Magtheridon!

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Magtheridon!

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:58 am

So he hits pretty hard. Seeing something like:
[Magtheridon] Cleave [You] 11284 (328 blocked)
is kind of demoralizing.

The current problem my group is having is having enough healers on me when he becomes pullable and on earthquakes can't always get their heals to top me off in time to prevent Cleave+AA insta pwn. I have enough health buffed to handle it I think... I was running with 17.2k HP after all buffs including a Flask, but not including Commanding Shout. I noticed once I got my warriors, who were on interrupt duty, onto Mag it made it much easier to heal me (of course) but it takes them time to be able to do that since they are interrupting the adds.

Also I was chugging Ironshields.

Any suggestions?
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Joanadark » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:33 am

At least three adds should be down when Magtheridon becomes active, leaving only 2 remaining, otherwise your healing will be stretched far too thin.

This transition is the hardest part of the encounter.

Kill the first adds quicker. Pop all heroisms, cooldowns, and have the tank of the next add moving towards the group with the next target while the current dps target is in it's last 20-30%.

With only two adds still up, at least one warrior should be free to run over to Mag's backside quickly, drop a TC and Demo shout, and then race back to dpsing.

The remaining two add tanks should pop shield wall/last stand in these later stages. (if you have any warrior tanks at all it is best to put them on the final adds to be killed for this reason)

Make sure infernals are being tightly controlled by the warlocks so they aren't sucking up healing.

As DPS is finishing off the second to last add (this is when healing is at it's tightest), you should use a Nightmare Seed (2k health for 30 seconds, shares healthstone cooldown) and any trinkets you may have.
Chug Ironshields at all times.

Depending on how your healing core is distributed, break things down so that your powerful single-target healers such as Paladins and Shamans are mostly on the two add-tanks, with the majority of the ToL druids and Priests overloading you with HoTs.
This doesn't mean a straight all-and-all division, but the rather the focus.

Say your raid has a healing core of:
-2 Druids
-1 Priest
-3 Paladins
-2 Shamans

An example of an ideal set-up at this stage of the encounter would be (with "Add-Tank Two" being the tank on the final add to be killed):

Main Tank: Druid, Druid, Paladin

Add-Tank One: Paladin, Shaman

Add-Tank Two: Paladin, Shaman, Priest
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:01 am

thanks for the advice Joana
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Worldie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:18 am

The best thing would be having druids and shamans on you saving the NS/Swiftmend cooldown for the Earthquake.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Ignus » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:28 am

I'll post this question here as well. For offtanking the first add, what's the best procedure?

Should I pop AW wings right before the pull or right as I lay down consecrate? do I just want to frontload a ton of threat or should I use the first couple seconds of the fight to set myself up for higher tps? (such as judging crusader which I am doing now)

other question, should I try to tank him in more healing gear because he hits like a pansy, or do I need to remain uncrushable? Or is there something else I can do that's useful after he goes down other than heal?
If you invest all of your talents, all of your gear, all of your knowledge and skill into tanking, you should be the best tank.
Ignus
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:28 am

Just go with frontload aggro as much as you can. I tank the 4th add actually, when the RL starts the countdown for the pull i pop AV and JoR, then consecrate etc.
I guess for the first add i'd do the same thing. You should wear spelldamage gear since u will need to build aggro fast.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Teah » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:50 am

For the first add I would max out on spell damage gear. The idea is that add needs to be burned down in about 10-15 seconds. Ask for a MD if it is possible this should allow you to set up crusader then pop AW and go nuts safely.

I'm usually on a later add because we just put a DPS warrior with sword and board on the first. (This puts our MT on the second.) Even on later adds I go nuts in the beginning to put a threat lead. This allows me to switch to SoL/JoL to aid my healers a little.
Teah

Postby Questioner » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:13 am

The adds can crush, so I wouldn't put on healing gear, but I if you are tanking the first add, I would go with full plate spell damage tank gear. You'll take some small crushes if you are crushable, but the add should be dead very fast, and youll be better at healing later in the fight. Swap to healing shield/weapon after your add dies, and be on cube duty.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Re: Magtheridon!

Postby Questioner » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:18 am

Sabindeus wrote:I noticed once I got my warriors, who were on interrupt duty, onto Mag it made it much easier to heal me

We've never explicitly had warriors doing this (just if they were already tanking the add). Always 2 rogues, 2 mages. TC/Demo + Commanding Shout makes a huge difference.

But yeah, the transition is the hardest part. Make sure the healers on you know to overheal you until the adds are down. This is not a fight you can reactively heal.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations