Postby MomysLidlMonsta » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:59 am

djlar wrote:
Jobalq wrote:WTB Maintankadin WotlK Retail sell.

Here at Mexico we will only get Latin American (Spanish) Versions.

So we are at the same situation as EU.

I'M in the same boat, I could easily get it on Mexico stores, but, will it work with my already english version installed? We don't know until we try..

Or I could go risk going to El Paso, Tx and not finding a single copy available on any stores and miss out weeks until they re-stock? mmm

I could reserve my copy online, but like Bestbuy, will they REALLY reserved it? or you come to pick it up and there are none avail?

It won't work. Tried it when BC was released (I have the enGB version installed, but there were only german versions for sale) and I had to dl the client via bittorrent (it was a matter of 3hours or so and was already available at least 1 day before release) and upgrade with the Key from the box. Maybe this time I dl the language packages and patch to german, instal WotLK and patch back to english as soon as it is available.

For you it might even be more difficult, dunno how EU and US versions work together
MomysLidlMonsta

Postby BrutalBetty » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:25 am

As for digital downloads for our friends in far-away places. I too could host an image on my server. It should have a decent uplink from the co-lo, but I do have a bandwidth cap currently. If someone were to bug me about it and drop some cash in my paypal account we could set something up.

Im a canadian living in brasil and i cant find a game here too. I got my dad buy a copy for me in Montreal and ill have him e-mail me the cd-key. So yeah, he will try to Fedex me the game but until it get here and all, (who rly knows if it will even get here ) i would like to work something out with you so i could download it.

reply here, pm me or email me at ganad23@hotmail.com so we can work something out, willing to paypal

a desperate pally :(
BrutalBetty

Postby degre » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:28 am

Fahsky wrote:No, you will not. ;_;

However, I am 100% sure they will release it digitally eventually. The comment that it will only be released on DVD clarified that it will not be on CD. Also, with it's digital distribution of old games, & the last EP, it only makes sense. Digital distribution is the way of the future, I'm sure of that, & it'll hit PCs first.

From this article -

In Leipzig, PC Gaming Alliance declares only 30 percent of platform's 2007 revenues were at retail; online income was $4.8 billion, digital distribution $2 billion.

As a follow up the digital distribution makes sense, especially cause you are talking about stuff like recruit a friend and relative upgrade, or multiple accounts from which mostly you just need the key, no DL required.

If on patch day for 3.0 the net cried, with a digital distribution on LK release the net would die and you simply won't be able to play WoW for days, and think that lots of people downloaded most of the stuff in advance.

This is on top of all the aforementioned reason, mainly shop visibility is too much of a factor.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby Sheherezade » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:08 am

definitely CBH
Brainssss... ( <3 Murata Renge!)
Sheherezade

Postby trellian » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:38 am

I have unlimited BW on my colo (I own the network ;)) so if you need a couple of gigs of temporary harddisk space to place a DVD image for people overseas I have no problem with hosting it for a couple of days.

I myself will be getting the English European client. I'll upload an img as soon as I get it and post a link.
trellian

Postby PsiVen » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:04 am

enGB client will connect to US servers with minor modifications to realmlist.wtf

However you must not change the patch server because the patch versions are NOT compatible. This means that you're screwed every Tuesday because EU servers don't patch until Wednesday. However it will work as a stopgap if that's what you have available. Supposedly copying the beta data wotlk files to your WoW directory and allowing it to patch will work, but if you don't already have beta installed you might as well wait for the retail torrents to hit the interwebs.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby glmacedo » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:07 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:<QQs about Blizzard not selling in Brazil>

Hey Snake - are you also from Brazil???? Good to find a felow brazilian :) I'm mostly a lurker, though ;)
glmacedo

Previous

Return to WotLK