So, is prot viable for solo compared to ret now?..

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

So, is prot viable for solo compared to ret now?..

Postby halabar » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:16 pm

With all the nerfs incoming for ret, I expect ret to be back at 2.4.3 levels soon. So, given that, is going back to prot viable to level compared to the lolagainret of patch 3.03?..

Trying to gather updated prot gear, but it's hard when no one is running anything anymore...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Andryana » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:25 pm

Ret is still quite good and it will always be faster with less downtime for questing and regular leveling, even with the recent nerfs.

Protection is a lot more viable to level than it was on TBC, HoTR does some nice little damage, blessing of sanctuary and divine plea on level 71 will mean less downtime this time around.

It's a matter of choice i guess.. i've always been prot and will stick with it, right now with a mix of tanking/ret gear i actually enjoy doing my dailys and there isn't really much downtime, on WoTLK i will use a mix of both and i'm sure it's not gonna be as painful as it was when i first stepped into outland :)

TL:DR: Ret is still better but prot isnt bad.
Andryana

Postby Vanifae » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:33 pm

Prot is amazing for soloing.

Really go solo stuff it's freaking amazing.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby halabar » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:07 pm

Well, got 4 pieces of tank gear in Kara Friday (including the pocketwatch), and got the horseman's sword today... so with a belt of guardian and tankatronics, I'm getting close to a decent tank set. Thinking of going for the 75-badge chest, and I should be able to turn prot.

(It's getting hard to get into groups.. still a big need for tanks, so...)

So, just how good is the horseman's sword for starting tanking at 70?.. the other options have not dropped yet... I really don't want to grind the honor for the MGlad slicer if I don't have to...

halabar

Re: So, is prot viable for solo compared to ret now?..

Postby Warcraft » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:37 pm

halabar wrote:With all the nerfs incoming for ret, I expect ret to be back at 2.4.3 levels soon.

Really? How do you imagine that? The only problem with Retribution soloing was going out of mana and that is now borderline impossible. The damage they do could be cut in half and they would still do more than you.
Warcraft

Re: So, is prot viable for solo compared to ret now?..

Postby Sabindeus » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:41 pm

Warcraft wrote:
halabar wrote:With all the nerfs incoming for ret, I expect ret to be back at 2.4.3 levels soon.

Really? How do you imagine that? The only problem with Retribution soloing was going out of mana and that is now borderline impossible. The damage they do could be cut in half and they would still do more than you.

This is pretty much exactly correct.

Prot is nice for soloing! You can use DPS gear + sword and board and things are not so painful with BoS providing mana back from Holy Shield and such.

Ret is still 50 bajillion times better.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Khayne » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:04 pm

Prot is Good.

But Ret is Zomg Awesome.

No, i dont think i´ll strangely start dying and ooming when divine storm is affected by armor and our +crit damage bonus on certain skills gets replaced by DoT (that doesn´t break CC, but should produce about same damage as the crit damage bonus.)

Only way that i feel i´d become poor soloer now is if they either decide for alot more nerfs, they turn all mobs into instant-cast casters that hit so hard that everyone else will hate them too, or make mobs start kiting me like real good mage.

I love tanking enough that i´ve grinded badge gear into every single slot that it´s possible to gain tanking gear into, but right now i´m considering ditching all that in lich king and get back into damage dealing (used to be warlock, now i´d be ret paladin).

A real Hybrid damage dealer, guy that smacks single targets, does reasonable aoe, spot heals abit while doing his dps allready, can off-tank lighter hitter mobs, maybe saves some dumb dps´s ass with hand of salvation or protection, avoids raid damage by sitting in his bubble abit.

Much more involving sounding than my lock when it was "I aint stupid, i dont stand in fire. I know what DoT to prio over other=>smack those damage buttons in order and fill blanks with bolts." or "dont stand in fire, spam bolts, repeat." and "oh, this fight i cast banish once in a while, allways on set timer".

Choices, choices...
Khayne

Postby halabar » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:10 pm

so how is the horseman's blade?... :D

halabar

Postby majiben » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:16 pm

halabar wrote:so how is the horseman's blade?... :D
It's meh. It'll work if it's your first lvl 70 weapon but it has low stamina, only a little bit of agility for avoidance, and fairly low dps. It really is a blue quality item that's purple to get people excited.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Zalaria » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:27 pm

Majiben wrote:
It's meh. It'll work if it's your first lvl 70 weapon but it has low stamina, only a little bit of agility for avoidance, and fairly low dps. It really is a blue quality item that's purple to get people excited.

Horseman's Blade

a "real" epic

Just because epics are from lower tiers doesn't mean they're not good.
Maybe it's not the best for us, but then again it wasn't designed for us!
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:10 pm

Zalaria wrote:
Majiben wrote:

Horseman's Blade

a "real" epic

Just because epics are from lower tiers doesn't mean they're not good.
Maybe it's not the best for us, but then again it wasn't designed for us!

Well, according to the spreadsheet, it's better than the S1 maces that I have, and in the mass of weapons that are a bit below the MGlad Slicer. I really don't want to grind out 27,000 honor again... and I'm not exactly getting into Hyjal pugs atm for that gear... so...

halabar

Postby Zalaria » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:50 pm

halabar wrote:Well, according to the spreadsheet, it's better than the S1 maces that I have, and in the mass of weapons that are a bit below the MGlad Slicer. I really don't want to grind out 27,000 honor again... and I'm not exactly getting into Hyjal pugs atm for that gear... so...

Go for it, by all means! My comment was directed toward people who forget that not all tankadins have Sunwell gear available.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby moduspwnens » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:47 pm

I'm not sure anything is viable to anything compared to Ret, currently.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Vanifae » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:49 pm

moduspwnens wrote:I'm not sure anything is viable to anything compared to Ret, currently.

Well this is very true, it is definitely the Pretty Boy spec of the moment.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Faeth » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:23 pm

I haven't much experience as retri. I specced it a couple of times on guild demand to assist on mana regen for dps (keeping the judgements up of myself and the other 2 paladins). My gear is BT level, which ain't too bad.

But in WOTLK i'll go with Prot. It's way more my playstyle and looking at solo grinding the mobs go down pretty fast and i have no downtime whatsoever.

I'll have to see howmuch the JoL fix will affect this, but as it is i love Prot even more and have no reason to spec anything else.
Faeth

Next

Return to WotLK