Tidewalkers Murlocs

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:47 pm

Dragonzbane wrote:Well, we tried again last night and still had trouble for some unkown reason.

We were short on attempts as we also had to kill Lurker and all the trash, I think we had 4 but never got him below 60%.

We still position everyone at Tidewalkers feet.
We only had one Warlock for the fight.
We had the Lock in the MT group with a Tree, Fel Armor and Amp Magic up. Later we put BoL on him instead of BoW.
The lock does not Lifetap.
I was in threat gear and using my Healing MH and shield which had me around 500 Healing buffed.
We have all the Paladins with RF up and no salv.

When I didn't get agro it went to:
- Another Paladin (we had him take off RF after 2 attempts)
- A druid whose Lifebloom went off just as the Murlocks spawned
- The MT who dropped a TC right as the north Murlocks were passing.
- The MT again twice for no apparent reason.

My process in order when the Earthquake hits:
1) Heal Lock
2) Heal Me
3) Heal some random person

Obviously, whenever agro didn't hit me from the start we lost time while rounding up Murlocks and eventually wiped as one Murlock phase ran into the next.

How would the MT be pulling agro, aside from the poorly timed TC?

If we cannot get this solved tonight I'm going to suggest the "off to the side" strat but with what happened last night I'm worried about my agro.

Lifebloom, prayer of mending, or an earthshield proc are self heals that can cause murlock threat on the MT, though it shouldn't be much. I was MT the other day, and I had earthshield cause the murlocks to run to me. They were very quickly snatched up though.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Tiandelin » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:00 am

Dragonzbane wrote:The lock does not Lifetap.

There's one of your problems. You need to land about two holy lights on him to get aggro on the murlocs. Follow it up with a flash or two if you're still nervous about aggro.

Dragonzbane wrote:We have all the Paladins with RF up and no salv.

None of the healers should be getting aggro from you anyway. In fact, nobody should be healing the raid (just the MT) until you have the murlocs. Earthquake is the only damage that most of the raid should be taking, and there's plenty of time between them.

Dragonzbane wrote:My process in order when the Earthquake hits:
1) Heal Lock
2) Heal Me
3) Heal some random person

Having the warlock tap for you makes picking up the murlocs infinitely easier. If you're healing other people, you're wasting a significant amount of extra threat you could generate from the buffs on the lock.

Dragonzbane wrote:How would the MT be pulling agro, aside from the poorly timed TC?

As Fridmarr above me noted, prayer of mending and earth shield can cause strange murloc aggro on this fight. Make sure that nobody hits the MT with them. Lifebloom should be okay though.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby YoYoMa » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:22 am

Ok.. I think we've altered every aspect of this fight to find what works best for us. Everything from who was tanking, to positioning, to how to pickup murlocs. We finally landed on a winning strat, most of which has already been mentioned here but here it is in case it helps somebody else.

First off we found that a warrior makes the worst tank for this fight. The spike damage was just too much given that you had healers periodically graved. We used me at one point which was awesome but then nobody to pick up adds. So we landed on the feral druid. Definitly the way to go unless maybe you had 2 prot pallies.

Then as far as positioning we originally were tanking right on top of the ramp which was somewhat of an equal point between the two murloc packs. That was letting me pick them up at about the same time. I would do some light healing, concecrate and pick them up. But one poorly timed grave and the whole thing fell apart. We even had warriors set to challenging shout for when i was graved but since that happened more than twice we were out of those as well. There were also a few times that the druid would pick up an add or two on their way by, obviously not good to have the boss and adds on the MT.

So we went back to what everybody is saying with standing out of grave range. I still wanted to pick a point that got the murlocs to me at about the same time but also let me be far enough away from the MT. So we put the whole raid up on the upper level, perpendicular to the two entrances of the room. The MT on the far left side of the room, and me on the far right with 1 warlock and 1 healer. This had the added bonus of not having the murlocs run through the MT or anybody in the raid.

The warlock would just stay life tapped when we had no adds. As soon as the earthquake came I would start max rank healing. Usually I would get 2 off and the lock would life tap once more to allow me to get a third. The murlocs always came straight for me, concecrate with 2 or so ticks, aoe would turn around from the boss and help on murlocs. Rinse repeat.

A few notes about the setup for me and the lock. Lock had fel armor on. I didn't, however, put BoL up on them. But I would hit them with 3 full heals for aggro. I was running in full spell damage set at about 600 spell damage with RF, BoSanc but devo aura. Anyway, worked like a charm.

Thanks for all the feedback.
YoYoMa

Postby Dragonzbane » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:41 am

Gratz YoYo.

Tiandelin wrote:Having the warlock tap for you makes picking up the murlocs infinitely easier. If you're healing other people, you're wasting a significant amount of extra threat you could generate from the buffs on the lock.

We made some more changes last night.

We gave everyone but myself and the MT salv and had the other Paladins not use RF. I put on a couple more pieces of healing gear.

We also had one lock fully buffed and Lifetapping.
We later added a second lock lifetapping because the first lock got graved once or twice.

Most of the time I had agro after the first heal last night but I always tossed two anyhow. There was one or two occasions where 3 were necessery.

Tiandelin wrote:As Fridmarr above me noted, prayer of mending and earth shield can cause strange murloc aggro on this fight. Make sure that nobody hits the MT with them. Lifebloom should be okay though.

The MT got agro again on our first attempt last night, though I was able to pull the Murlock off of him with relative ease..

As it turned out people were using Prayer of Mending and Earth Shield on the MT. Once we stopped with the Mending and switch the Earth Shield to me instead that problem was solved.

Long story short after ~5 attempt we took him down, that's for all the help guys.

Sadly, he dropped the Mail belt but there were no Enchance Shamen in the raid and the Plate boots but our DPS Warrior had just bought the Veteran's Boots and didn't want to sacrifice the stamina and resilience for the extra DPS so both items got sharded.
Dragonzbane

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:53 am

Dragonzbane wrote:Sadly, he dropped the Mail belt but there were no Enchance Shamen in the raid and the Plate boots but our DPS Warrior had just bought the Veteran's Boots and didn't want to sacrifice the stamina and resilience for the extra DPS so both items got sharded.

Congratulations. Also, I find it a bit lame that a first kill on a progression boss yielded only Void Crystals.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby YoYoMa » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:23 am

Yeah grats dragon. I agree, they need to add something in the code that first time kills always yield usable loot :)
YoYoMa

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:49 pm

YoYoMa wrote:Yeah grats dragon. I agree, they need to add something in the code that first time kills always yield usable loot :)

Well, 2.2 will at least increase your odds of something usuable dropping.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby PsiVen » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:26 pm

You had a warrior DPSing on the boss that didn't want to take a DPS upgrade because he wouldn't use it in PvP?

Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby corc » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:23 pm

Fridmarr wrote:Well, 2.2 will at least increase your odds of something usuable dropping.

I missed something somewhere I'm thinking...

NVM found it, will drop at least 3 items.
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
corc

Postby Dragonzbane » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:00 am

PsiVen wrote:You had a warrior DPSing on the boss that didn't want to take a DPS upgrade because he wouldn't use it in PvP?

/shrug
I don't know.

He just didn't think it was enough of an upgrade over the PvP boots to spend the points on I guess. That and the fact that he just bought the PvP boots I think he was feeling a little bitter.

He doesn't really even PvP that much as far as I know.
Dragonzbane

Postby Dragonzbane » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:01 am

corc wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:Well, 2.2 will at least increase your odds of something usuable dropping.

I missed something somewhere I'm thinking...

NVM found it, will drop at least 3 items.

So...I'll start looking forward to that once Novembers hits and they are finally correcting the last bugs in the Voicechat coding.

:-/
Dragonzbane

Postby IceRaven » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:19 pm

Tiandelin wrote:
IceRaven wrote:I tried doing this strat with tanking all murlocs with healing agro outside of grave range. It worked pretty good, but im wondering 3 things:

1) When do I start healing the warlock? Just when I see ppl get earthquake or?

I stand around with a vacant stare until the earthquake hits, then I toss two holy lights on the warlock.

IceRaven wrote:2) What Rank Holy Light? 11 ?

That's what I use.

IceRaven wrote:3) How much +healing should I have to keep rock solid agro (all healers will have salvation, and are using lesser rank heals at earthquake).

Honestly, I just wear block tanking gear and swap in a healing mace (Sha'tar rep) and shield (Karazhan chess event) when I don't have murlocs beating on me. I also use the +healing on BoL'd targets libram from Opera.

The warlock should have fel armor, amplify magic, and blessing of light on him. Between that and your healing weapon and shield, you should be fine.

Another question(s) if you got the time:

1) I assign 1 healer (usually paladin) to heal the tankadin out of water grave range. Should that healer also be place outside of range, only to heal the tankadin?

2) How many healers should you have on the MT, and how many on the graves?
IceRaven

Postby Tiandelin » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:39 pm

IceRaven wrote:Another question(s) if you got the time:

1) I assign 1 healer (usually paladin) to heal the tankadin out of water grave range. Should that healer also be place outside of range, only to heal the tankadin?

2) How many healers should you have on the MT, and how many on the graves?

Well, it's pretty important that the healer assigned to you doesn't get graved while you have 12 murlocs beating on you, or at least that you have a backup if he does. We have only one healer standing out of grave range to heal both me and grave victims. All the other healers stand up top and keep everyone there from dying.

Just make sure that people aren't running back in at half health from graves to get earthquaked to death. Make them bandage or something if murlocs are up and the grave healer is distracted. Earthquake is the only damage that anyone except the MT and murloc tank should take on this fight using this tactic, so they'll be fine as long as they can survive it.

For everyone who isn't stationed at the bottom of the stairs, this basically reduces the fight to a 22-man tank and spank of Morogrim, interrupted only by graves and the occasional aoe-fest for our mages and warlocks. As an added bonus, if Morogrim tries to grave someone outside of his range, that grave will be left empty instead.
Tiandelin

Postby Demiblade » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:20 am

Guys, is earthquake blockable?

My guild is discussing how shield block charge is used up by earthquake and warrior becomes crushable in next hit.

Personally, I never blocked an earthquake on my pally.
Demiblade

Postby Tiandelin » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:39 am

Demiblade wrote:Guys, is earthquake blockable?

My guild is discussing how shield block charge is used up by earthquake and warrior becomes crushable in next hit.

Personally, I never blocked an earthquake on my pally.

As far as I know (based on what our MT has determined from his logs), Morogrim is able to thrash. This means that he can get in 3-4 attacks within a couple seconds and break through warrior shield block. Warrior becomes crushable, and since he's already been on the receiving end of at least a couple powerful hits, well... that's a huge amount of damage to take very quickly.

Oh, and isn't earthquake a knockdown effect? If so, he's crushable while he's knocked down. We just use a feral druid to tank Morogrim himself these days, since crushings are a given.
Tiandelin

PreviousNext

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern