Remove Advertisements

I haven't done the obligitory "Am I rdy to tank X yet&q

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

I haven't done the obligitory "Am I rdy to tank X yet&q

Postby xuldinga » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:35 pm

I have read the guides (been following a uncrushable one), the basic tank thread, advance tank, talent specs, and gear thread. I have gained a lot of knowledge for my class and I thank Worldie, Invisa, Snake, and quite a few others that aren't on the top of my head just yet. I would still like a few suggestions as where to now, some one who has a better handle on this than me to either say "bad dog, don''t do that", or at least tell me if I am on the right track. I have been trying to enchant/gem with the best my income allows me, but since I dont even have enough g for my epic flyer yet I am a bit limited (about 2k gold). I already off tanked kara once (it was amazing) but the main tank was considerably better geared than me so I don't know how much of it was only passable because of him. My goal is not to be causually slapped around like a little bitch in a heroic (SV giants owned me) and prolly tank a raid or 2 at some point. I am sitting on about 12.5k hp unbuffed and 275 def (such a bitch getting the last 15 points) . Plz, look up Wrath on DrakThul US and drop me a few words of wisdom. Thanks in advance.
Wrath/LvL 70 Dra Prot Pally/Drak'Thul.

Which side are we on?
We're on the side of the demons, chief.
We're evil men in the gardens of paradise,
sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go.
xuldinga

Re: I haven't done the obligitory "Am I rdy to tank X y

Postby Bk992004 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:39 pm

xuldinga wrote: and 275 def (such a bitch getting the last 15 points) . Plz, look up Wrath on DrakThul US and drop me a few words of wisdom. Thanks in advance.

1st... your Def is 473, not 275. I was quite confused until I looked you up, but yeah.

2nd... I don't know what's wrong, but I can't get your wrist, waist, boots, or top trinket to show up in the armory, so someone else will have to help with that.

3rd... You're fine for off-tanking without the 490, and can probably even pick up the early bosses with no worries, as long as your healers are competent. You should be fine through illhoof and shade. The dragons and prince might give you a hard time, though.
Bk992004

Postby Losbullitt » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:30 am

I have 12.9k hp, 497 def, mostly kara gear, badge chest (SSO) and badge wrist (Shat). Spell power is over 400 with King's Defender (The 3.0.2 patch killed my defense) and mana tips a little over 4k. I can MT kara (prefer another pally plus druid plus priest for maximum buff) relatively easy and OT/MT ZA. I've cleared all the heroics (though 3.0.2 does make it much easier).

I have Time Warden's leggings and 3 stacked the +12 stamina gems to them. Your mitigation bonus (102.4) isn't nearly as important as it was pre 3.0.2. However, you shouldn't abandon it completely. I'm sure I can get more hp through stacking more +12 stam gems through the rest of my pieces but I'd lose out on spell power, avoidance and defense. So I'll leave it like this for the time being. On Uther, I can pick up blue stamina gems for around 30 gold a piece.

You also might want to take a look at rotation. Are you popping holy shield up often? Pulling more than you can handle? Does your healer suck?

Confidence can be a big factor. When I first started heroics, ramps would own me after the first boss. But after getting gear and figuring things out (short cuts, higher avoidance), it became easier. Respec to Ret and run as DPS to get badges for gear. Then reinvest those badges in tanking gear. PVP helps for Ret DPS.

Anyway, good luck.
Losbullitt

Postby xuldinga » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:09 pm

oops...275? WTF did that come from?

Thanks you guys for the advice. I am currently on a trek for new wrists (green quest reward...+def from area51) and belt is a random green. the boots are the tank boots from kara (avoidance? ) and my last good upgrade (besides the libram I got with my badges). I know I have on the poultryizer for the 45 stam, and dabri enigma. Sorry for the vagueness, but since I am at work I can't even access the armoury from here.

I think the confidence is a big issue that I will need once I tank H. and kara more. I was kinda shakey when I first started tanking before, and I got the hang of it. Now it just seems all the more bigger and intimidating with heroics. Its good to know at least stat wise I am capable.

Which side are we on?
sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go.
xuldinga

Postby Kelaan » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:58 pm

xuldinga wrote:I think the confidence is a big issue that I will need once I tank H. and kara more. I was kinda shakey when I first started tanking before, and I got the hang of it. Now it just seems all the more bigger and intimidating with heroics. Its good to know at least stat wise I am capable.

Exactly. :) Just Go do It. For more details, go see my reply to Equillian:
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... hp?t=15994

Basically, go tank the easier heroics, and don't expect to be able toAOE everything. Take some solid DPS and a CC or two. Don't be afraid to try aoe-ing more, but yeah. Save bubblewall for the pulls that are REALLY hard hitting. Consider using Kings and stam food/flask as well if you need to.

Don't worry, it's not a bad as you fear :)
Kelaan

Postby Equillian » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:13 am

Agreed, fear was my biggest problem to overcome.
I always have a minute, sometimes its taken by someone, but there's always the next.
Equillian

Postby xuldinga » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:14 pm

Kelaan wrote:Consider using Kings and stam food/flask as well if you need to.

this reminds me of a question I have been having but I couldn't find it already on this forum. with the 3.0 changes, which flasks are recomended? I have a 375 alc and the only one he can currently make is the flask that boosts AP (dont remember the name). I usually just use him for my daily transmutes so I havent messed with flasks much so I hadn't been doing rep grinds with him to learn more. Whats a good flask to use now?

Which side are we on?
xuldinga

Postby majiben » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:28 pm

Acceptable flasks and elixirs are:
Code: Select all
Flask of Fortitude
Flask of Relentless Assault
Flask of Chromatic Wonder
Elixir of Fortitue
Elixir of Major Armor
Elixir of Mastery
Elixir of Major Strength
Elixir of Major Agility

Sub par but benifical flasks and elixirs are:
Code: Select all
Flask of Supreme Power
Flask of Blinding Light
Greater Arcance Elixir
Adept's Elixir
Earthen Elixir
Elixir of Healing Power
Onslaugth Elixir

You can use these if you still have them laying around but never seek them out.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics