Remove Advertisements

Karazhan: Solo tankable?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Postby Kaelie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:53 pm

There's a strat for that room? We just kind of blast the crap out of everything while I sit there and decurse the whole time.
Kaelie

Postby Aina » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:31 am

Tiandelin wrote:
Aina wrote:The one pull with the 3 Warlocks and imps on the way to Aran was kinda "pull and let god sort it out", but those mobs aren't really a threat. All the other trash was 100% under control.

Have the rest of the raid stand about halfway down the hall leading up to that room. Hit divine shield and run in. All the mobs in the room will pile onto you in melee range. Hit consecrate, click off your bubble, and call for aoe.

Yeah, a bubble-pull would work well. It's just that I have the feeling that someone could mess it up by casting something and pulling aggro before I de-bubble. And like I said, those mobs aren't really a danger, so doesn't matter much :)

I keep having this feeling of "Whoohoo!" :D

Any opinions on the 2nd half of Kara I have left to do? Attumen, Maiden, Netherspite and Nightbane? Should be doable solo, right?
Aina

Postby Worldie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:32 am

Ye, well you'll need someone to take the red beam also, but any shaman or dps warrior or paladin or druid can do that.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby adese » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:30 am

Aina wrote:-I've solo-tanked Attumen before, may have to use some extra shackle/trap on trash.

If you can solo tank all of Kara, it should be no problem to just AoE tank the trash to Attumen. The only parts that would even pretend to cause a problem are the last two pulls of 4 and 5 mobs, but even they aren't bad. Just make sure the DPS takes out the humanoids first, since they can heal.

Aina wrote:-Never tanked Maiden, I guess the only downside will be that DPS has to hold back a bit because my threat-rotation will get trouble from silence.

Yeah, our threat generation is really gimped for this fight. Just spam your spells, and make sure that DPS is watching their threat meter, and you should be fine.

Aina wrote:-Netherspite, I dunno... you don't have to be a tank to take the red beam, right? :)

You do need someone else in plate to stand in the red beam. For various reasons we've had a shammy and a hunter try to tank him, and either it really strained the healers, or just plain didn't go well. If you have a DPS warrior/holy pally along with semi-decent tank gear, it should be doable though.

Aina wrote:-Nightbane, the "lol paladins can't tank this fight", is my lootbag :twisted: So no worries there.

Yeah, we can easily tank Nightbane. There are a couple of threads around in the strategies forum that say what you need to do.
adese

Postby SmurfZG » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:31 am

I've solo tanked all of kara.
1 tank, 7 dps 2 healers

moroes: bosac someone with garrote, problem solved.
skeletal ushers: have 2 shackles and shackle the one you're working on if you get ice-cubed.
romulo and julianne: tank both.
netherspite: anyone can tank this one for some debuffs, preferably shamans, paladins and druids though. You don't need to heal the one in the red beam since he gets full hp every tick.

there's really nothing else you have to think about..
SmurfZG

Postby sissylala » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:34 pm

i solo tank kara almost all of the time.

things to watch for is the mobs prior to opera. the skellie dudes can freeze you but if you have a hunter pet pick up its cool. also in the library are the packs of 2 that are there. they hit decent hard but if you got a dps warrior shield and sword that crud and keep going.
sissylala

Postby Tiandelin » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:49 pm

adese wrote:You do need someone else in plate to stand in the red beam. For various reasons we've had a shammy and a hunter try to tank him, and either it really strained the healers, or just plain didn't go well. If you have a DPS warrior/holy pally along with semi-decent tank gear, it should be doable though.

Why would it strain the healers? The person in the red beam gets healed to full regardless every second. Healers should be focused on the rest of the raid.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby adese » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:28 am

Tiandelin wrote:
adese wrote:You do need someone else in plate to stand in the red beam. For various reasons we've had a shammy and a hunter try to tank him, and either it really strained the healers, or just plain didn't go well. If you have a DPS warrior/holy pally along with semi-decent tank gear, it should be doable though.

Why would it strain the healers? The person in the red beam gets healed to full regardless every second. Healers should be focused on the rest of the raid.

That is true. Maybe I was incorrect - I just recall the attempts not going well at all when we had non-plate toons standing in the red beam, when they normally go fine. Since this was after people had died, it could have been that we just had too many die for the attempt to finish successfully.
adese

Postby Aina » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:43 am

Well, the thing to look out for is that Netherspite can hit really hard on a non-tank. So there's a danger of getting "one-shot", even if you get healed to full every second.

I dunno how true these numbers are, but looking at WoWWiki:

Basic Melee: Netherspite hits for roughly 8k on cloth, without any buffs stacked on him.
Nether Burn: Aura type spell, deals 1200 shadow damage every 5 sec, affected by line of sight.
Empowerment: Undispellable self-buff that increases damage by 200%. Cast during Portal phase a few seconds after beams come up and will remain for the whole phase.

I dunno what is effected by Empowerment and what isn't but that could add up to a 8k x 2(empower) x 2(crit) = 32k crit on cloth. Add Nether Burn and the effect of the Red Beam if you like, but it's clear that he can output some pretty high numbers. I've seen hunters go down before.

So altough healing doesn't really effect the chances of succes on the red beam, it does pose risks if you put a clothie up there.

To get back on the original topic though, I'm pretty certain I'll solo-tank the upcoming raid too. I'm just going to keep Netherspite for last.
Aina

Postby guillex » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:41 am

Aina wrote:Now I have to think about our second Kara raid next monday. Attumen, Maiden, Nightbane and Netherspite are still alive. I suppose those will be doable too.
-I've solo-tanked Attumen before, may have to use some extra shackle/trap on trash.

There's a 5 pull right before Midnight ... It might give you trouble... If you have a healbot in the group, have him take up fearing duties, and make sure the humans go down fast, etc.etc.

Aina wrote:-Never tanked Maiden, I guess the only downside will be that DPS has to hold back a bit because my threat-rotation will get trouble from silence.

The first and only time I've tanked her in my current guild (regulars aren't showing up for their groups on raid nights, so we're behind this week), I had no problems whatsoever keeping aggro. She silences, yes, but you always have a small window where you can spam stuff. I make sure that HS is up, then pop JoR/SoR, can of slaphappyfishcakes, and consecrate. If AW is up (which it wasn't last time, we killed her in under 2.5 minutes), pop it again if you can.
Again, we had no problems with her.

Aina wrote:-Netherspite, I dunno... you don't have to be a tank to take the red beam, right? :)

Just dance in the red beam ... I think it's 2stacks on you, get out and let it stack to 2 on him, jump back in... You'll still need to rotate with someone because of the debuff.

Aina wrote:-Nightbane, the "lol paladins can't tank this fight", is my lootbag :twisted: So no worries there.

Anything I should remember?

P.S. It's good to be a Tankadin...

Just keep picking him up ... Fear... oh wait, you're horde aren't you? May Uther be with you...
Last edited by guillex on Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Questioner » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:32 am

Guillex wrote:The first and only time I've tanked her in my current guild (regulars aren't showing up for their groups on raid nights, so we're behind this week), I had no problems whatsoever keeping aggro. She silences, yes, but you always have a small window where you can spam stuff. I make sure that HS is up, then pop JoR/SoR, exorcism, and consecrate

Maiden is a humanoid and therefore not affected by exorcism...that's why you got all those error messages. :lol:
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby guillex » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:24 pm

Questioner wrote:
Guillex wrote:The first and only time I've tanked her in my current guild (regulars aren't showing up for their groups on raid nights, so we're behind this week), I had no problems whatsoever keeping aggro. She silences, yes, but you always have a small window where you can spam stuff. I make sure that HS is up, then pop JoR/SoR, exorcism, and consecrate

Maiden is a humanoid and therefore not affected by exorcism...that's why you got all those error messages. :lol:

I was typing fast, didn't mean to have that in there ... I'll fix it.... And ... to be honest, she's uncategorized. :P
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Girard » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:45 pm

Morose is VERY easily solo tankable by a pally.

=)
Girard

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations