Remove Advertisements

GC's announcement as to our nerfs

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Obrimos » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:07 pm

Has the JoW or the JotW nerf hit live yet?
Obrimos

Postby Steve » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:13 pm

Are these experiences being relayed a product of Live/Sunwell raids or Beta Naxxramas raids?

There are a few important differences related to gear and encounter length that make any conclusions drawn from level 70 paladins in Sunwell of dubious value.

Edit: To be clear, I myself have not drawn any conclusions regarding these specific nerfs. I'm just apprehensive of any attempt to make mana function like a truly finite resource.
Steve

Postby Lore » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:15 pm

The only changes that were announced as being hotfixed were the JotW (that's Judgements of the Wise, not Judgement of Wisdom) and Seal/Judgement of Command nerfs. As far as I'm aware, nothing else sneaked in with them.

And yeah, our Ret pally didn't seem to have any problems at all. He still beat all our Rogues on KJ.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Elsie » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:23 pm

Lore wrote:The only changes that were announced as being hotfixed were the JotW (that's Judgements of the Wise, not Judgement of Wisdom) and Seal/Judgement of Command nerfs. As far as I'm aware, nothing else sneaked in with them.

And yeah, our Ret pally didn't seem to have any problems at all. He still beat all our Rogues on KJ.

How did he compare on Brutallus? I'm more curious to see the result in different armor (brut is 7700 where KJ is 6600). PM me the WWS?
Elsie

Postby fafhrd » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Lore wrote:And yeah, our Ret pally didn't seem to have any problems at all. He still beat all our Rogues on KJ.

She?

Also, doesn't http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=46474 make this something of a given?
Last edited by fafhrd on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Splug » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

I don't think we wws'd our run, but I think I remember recount looked something like:

Tri-spec fury-ish warrior (10.0%)
Moonkin (~8.0%)
BM Hunter (7.5%)
Glaive Rogue (7.3%)
Retribution Paladin (7.2%)

I forget the exact percentages for 2-5, but I recall our ret paladin being fairly high and that after Nomepunter it was all pretty close.

-Splug
Last edited by Splug on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Lore » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:34 pm

fafhrd wrote:
Lore wrote:And yeah, our Ret pally didn't seem to have any problems at all. He still beat all our Rogues on KJ.

She?

Also, doesn't http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=46474 make this something of a given?

Ret Pallies don't do much in the way of Holy damage anymore, but it does help yeah.

On the other hand, Phase 5 lasted about 30 seconds.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Lore » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:35 pm

Elsie wrote:
Lore wrote:The only changes that were announced as being hotfixed were the JotW (that's Judgements of the Wise, not Judgement of Wisdom) and Seal/Judgement of Command nerfs. As far as I'm aware, nothing else sneaked in with them.

How did he compare on Brutallus? I'm more curious to see the result in different armor (brut is 7700 where KJ is 6600). PM me the WWS?

Haven't done Brut since the nerfs were hotfixed in. We did KJ late Monday night.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Dianora » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:39 pm

I assumed your ret pally was using Seal of Blood, thus not directly affected by the rest of the seal/judge nerf yet?
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby fafhrd » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:40 pm

assuming wws uploads are working today i can probably get your a post-hotfix brut and kj when i get home elsie.

will trade for pix of elsie on lore action
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Lore » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:42 pm

Dianora wrote:

I assumed your ret pally was using Seal of Blood, thus not directly affected by the rest of the seal/judge nerf yet?

Yeah actually now that I think about it I don't know why he would have seen anything different on KJ at all. There's so much raid damage + the regen buff from the dragons would make the JotW change meaningless.

So, nevermind, carry on.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby steadypal » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:15 pm

my seals/judges are doing alot less dmg since monday night
steadypal

Postby Karock » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:30 pm

The current plan is to not nerf SoB at all anyways so it's just a nerf to soloing/pvp (normally) damage.

In fact they hotfixed SoB back up on the beta before it went down.

EDIT: and since mana is basically no problem in raids it's just a nerf to small groups/soloing/pvp >.>
Karock

Postby cordelia » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:18 pm

So, with all this talk re: anecdotal evidence, I decided to test the change to JotW.

Solo'ing, I kill non elite mobs too fast, and don't run into mana problems. I judge, DS, then CS, and by then it's dead. Sometimes I don't have to CS. I don't remember using HoW, but I may have once or twice. The miniscule amount of spirit regen I get running from mob to mob offsets the mana usage. I DO slowly go OOM, but it takes ~20 mobs or so. This, of course, may not be true for a ret pally in greens who is just hitting outlands. Note, this is single mob farming, not multi-mob pulls.

I decided to go do a couple 5'mans. My 5man group was an arms warrior, hunter, a prot pally using BoSanc, holy pally w/kings, and myself using might/wis(on healer only). I would consistently be the first person OOM, usually after ~4-5 pulls. Once we moved from heroic BF to heroic ShatHalls, it got much worse. Obvioulsy, on 4+ mob pulls, I would use consecrate. I would go OOM every 2 pulls. The healer would be at 90% mana, the prot pally @80-100%, and the hunter would be ~half mana.

At this point, I asked the prot pally to bless me with Wisdom, and start using JoW every pull on my target, rather than relying on the prot to judge wisdom. I would still go OOM shortly after 3 pulls. On the boss fights, I was able to sustain rotations pretty well, but I used consecrate sparingly.

---------------------

Conclusions: It seems the JotW nerf does not hurt raiding dps very much. This is probably because of all the extra raid buffs provided, as well as the raid damage providing SA mana return. Solo'ing, the effect is inconclusive: It doesn't affect an over-geared single mob-farming situation, but I don't know about questing/leveling in a green geared situation. In parties, especially on AoE pulls where consecration is a necessary part of the rotation, the JotW debuff is severe. I don't see how a ret pally can keep up without drinking every other pull, slowing down the whole party.
cordelia

Postby knaughty » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:40 pm

cordelia wrote:I don't see how a ret pally can keep up without drinking every other pull, slowing down the whole party.

Divine Plea at 71 is going to help rather a lot.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK