Remove Advertisements

My Wotlk 10 man team

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

My Wotlk 10 man team

Postby Shyss » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:45 am

So my friends and i who all i go the same school are starting up at 10 man raiding group for wotlk. Here is our composition:
Prot Pally
Prot Pally
Holy Pally
Holy Pally
Shadowpriest
Dps Shammy
DPS Deathknight
Rogue?
and some other dps i think.

Anyways, when i was speccing, i decided not to get BoK cause one of the holy pallies said he'd get it. And i'm not taking imp devo because the other tank is gonna get it. So what should i spec at 80? We're not doing the whole OT MT thing cause we're both gonna switch off MT and OT. What's a core tanking spec for wotlk that i can use?
Shyss

Postby majiben » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:47 am

Your holy paladins will not be picking up BoK at 80. Also you team could use some more divesity.

I suggest one of your prot paladins spec This way and the other one spec This way.

Also have your holy paladins spec something like This
Last edited by majiben on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Zironic » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:48 am

Would it be rude to say "Read the sticky?"
Zironic

Postby Jasari » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:54 am

I realize you asked for spec advice, but since there are zillions of threads and discussions on that and you could easily find them by searching, I'll give you some advice on raid comp.

In WotLk, blizzard made a big attempt to make comp requirements not nearly as strict as they were in BC, but you're still going to want a few things. Running with 2 healers is probably fine, but you're going to want at least one of them to be an AOE healers. Holly pallys are better than they used to be, but it'll still be harder than it needs to be without a priest or shaman. Your friends may not like the idea, but I'd have one of the holy pallies go ret and have the shadow priest go holy. Four paladins in a raid is obviously not ideal, but it'll certainly work. I'd make one of the prot pallies pick up kings though as a holy pally has to gimp themselves a lot more to get it than you do. Or, if you do end up getting a ret pally make him pick up kings since he has to give up virtually nothing for it.
Jasari

Postby sherck » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:22 am

Hmmm....5 out of 10 raid members wear plate....plate drops are going to be well fought over for gearing up...

3 of your DPS are melee...while this synergizes well with the Holy Light Glyph, it will still mean massive trouble in fights were the mobs/boss have a damaging aura or nuke a group of players.

Shadowpriest is happy, he gets all cloth drops.

Rogue is happy, he gets all leather drops that are not Spell Power.

Shaman is happy, he gets all SP leather and probably most of his choice of mail drops unless it is a purely SP piece (unless he is Elemental and then he has to fight with one of the Healadins).

No AoE healing except for Glyphed HL ? Could spell trouble...

Ummm...who is your replunishment toon? The Shadow Priest? I don't remember.

I agree with the above. A Holy gimps himself at level 80 to get Kings...misses out on 3% crit at the least.

Anyway, to me, this needs some more thought. 4 Paladins is a waste in a 10-man. Sure, you get all three auras plus a resist aura (which is useless if you have a Shaman along to drop a totem), and all four blessings, but it appears you are losing out on some other things.

I agree with above, if this is going to be your group, I would ask one of the Healadins to go Ret, the Priest to go Holy, make sure the DK is pure DPS for raiding, ask the Shaman to go Elemental to get him out of the melee group, and in addition to the rogue, try to find a mage, Lock, or Balance Druid for CC.

I think the gear issues is the largest. Your cloth, leather and mail wearers will be fully epic outfitted before your poor Retadin or DK get much since you need to gear up the tanks first. I would try to even out the armor types a bit if you could. 2 cloth, 2 leather, 2 mail and 4 plate (1 of which is SP plate) is a much better distribution for drops.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Chers,
sherck

Postby Wakeman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:35 am

4 paladins in 10 people maybe too many..... even we all love paladins. @@
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
Wakeman

Postby Shyss » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:52 am

Well you've gotta understand, these are my friends. I can't just ask somebody to switch spec or drop somebody for another class. This is what we've gotta have. Maybe one of the holy pallies will go ret, but getting a shadowpriest to go holy is a lot more of a challenge. What if the shammy went resto?

Gear is gonna be a big problem, i understand. But again, these are my friends irl. We'll share the loot and we're not gonna complain about it because we all have to see eachother at school the next morning. It's gonna be slow to gear up, but if we're doing Naxx every week and doing well, then we should progress pretty well.

I understand about getting BoK so my holy paladins don't have to. I'll talk to the other tank about making a good combo spec. However, i don't like the points in Divine Guardian. That's a definate off-tank skill and we're trying to look at this as both tanks being equal. So anybody getting that skill is gonna be considered off-tank, because he's gonna be better at it. That's not what we want.

We may be getting a druid. If we do, he'll probably Aoe heal for us. What i know we have is 4 paladins, 1 DK, 1 shammy, 1 shadowpriest, and 1 fury warrior. (the warrior will not go prot, we've asked. He's staying fury.)
Shyss

Postby Equitas » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:17 am

this is a pretty bad 10 man setup.. =/

1Prot pally
1 Deathknight OT/DPS

1 Resto Druid
1 Resto Schaman

1 Ret Pally
1 Shadowpriest
1 Mage
1 Warlock
1 Rogue
1 Hunter

Will be my setup.
I am filled with Rage.... and cupcakes!!!
Of the Nightfall - Check
Twilight Vanquisher - Check
the Undying - Check
the Immortal - Missing
Equitas

Postby Jasari » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:23 am

Shyss wrote:Well you've gotta understand, these are my friends. I can't just ask somebody to switch spec or drop somebody for another class. This is what we've gotta have. Maybe one of the holy pallies will go ret, but getting a shadowpriest to go holy is a lot more of a challenge. What if the shammy went resto?

Gear is gonna be a big problem, i understand. But again, these are my friends irl. We'll share the loot and we're not gonna complain about it because we all have to see eachother at school the next morning. It's gonna be slow to gear up, but if we're doing Naxx every week and doing well, then we should progress pretty well.

I understand about getting BoK so my holy paladins don't have to. I'll talk to the other tank about making a good combo spec. However, i don't like the points in Divine Guardian. That's a definate off-tank skill and we're trying to look at this as both tanks being equal. So anybody getting that skill is gonna be considered off-tank, because he's gonna be better at it. That's not what we want.

We may be getting a druid. If we do, he'll probably Aoe heal for us. What i know we have is 4 paladins, 1 DK, 1 shammy, 1 shadowpriest, and 1 fury warrior. (the warrior will not go prot, we've asked. He's staying fury.)

Well I do think it's cool that you have a group of friends to raid with. Obviously, having fun while you're playing this game is far more important than ideal raid comp or progression. Keeping that set up, I'd definitely have one of the prot pallys pick up kings, a 5/60/6 spec would let you easily pick it up and get enough threat talents. It looks like you have 2 spots open assuming you take the rogue with a "?". I'd grab either a mage and a lock or a mage and another healer. Three healers is generally a good balance if you're not geared yet. So either get the shaman or someone to spec healing or pick up a healer for one of the last spots.
Jasari

Postby Sarkan-ZdC » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:26 am

I take:

2 Tanks
2 Healers
6 DPS

Who ever is online and what ever they will play. Of course some melee strong or caster strong setup would be nice. But we will have 2 x 10 Raids so one will be rather take casters with support (moonkin, spriest, ele shaman + 3 casters or so) and one will be rather the melee raid with hunters, ret paladin, dps warrior, dk, rogoue and so one)

But most important: 10 good players.
Sarkan-ZdC

Postby sherck » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:50 am

Shyss wrote: Well you've gotta understand, these are my friends. I can't just ask somebody to switch spec or drop somebody for another class. This is what we've gotta have. Maybe one of the holy pallies will go ret, but getting a shadowpriest to go holy is a lot more of a challenge. What if the shammy went resto?

If the Priest is committed to Shadow, then I would try to find either a Holy Priest or a Restro Drood as one of your last 2 spots. If you are not experienced raiders, than having three healers to start out raiding would be good. Once you get things down, then having one of them switch to a DPS spec would work well.

Where did the Fury Warrior come from? Not on your original list. You now have six plate wearers....ugh....

In this setup, I would probably keep both Holy Paladins so as to not add a 5th player needing Strength based plate. 6 need plate but 2 can grab the SP plate and that leaves only 4 rolling on Strenght Plate.

If at all possible, have the Shaman go Elemental to get him out of the melee group. You will already have 40% the party needing to be in melee (2 tanks, 1 warrior, 1 DK). Although this limits the drops of SP mail for the Healadins a bit, I think it will end up helping in the end.

Add a leather wearer DPS as your last spot. At least then, you do not have a whole class of armor drops going by the wayside. Leather SP drops are not ideal fro an elemental shaman because they use item points on Spirit which is somewhat useless for Shamans and Healadins.

So, given your constrats, I would go:

2 Tankadins
2 Healadins
1 DK (DPS spec)
1 Fury Warrior
1 Shadow Priest
1 Elemental Shaman
1 Restro Druid or Holy Priest
1 DPS that wears either leather or cloth

Ugh....I can see massive issues with that setup....but you have what you have.

Good luck.
sherck

Postby Obrimos » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:10 am

sherck wrote:Add a leather wearer DPS as your last spot. At least then, you do not have a whole class of armor drops going by the wayside. Leather SP drops are not ideal fro an elemental shaman because they use item points on Spirit which is somewhat useless for Shamans and Healadins.

It's not as bad as it used to be. Spirit's practically better MP5 now than MP5.
Obrimos

Postby Wakeman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:39 am

Shyss wrote:Well you've gotta understand, these are my friends. I can't just ask somebody to switch spec or drop somebody for another class. This is what we've gotta have. Maybe one of the holy pallies will go ret, but getting a shadowpriest to go holy is a lot more of a challenge. What if the shammy went resto?

Ok, I understand your difficulty. Nevertheless, you can reflect this possible problem to them. Chance is that some of them may have alts and is very happy to try new things. Explain that with this set up, not only raid synergy is suboptimal but the loot issue may become a problem. It will not be a very pleasure experience for you and your friends if half of the people /roll every time a plate drop.....

[edit] oh yes, have anyone mentioned that two tankadins work terribly together?
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
Wakeman

Postby Levantine » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:44 am

Obrimos wrote:
sherck wrote:Add a leather wearer DPS as your last spot. At least then, you do not have a whole class of armor drops going by the wayside. Leather SP drops are not ideal fro an elemental shaman because they use item points on Spirit which is somewhat useless for Shamans and Healadins.

It's not as bad as it used to be. Spirit's practically better MP5 now than MP5.

Yeano. Spirit is still 100% useless for Resto Shaman and Holy Paladins.
Levantine

Postby Macha » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:44 am

Majiben wrote:Your holy paladins will not be picking up BoK at 80.

The good ones will.
Macha

Next

Return to WotLK