Remove Advertisements

Character Advice / Suggestions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Character Advice / Suggestions

Postby Equillian » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:13 am

ALright, throwing myself at all your mercy here...

Can you all take a look at Equillian on Steamwheedle Cartel and tell me what you'd do differently?

I want to start with heroics. I can solo HH but thats not really a big feat. Regular instances are not a problem, even with sub par healers.

Theres gotta be alot for me to change, so pick me apart, just be nice :)
I always have a minute, sometimes its taken by someone, but there's always the next.
Equillian

Postby Kelaan » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:20 am

Your first advice will be to look at the gear advice sticky. ;) Sorry I can't give more constructive stuff than that, but that thread (even if you just READ a few pages) is likely to help you learn stuff, also.

If you haven't read them, I suggest reading:

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f64/4053 ... h-day.html
- written by Lore, one of the pillars of the Maintankadin community.

http://honorscode.blogspot.com/2008/10/ ... neral.html
- an 8-part set of blog posts by Honorshammer covering basically the same info. You may find it easier or harder to read than Lore's.

(there's also a plethora of Good Info in the basic training and wotlk subforums... but these are very good encapsulations of How2Tank (including how to gear)... and thus you can likely answer many of you rown questions, and ensure that people's advice doesn't go over your head too much. :)
Kelaan

Postby Equillian » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:24 am

Your first advice will be to look at the gear advice sticky.

Oh I do. I'm all over here even if I dont post that much. I think I'm doing "all right". I was wanting people to take a look at say "Ah ha, this here... right here, this is wrong. Do this.".

Be it talents, or some piece of lolgear or whatever. Sorry if I wasnt more precise. I really have read alot of the stickies. (Lore's guide was the first).
I always have a minute, sometimes its taken by someone, but there's always the next.
Equillian

Postby Equillian » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:14 pm

Alright, updated: I'm at 102.8% avoidance and 11600hp. I'm tanking Reg's like a champ and I havent tried heroics. How about some suggestions for heroics?
Equillian

Postby Kelaan » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:57 pm

Equillian wrote:Alright, updated: I'm at 102.8% avoidance and 11600hp. I'm tanking Reg's like a champ and I havent tried heroics. How about some suggestions for heroics?

Trade out some un-hittability for effective health, if you feel you need to. That said, you're only ~1k behind me. You're probably FINE. Socket your sockets with defense and/or stamina, and you are likely Good to Go. Consider picking up some stamina food, for extra 200-300 health.

Do Slave Pens, perhaps Shattered Halls. The Heroics sticky lists a good rundown of which are harder and such. I find Underbog/SP/SV to be exceptionally easy, but then I know those instances well. Mechanar is pretty easy -- your only real worries, IMO, are survivingthe burst damage in some places. Consider blessing Kings for rough pulls (esp the robots!). Bring a warlock, etc. Flask if you feel it's necessary ... but I don't think it will be. Devotion Aura and Kings will do a lot for you.

Basically, you have PLENTY of gear to do heroics, as long as your groupmates don't expect you to AOE tank all of it -- and in some places like SP you probably can. (The double heavy dudes in SP can be stunned, and you can burn the armor trinket and bubblewall now.) This means you probably want friends or guildmates rather than PUGs ... but even they can be good to work with. PUG members often are not picky about tanks, esp if you did the inviting. ;)

In fact, for ANY pull that you think will be rough, I'd suggest Divine Protection (bubblewall). They're usually not one right after another. If they ARE, you're in one of the harder instances like MgT or Ramparts or Blood Furnace. Don't do that. ;)

I suggest doing (in roughtly this order):
- Slave Pens
- Underbog
- Mechanar (get a rogue to kick the robots, or a warrior who can pummel. You can alternate HoJ's, also, if you get a ret paladin.)
- Shattered Halls (I'm assuming you've run this a bajillion times on normal like I did and can almost sleep through it. Skip the gladiators if you can, but you're probably OK even on those - esp now that str->BV is in effect.)
- Botanica. Treemenders and some of the blood elves in the last few pulls can HURT... mind control helps a LOT here. Bring a warlock for banish/enslave.

That's more than I can do in a day. :-) Your first trips will be rude wakeups. "Oh, yeah, this is heroic.", etc. Don't worry. You can do it.
Kelaan

Postby Equillian » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:24 am

This is GREAT!

I swapped out my gear to where I had a lil over 95% avoidance and 12600 health (before kings and fort)...

Last night I did Heroic SP... we had only one death (not a wipe, a death) due to the warlock getting a lil too triggerhappy. I was taking 3-6 on at a time. My damage was on top, and it only got close once or twice.

After acing that, I noticed a group looking for a tank for Heroic Black Morass... joined them, it was some generic pug... not one death.

Thanks so much to everyone for the responses and even the one who was giving me pointers via PM's. You're all awesome. I'm MTing Kara this weekend.... duh duh duuuuuuuuuuuuuuun ^_^
Equillian

Postby Equillian » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:27 am

I would like to know how H-BM compares on your list of easy to hard heroics, Kel. Just for my own knowledge.
Equillian

Postby Kathane » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:16 am

Equillian wrote:I would like to know how H-BM compares on your list of easy to hard heroics, Kel. Just for my own knowledge.

Before the BoSanc changes, mid-top, due to mana management, and needing a good group, particularly on the 2nd boss. Now, I'd say mid-range. Just my opinion, though :-)
"What's the kill order?"
"This room, the next room, the hallway, and then the boss."
*throws shield*

Kathane

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics