Remove Advertisements

Digital Distribution for Wrath... when?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Want to be able to download WotLK at launch?

Yes
59%
No
20%
No opinion/ CBH
21%

Total votes : 70

Digital Distribution for Wrath... when?

Postby Fahsky » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:52 am

I know no one here has a crystal ball, or works for Blizz (or do you? :o), but the official forums are a cesspool. Sorry if I accidentally cloned some old topic.

Two questions-
1) How quickly do you think Blizz will (or should) offer up WotLK for digital distribution?
2) How long was it before TBC was available for download (my memory = crap)?

I'm guessing about a month, maybe two, just to let the retailers whoop & moneygrab. Thank you Gamestop for taking my $5 reservation to sit in your savings account, then telling me oopsie I can't really have a CE copy unless I want to show up hours early to wait in a throng of sweaty basement dwelling gamers for the midnight launch & pray to get the one extra, & jading me of the whole damn thing. :roll:
Fahsky

Postby ulushnar » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:09 am

Given the way some ISPs groaned when the 3.0.2 patch was released, I'm not sure Blizz will be going for Digital distribution at launch.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Elsie » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:54 am

midnight release ftw

Remember to store 3.0.2+ patches locally before November 13th.
Elsie

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:29 am

<QQs about Blizzard not selling in Brazil>
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby lusisia » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:07 am

Snake-Aes wrote:<QQs about Blizzard not selling in Brazil>

Further QQ about trying to ship to Brazil and getting it returned 3 months later from customs =/
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:09 am

lusisia wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:<QQs about Blizzard not selling in Brazil>

Further QQ about trying to ship to Brazil and getting it returned 3 months later from customs =/
;_;
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Whait » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:02 am

blizz wil not have a digital copy at launch, they have contracts with the physical distributers to promote the game in their locations if blizz launched a digital copy blizz would lose a ton of money they spent making all the hard copys and such
Whait

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:04 am

It'll be like 6 to 12 months after release.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Re: .

Postby kurros » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:08 am

Whait wrote:blizz wil not have a digital copy at launch, they have contracts with the physical distributers to promote the game in their locations if blizz launched a digital copy blizz would lose a ton of money they spent making all the hard copys and such

If there was a digital copy available at launch blizzard could save money and NOT make those physical copies.
Anyway, lets just agree to disagree. Go away, or I'll just start reporting you to the mods for being a troll. In exchange, I'll stop pointing out your stupid in public.
kurros

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:21 am

Sabindeus wrote:It'll be like 6 to 12 months after release.
I really, really hate you.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Whait » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:45 am

kurros wrote:
Whait wrote:blizz wil not have a digital copy at launch, they have contracts with the physical distributers to promote the game in their locations if blizz launched a digital copy blizz would lose a ton of money they spent making all the hard copys and such

If there was a digital copy available at launch blizzard could save money and NOT make those physical copies.

yeah sure but they have already made them,
hindsight is always better then 20/20
Whait

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:47 am

kurros wrote:

except for all that money they lose by not selling it via retailers and also paying for overwhelming bandwidth
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Barathorn » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:51 am

Snake-Aes wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:It'll be like 6 to 12 months after release.
I really, really hate you.

Can't I just buy a copy and ship it to you as a gift Snake? Or will that still involve Customs?
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:40 am

There's a very good chance it'll involve customs. Lus tried to hand me a nPad or whateveri t's called and it returned after a few months.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby lusisia » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:39 am

Snake-Aes wrote:There's a very good chance it'll involve customs. Lus tried to hand me a nPad or whateveri t's called and it returned after a few months.

Yeah basically I tried to send Snake a Nostromo N52 that newegg had on sale. I finally got it shipped via FedEx and it got returned 2 or 3 months later. There could have been some confusion with the addressing scheme among other things but I think I remember it just simply being rejected.

Now with Wrath, it's quite possible that you could do the following:

Buy an extra copy
Email the key
Host an image on Bittorrent or somewhere else (Amazon S3) so that he can download it.

The only serious delay will come from the transfer times. I mean, you're going to be waiting for the install to finish. Assuming a reasonable upload rate (hell, I could go into the office at midnight and use the 100MB fiber uplink), you'll be installing anyway while the upload is going on.

I'll need to do some math (isn't the game only being shipped on DVD?) as to how long the upload would take but after it's up, the only delay is the time it takes Snake to download from wherever. That's much better (i.e. on the order of several hours) vs. the days it would take to get a physical copy in or wait for someone else to ship it.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to WotLK