Thoughts on playstyle changes! Crazy Ivan Tanking?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Thoughts on playstyle changes! Crazy Ivan Tanking?

Postby kurtizzle » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:11 am

Ok guys so heroics have recently become daft easy and alot of raid content aswell. So I have been playing with Seal of Blood(H)/Martyr(A) - SoB/SoM. As a human Paladin its quite new using SoM and I have been playing with how I pull and my general threat rotation.

Now the point being is that SoM is directly affected by our AP and that SoR is better affected by our Spell Power (SP), therefore when we choose to Seal weave should we use SoM or SoR?

I generally OT so I have been using SoM alot and when I would first seal weave I pop Avenging Wrath so that my stack of Vengence is at 20% extra damage for the life of the stack.

For the issue of threat building would it be better to start with SoM as a MainTank for the initial 45% dmg modifier on our judge, then pop wings, reseal Vengence and blast off our Avengers shield whilst already in melee?

I have been trying this out and it seems quite fun and looks a bit more crazy.
Kurtizzle lvl 80 Tankadin T7/7.5/Badgeloot/roic drops
EU-HELLFIRE
kurtizzle

Postby Katamai » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:16 am

SoV.
Threat isn't an issue at all.
I... was... once... called... Ashbringer...
My... son... watched... me... die...
KILL... THEM... ALL!
Katamai

Postby majiben » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:28 am

SoM/B is an excellent off tanking tool but SoV is really the better maintanking seal. I must highly advise against seal twisting because it eats GCDs and mana at an alarming rate.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby kurtizzle » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:44 am

It did seem a little difficult to seal twist, but is it still a threat boost if you can pull it off, or is the change negligable?

Thanks for info.
Last edited by kurtizzle on Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
EU-HELLFIRE
kurtizzle

Postby Zironic » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:47 am

Most of my 3.0 threat issues have been me forgetting to put up the seal again after 2 minutes, it didn't use to be an issue because of the judge/reseal macro but now that seals arn't consumed anymore it's easy to forget about it.
Zironic

Postby gmf1 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:12 am

Lol yea i forget all the time to reseal :( Wtf why cant i judge? Oh yea seal ran out again :)
gmf1
Maintankadonor

Re: Thoughts on playstyle changes! Crazy Ivan Tanking?

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:29 am

kurtizzle wrote:I generally OT so I have been using SoM alot and when I would first seal weave I pop Avenging Wrath so that my stack of Vengence is at 20% extra damage for the life of the stack.

This doesn't work. The stack will return to normal damage when AW wears off.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Re: Reply

Postby Snake-Aes » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:09 am

kurtizzle wrote:It did seem a little difficult to seal twist, but is it still a threat boost if you can pull it off, or is the change negligable?

Thanks for info.
It's not negligible, it's maleficent. You may be easy now at 70 and infinite mana, but once you get to 75, ShoR will eat your gcds and twisting instead of using anything else is a threat loss.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Re: Reply

Postby majiben » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:27 am

Snake-Aes wrote:
kurtizzle wrote:It did seem a little difficult to seal twist, but is it still a threat boost if you can pull it off, or is the change negligable?

Thanks for info.
It's not negligible, it's maleficent. You may be easy now at 70 and infinite mana, but once you get to 75, ShoR will eat your gcds and twisting instead of using anything else is a threat loss.
Basically don't get used to it now because it will be a bad habit in 3 weeks. It's a good idea to train your muscle memory now rather than later.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Seal clarification.

Postby kurtizzle » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:46 am

Well you would say then that the bread and butter of it is;

SoM/B = OT

SoV = Tanking bosses/general content.

Very interesting to clear that up, I suppose I'm just trying to hard. I see spare GCDs and want to use them up.
EU-HELLFIRE
kurtizzle

Re: Thoughts on playstyle changes! Crazy Ivan Tanking?

Postby kurtizzle » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:50 am

KysenMurrin wrote:
kurtizzle wrote:I generally OT so I have been using SoM alot and when I would first seal weave I pop Avenging Wrath so that my stack of Vengence is at 20% extra damage for the life of the stack.

This doesn't work. The stack will return to normal damage when AW wears off.

Doesn't work? I thought that was exactly how it worked, took me a few reads to believe it, but now I'm wrong? Did they change it?

Dam that sucks, when do you guys think it is best to pop wings? I dont like burning seconds by using it for the pull I liek to use it when I'm in melee. I got used to seeing Paladins use this before they cast the pulling Avengers Shield, however we dont cast it the once now.
EU-HELLFIRE
kurtizzle

Postby Worldie » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:56 pm

That was changed a lot of patches before ;)

Pop wings after the mob is in melee range, then on every CD, about that.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Ryyu » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:53 pm

I normaly use blood for heroics atm, Im finding Stuff is not living long enough for SOV/Cor to do anything, On bosses i Switch, but still, Also blood is FAR more fun.
Ryyu

Postby Lightbeard » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:18 pm

I use Matyr for trash because i like the crits
Lightbeard

Postby Truelight » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:22 pm

problem what problem i main tanked kara last night (in T4 + some badge gear) even with T6 Dps in raid i was 40% above anyone at 99% times (a few times the warlocks got cocky and SOCed stuff before i got a concentrate in. and i wasn't even working hard at it..
Truelight

Next

Return to WotLK