Best way to get a US copy of WotLK in Europe

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Best way to get a US copy of WotLK in Europe

Postby Janduin » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:56 pm

Any ideas? When I started playing vanilla and when TBC came out, I was living in California, so I play on a US server with my girlfriend, who is stateside. So I need a US copy of Wrath, but I have yet to find a US retailer who will ship internationally, and plus I'd like to have it by day one or two if possible.

Anyone else in this situation? Ideas? Will blizzard off online upgrades immediately or delay it like they did in TBC? I could have my girlfriend buy me a copy and send me the key, but I don't think I could explain to her how to rip and send all the DVDs.

Thanks,

Janduin
Janduin

Postby Whait » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:00 pm

ebay. it will be overpriced but it can get to you or get buddy buddy with some us military types and have them order it for you from amazon. i play on a us server in germany its what i do/had to do when BC came out
Whait

Postby PsiVen » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:08 pm

Online upgrades will definitely not be offered immediately. Blizzard probably has a contract with retailers stipulating a lockout for online sales. Whether this would apply to internationals is unclear, but they don't really support EU players on US realms anyway.

The real question is, will the installer be available online immediately? I think they probably will, but I have no idea what the case was for TBC. Anyone remember? In this case you would need only the CD-Key and some patience on a decent connection.

I'd be shocked if there are no online retailers who will ship to you internationally, though same-day would probably be murderously expensive.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby moduspwnens » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:13 pm

Fly over here and steal it!
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Dapaladin » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:18 pm

can't you play on US servers with an EU copy of the game? just have to change some text file that gets which realm list server to connect to?
Dapaladin

Postby Playdoh » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:15 pm

Also, aren't there usually 3rd party torrents to d/l blizzard software. You could then have your girlfriend buy you a copy stateside and give you the key code to upgrade your account online.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby sahiel » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:21 pm

Have her buy it on release and mail it 1 or 2day airmail to you? You're unlikely to get a physical copy any faster from a US store, in fact it'd probably be much more slow to arrive.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Re: Best way to get a US copy of WotLK in Europe

Postby fiorina » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:26 pm

Janduin wrote:Any ideas? When I started playing vanilla and when TBC came out, I was living in California, so I play on a US server with my girlfriend, who is stateside. So I need a US copy of Wrath, but I have yet to find a US retailer who will ship internationally, and plus I'd like to have it by day one or two if possible.

Anyone else in this situation? Ideas? Will blizzard off online upgrades immediately or delay it like they did in TBC? I could have my girlfriend buy me a copy and send me the key, but I don't think I could explain to her how to rip and send all the DVDs.

Thanks,

Janduin

Well, technically you need just US WotLK key. So ask some US friend to buy you one. I am doing it like this both for EU and US versions if I happen to be on the other side of Atlantic at time of release.

EU and US versions of game are identical, you just have to patch EU version with GB patches. Since release it happened only once, they've patched EU version with EU specific minipatch.

You can buy game from US store and ship it to EU. You just have to pay custom fee and tax upon arrival in your country. Shipping fee is huge since they use FedEx.

I suggest eBay or friend who will ship it to you. Ask him to tag it as a gift and mark value of package as a 5$ or so, you don't have to pay custom fee and tax then :>
Last edited by fiorina on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby fafhrd » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:30 pm

Janduin wrote:I could have my girlfriend buy me a copy and send me the key, but I don't think I could explain to her how to rip and send all the DVDs.

Thanks,

Janduin

You could have her just mail the DVD (DVDs?). It's not terribly expensive to mail across the pond, although I suppose you'd want it delivered within a day or two, so the cost rises dramatically depending on how long you can wait.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Tirion » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:31 pm

just use amazon.com

I just got an e-mail saying they are selling WotLK
Tirion

Postby fiorina » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:37 pm

Tirion wrote:just use amazon.com

I just got an e-mail saying they are selling WotLK

World Of Warcraft Expansion: Burning Crusade - Windows
$19.99 - In Stock
Condition: new
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

*** We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order by changing its quantity to 0 and clicking the update button below

I am quite sure, you can't send software from US Amazon to Europe. Books or music maybe, but software, that's blasphemy
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby fiorina » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:44 pm

fafhrd wrote:
Janduin wrote:I could have my girlfriend buy me a copy and send me the key, but I don't think I could explain to her how to rip and send all the DVDs.

Thanks,

Janduin

You could have her just mail the DVD (DVDs?). It's not terribly expensive to mail across the pond, although I suppose you'd want it delivered within a day or two, so the cost rises dramatically depending on how long you can wait.

^^ Shipping was around 50USD in case of 2-3 day delivery(US post if I remember). Could be bit more with Fedex/UPS/DHL but you will have it next day.

Just ask your gf to unpack it and mark it as a gift, so you don't have to pay taxes and extra custom fees in Swi :)
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Vika » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:54 pm

I dealt with a similar problem when TBC came out -- I was using a US version of WoW but was spending some time in the UK when it hit stores. TBC was not available online at release -- if they put WotLK up immediately, you may be able to simply download it an buy a US key from Blizz (or a third party distributor). What I found from hunting around is that there are a number of distributors that will e-mail you the key if requested and then ship you the product separately. So that's one option if Blizz doesn't put the online option up immediately (it's quite possible someone will have the files up somewhere).

As I said, the game files weren't available from Blizz's website when TBC first came out (at least, not in the UK). I called them up and was told that the EU version was not compatible with the US version, so I would need the actual US files to ugrade. I wound up hunting around for a distributor that ships overseas -- Amazon worked for me, but only after I contacted them by phone (+1 206 266 2992). From what I could gather, they did not want to handle orders that potentially caused licensing issues through their online, automated system. If they can't ship to your current location, keep hunting. There are distributors who ship overseas and it typically only takes 2-3 days. I wound up getting TBC this way; it cost me ~16GBP for shipping, iirc, and I had the game 3 days after release. It's even possible that Blizz will ship the US version to you now.

Hope this info is helpful.
Vika

Postby Elsie » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:17 am

Get your girlfriend to ship it to Canada with an address that doesn't exist and yourself as the return address ^.~
(not that I suggest doing this)

More seriously, I agree with everyone else. If you know someone state-side it shouldn't be an issue to get it shipped to you.
Elsie

Postby Janduin » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:32 am

From reading these (very helpful) replies, it seems my best bet is to ask my girlfriend to buy 2 copies, email me the key of one of them, and then ship me the DVDs. If I can find the installer online I'll get it a little faster perhaps. Anybody planning on uploading the installer/DVD images? :D
Janduin

Return to WotLK