My Wotlk 10 man team

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby PsiVen » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:14 am

Holy paladins sacrifice more than any other to pick up Kings in a PvE spec. They'll still want to have it if they're the only paladin or the only other paladin is Prot, but in all other cases it should ideally be avoided.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Levantine » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:16 am

Macha wrote:
Majiben wrote:Your holy paladins will not be picking up BoK at 80.

The good ones will.

No, they really won't. Holy Paladins give up more than Protection and Retribution Paladins to get kings. Unless you're blowing one of them, don't expect them to get Kings.
Levantine

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:24 am

It may be a good idea to take an elemental shaman if you're taking only two healers. My reasoning is that often healers and magic DPS will share the same gear, and elemental shamans (at least currently) need very little spell hit. Therefore, the best class to have as a healer when you need it and DPS otherwise, I'd guess, is an elemental shaman. You don't have to build him two gear sets (well, he may anyway, but either set will work just fine) and Shamans are always powerful group healers. He can simply respec and fill the other role. A Ret Paladin will need a completely different gear set, and Boomkins and Spriests (I'd assume) would need more spell hit and other stats to be effective.

That's what I plan to do.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby sherck » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:02 am

Macha wrote:

The good ones will.

The OP has already stated that there will be FOUR Paladins in their 10-man....2 Tankadins and 2 Healadins.

As stated, one of the Tankadins lose less in specing Kings than either of the Healadins. There is NO reason for a Healadin to spec Kings in their typical Holy / Ret "healing" spec if they know for sure at least one other Pally is going to have it.

One Tankadin casts BoSanc on raid, other Tankadin casts Kings. One Healadin casts Imp Wisdom on raid, the other casts Imp Might on everyone.

There is no reason for a Healadin to take it if they know someone else will have it. Sure, they will probably have it in their "combat" spec if they are going Shockadin but not in their healing spec.

Of course, if there is no assurance that another Pally will have it in the raid, then they need to take it. But that is not the case in this situation...

2 Beacons = Beacon on each tank = 2 FoL hitting every 1.275 seconds (one from their "main" healer, one from the other Healadin's Beacon) = a whole $shitton of healing throughput from FoL.

I expect my FoL to be hitting for around 3k per cast at level 80 with entery-level raid gear. If that is so, than the healing throughput for that setup would by around 4700 health PER SECOND from a dual FoL spam. On each tank.

I would reserve the use of Holy Shock for self/raid healing only. The third healer has the rest of the raid which is why one with an AoE/HoT approach would be good.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby mconeone » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:42 am

I'd suggest having one of the prot paladins go ret and having the DK OT/DPS.
mconeone

Postby Ascendant » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:22 am

If you are disregarding divine guardian because you think it will label you as on off tank then either you are really insecure, or your friends aren't as friendly as mine are.

take a look at the talent, and consider when and how it can be useful. maybe it isn't, but at least you will have considered it. don't start worrying about tank envy, it's a fun killer.
Ascendant

Postby Ezikiel » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:53 am

all that matters is that you and your friends have fun, so what if there is 2 pala tanks and 2 pala healers. As previous posters have said, just make sure you guys specc different, and a prot pala should take kings not a holy one. You guys will progress, but maybe not so fast as a "optimal" group, but i rather play with my friends, the classes and speccs they like.

Ezikiel retierd pre 2.3
Ezikiel

Postby Hinenuitepo » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:13 pm

Don't feed the trolls guys. Maji knows he's well past left field.

Anyways, regarding the OP, have fun and good luck! You're determined to play with RL buds AND not even change preferred specs. It might work, but only if all of you genuinely don't care about gear/loot or progression.

Did that once upon a time when BC was young; had a group of mostly RL friends trying to run Kara. Didn't go too well. We all ended up in various and sundry raiding guilds until we pretty much all ended up in one solid (larger) guild and are doing well there now.

It may work for you, and again, GL!

What raid comp do you plan to run 10-man Naxx with? (note, I didn't say what do you think would be the best comp - unless that's one and the same).

I suspect due to the folks in my guild I plan to level with and to make 80 first initially, my group early on will look something like this:

DK tank
Prot warrior (or hunter, depending on which is leveled first)
DK dps
Retadin
Warlock
Resto Shaman
Disc Priest/hybrid
Boomkin
Rogue
Resto Druid

yes, same problem with 4 plate wearers and too much melee, but we'll have several other early levelers interchangeable here, including another hunter, holy priest, Rogue, Retadin, lock, healadin, feral, mage and so on. We'll pretty quickly move to 25-man focus, but it is interesting to think about what we'll be running in 10-mans at the beginning.
Hinenuitepo DK Argent Dawn
Hinenuitepo

Postby Shyss » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:41 pm

k, so i've confirmed with my buddies that the rogue isn't gonna be there, instead he's playing a warlock. And the shaman is going resto.

6 plate won't be too bad i dont think, seeing as most bosses are gonna drop a good amount of loot. And as long as we share there shouldn't be that much of a problem.

And most of us have been raiding since pre-tbc. all of us have been playing since pre-tbc. I've gone though original naxx before as a healer. We know how to raid pretty well so i don't think we'll have too much time adjusting.

As for people going to alts. The reason they're all playing what they are playing is to get away from their mains. Our friend the rogue rolled a lock, our hunter rolled a DK, and our other hunter rolled a shammy. They hate their old classes cause they've been playing them for so long.
Shyss

Postby knaughty » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:06 pm

Macha wrote:

The good ones will.

The good ones won't. Especially not with two prot paladins in-raid.

At 70, kings = holy & prot.
At 80, kings = ret & prot.

-------------

@OP - as a couple of other people have posted, you'd be a lot better off if at least one paladin switches to ret, and the DK goes frost or unholy tanking spec (which still does a TON of DPS).
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Splug » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:40 am

Knaughty wrote:
Macha wrote:

The good ones will.

The good ones won't. Especially not with two prot paladins in-raid.
The good ones will react to the guild and situation they're in and take it when appropriate. If two prot paladins are available, the situation is not appropriate.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to WotLK