Tanking Karazhan after 3.0

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Losbullitt » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:06 pm

I dunno about the 2hander pally. The mobs still hit for a considerable amount. But people are 5 manning karazhan (reportedly) so anything is possible!

I took my hunter (as mentioned) and didn't get much but I did win the fastriders cloak (70atp), sunfury bow (w00t!) and a bunch of badges.
Losbullitt

Postby Hierax » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:07 pm

Tanking Kara tonight - I'll be interested to see - if no crushes - just how easy some of the bosses are now...mostly Prince spaghetti

Seems to me that the danger with the hard hitting bosses was the potential for crushes - and if we are now 490+ now eliminating crits ..finding it hard to see the danger -

I'll still be ~~ 104ish avoidance....what exactly gets pushed off tables now that crushes are gone ?
Hierax

Postby Belloc » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:13 pm

Hierax wrote:Tanking Kara tonight - I'll be interested to see - if no crushes - just how easy some of the bosses are now...mostly Prince spaghetti

Seems to me that the danger with the hard hitting bosses was the potential for crushes - and if we are now 490+ now eliminating crits ..finding it hard to see the danger -

I'll still be ~~ 104ish avoidance....what exactly gets pushed off tables now that crushes are gone ?
Normal hits get pushed off, meaning everything will be a miss, dodge, parry, or block.
Belloc

Postby Losbullitt » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:52 am

Ran kara as maintank (12.2k hp unbuffed).

The pulls were a little wild but eventually got it under control. I had two dpsers (rl friends) who were pushing over 1k dps each fight (including bosses) but held threat with that sort of insane barrage. In fact, unless I was slacking off, even the OT couldn't grab aggro after I started my rotation. w00t!

First thing: YOU CAN STILL WIPE IN KARAZHAN! I think it is important to remind people that even though it is nerfed, there are some hazardous elements that will demoralize your raid group. Trash and miscalcs on bosses will wipe you out.

Bosses -
Attumen was a joke. Burned him down in less than 4 minutes.
Moroes - it is to the point where you don't have to shackle priest. I had Moroes and two smaller bosses on me and with heals, didn't come close to dying.
Maiden is like "woah easy". The holy lightning still hurts and repentance is a bitch.
Opera Event - I've only ran the Big Bad Wolf one but it is an easy burn.
Curator - Mispull as someone was too close to him. But downed him before he went into evocation.
Shade - not even close to wiping.
Illhoof - As mentioned before, the fight ended before it began.
Chess - wiped once because people were confused. Figured it out and won big time.
Prince - Got a little hairy with those things dropping on top of healers. In phase 3, the healers circled around him and just started spam heals while we plowed into him like speeding dump trucks.
Nightbane - tough fight, wiped once because people were inexperienced with it. But after they figured out his routine, it was like clockwork. Only the failock died in the 2nd fight.
Netherspite - Yeah no. We wiped twice. We weren't going back to this assclown.

Buffed with elixer, I had 14.4hp. I'll post up my rotation later.
Losbullitt

Postby Pala » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:57 am

I was in Kara last night. I wondered how easy it had become. We cleared it in 3 1/2 hours using one tank, one healer, and seven dps. So we were short one person the whole time. Netherspite killed us because tank #2 (fury warrior) didn't get to the red beam and died. Attumen & Maiden took less than a minute. Others were a couple minutes. Nightbane took 6 probably because of his phases. Go in and get some new gear!
[Palatinus] & [Kury] - Earthen Ring US
Pala
Maintankadonor

Postby Prinia » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:10 am

A few highlights from my run:
1 tank, 1 healer, 8 DPS (4 enh shamans...)
Maiden took ~31 sec as far as i recall, moroes vanished first time at 1%, romeo and juliet got AOE'ed, Nightbane didn't land in betwean he's flights (almost killed in air, but stopped DPS untill he landed :P).
And the best: curator was pulled with 3 trash packs, and died ~20 sec befor first evo...
Ye, kara is fun again.
Prinia

Postby Losbullitt » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Ah screw it.

A ton of Hammah with spamsecrate.
Losbullitt

Postby Thos » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:58 pm

MT'ed Kara last night with 2 shammy healers, a war OT that only tanked the spell immune mobs after Curator, 3 brand new 70's that didnt know what they were doing, and finaly 3 dps that did. Whole run took 2 hours. The longest fight was Chess. I even felt like MT'ing Maiden. Never even came close to losing threat. Easily pushing 1500-2k tps during fights. Ret pallys ws #1 dps, followed by a mage, then me. I was 5% higher in dps for the whole run than #4 dpser. My shammy healer was complaining the whole time that he was just spamming lesser heal on me, because he wanted to try out some of his new abilities.

Rotation:
Seal of Corruption/Vengeance (the one with the Dot) ->
Pull with AS or Exorcism. ->
Consecrate/HS ->
HotR ->
Judge - >
Repeat
AS/Ex/Holy Wrath/Hammer of Wrath (as available)

With overgearing Kara, I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of going OOM. Thank you new BoSanc!!! And thank you new Ret Pally ret aura!! And thank you raid wide buffs!! It was nice having all the shammy totems and dps buffs. Tanking has now become a fun as you can really churn out some serious Dps. I'm still playing around with my UI, macros, etc, but final verdict on Kara is:

ITS FUN!!!
Thos

Postby Losbullitt » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:55 am

I didn't have a mana problem with bosses. BoW ftw!

Checking Omen3 for threat, I remember being surprised that the warrior OT on bosses was consistently 20k or more under me. It helps that Avg. Shield and HAMMAH provide such high threat!

Now if I can only get my pants. :o

I'm still a little ticked that I lost the pants to the warrior OT. :evil:
Losbullitt

Postby Cadarn » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:59 am

I just tanked Kara for the first time yesterday. I went in as OT to the guild leader (druid). I realized I could pull off of him pretty much at will on undead, but our threat seemed pretty even on everything else.

Halfway through, he had to go and I became MT. A warrior stepped in as OT. Probably half of our raid had never even seen Kara before. We still cleared the place in under 3 hours. A ret pally and mage basically tied for top dps. The next 3 people were all within 1% of each other, and I was one of them.

I had about 50 times more fun tanking Kara then I ever had dpsing on my mage. Oh, instant holy wrath is like the coolest damn spell ever. :twisted:
Cadarn

Postby Somrael » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:15 am

For any pallies really just getting into raiding (like me), I've been MTing Kara these past couple of weeks in a mixed set of PvP gear, Stam trinkets and legit tanking plate. Two pieces of Ret PvP plate will give you great bonuses and enough Resilience to close a huge chunk of the uncrit cap (I'm also using the Merciless Gladiator Axe), and Kara is turning into a great way for me to quickly catch up on real tank plate.

So don't be worried about running it in a few welfare epics! Full clear on my first time tanking the instance in just a few hours.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -Plato
Somrael

Postby Enata » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:55 pm

Kara has become such a joke!!!

I just recently finished up my starting gear set, a mix of blues,greens that brings me to 490 defense... Also managed to snag the 15 badge libram halfway through the kara run... Regardless, with 11.2kHP Unbuffed, 13.8kHP with raid buffs(no kings =[), 13.5kArmor with devotion, and about 95% Dodge/Miss/Parry/Block, I main tanked the place last night. Was easy!

Unfortunately, Not a single piece of tank loot dropped... Not even the t4 tokens.... So no epics for me yet =[
Enata

Postby Discus » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:22 am

Did this last night for first time with patch with my very casual guild who’d previously been struggling. As usual half the people who’d signed up to come didn’t bother turning up – so we six manned attumen in 11 mins then got 2 more players and went on to down moroes, maiden, Oz and Curator. All with me as single tank . It’s a walk in the park – free badges.

We managed to get our new green clad warrior three new epic tanking pieces (gloves, wryn legs which I waited 5 months for and never got and belt) in one night. So basically what took us months to sort in terms of gear and progress we did with 6-8 players in a sub-optimal group- much of the time I think only 3-4 of us were actually playing.

But does anyone want to run again? Or run any of the harder raids for the first time? Nope! All we get is the realm wide and utterly wrong whine “but all your epics and badge gear will be replaced by greens at level 71, so there’s no point”. Deeply frustrating when we have just a few weeks to exploit this before the expansion comes out and everyone starts levelling again.
Discus

Postby tbolt » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:04 am

Ran it tonight with the guild.

Attumen was rubbish as usual.
Moroes and his friends got AoEed down pretty quick.
Didn't even feel the silences on maiden using hammer.
Opera was OZ so AoE again.
Nightbane never even got to fear.
Illhoof was another AoE fest.
Shade we actually wiped on once cause people moved during flame wreath lol.
Chess is chess.
Prince requires no where near the attention of the pre-patch fight, to the point that I didn't even have holy shield up half the time in P2.
Netherspite was the longest fight of all the rest 'cause people kept picking up the wrong beam grrrr.

Overall it took about 3 hours with a few breaks in between and even though King's defender didn't drop I picked up my T4 helm and my pally OT pretty much got geared up in one run since most of the drops were tank plate and I didn't need any of them.
tbolt

Postby Losbullitt » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:13 am

Discus wrote:
But does anyone want to run again? Or run any of the harder raids for the first time? Nope! All we get is the realm wide and utterly wrong whine “but all your epics and badge gear will be replaced by greens at level 71, so there’s no point”. Deeply frustrating when we have just a few weeks to exploit this before the expansion comes out and everyone starts levelling again.

Exactly. :x It pisses me off!
Losbullitt

PreviousNext

Return to Karazhan