Changing perspective on tanking

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Equillian » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:38 am

dmok wrote:On another note, I know people have been bragging over and over about how they were the OT and pulled aggro off the MT and were all proud and whatnot.

This. SO SO SOOOOO This.
I always have a minute, sometimes its taken by someone, but there's always the next.
Equillian

Postby Playdoh » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:39 am

I agree with dmok, but some weird threat things are happening at the moment.

It was our 1st time at RoS, we read the strats, OK tanks vie for red box on RoS p1, got it no big deal.

RoS p2 warrior tank so can spell reflect deaden, fel puppy out so can eat rune shield (the group didn't have a rogue or a mage). Problem was, I hadn't judged ANYTHING, and waited for quite a bit. I had SoV up and I hit it 1X with HoR and she immediately came to me, I guess i could have HoSalv or HoP'd myself but 1 HoR after waiting for threat generation should not pull aggro. We went with it. When I was dazed the warrior tank had aggro, so she actually went back and forth between us, but that phase lasted longer because I don't understand paladin threat atm.

3rd phase was no problem.

I could keep my threat up, and be 2nd threat on omen, but I gimped my gear somewhat to replace the stam trinkets to sd trinkets, and so forth. It took everything I had and I was oom before I could blink, now it's on the other scale on some fights, where I hit one special and the target is mine.

I am not BRAGGING but I am trying to grasp what fights and when I am getting ridiculous aggro. If I understand the mechanics I will know when to use them.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby Sinnegorth » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:43 am

Here's how I see it:

I am the GL of a casual guild and all through BC I was the MT, until we got into T5+ content and then we started using a tank pool. As a constant evaluator of our tanking corp, here's what I look at:

1. Your ability to gain and keep threat. It's still the #1 issue.
2. Your ability to perform your role without griping. You don't always have to be the MT. Your skills may be needed in a specific role - that included me as I found myself often as a trash mob tank because of how much threat I could generate from multiple targets.
3. Understand not only your own class, but also how other tank classes work and also have a pretty good grip on what other classes can do.
4. Show true LEADERSHIP. This is NOT something you can learn from the game. You need to come up with a good plan for your tanking/fight strat or at the very least understand exactly the plan the raid leader has for the fight.
5. Your willingness to tank: Players need gear. Sometimes that means taking a less glamorous tanking job in order help your guildies out. I hate it when I can only get tanks to do a job if it's in a raid setting and they have an aversion to hit stuff from which they are somewhat over-geared.
6. In addition to knowing your class, knowing the exact gear you are after for your class. Tanks need GOOD GEAR.
Sinnegorth

Previous

Return to WotLK