Warlock helper?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Warlock helper?

Postby Ilara » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:30 am

My friend, a new 70 warlock, is frustrated at the moment on live as he cannot find a decent spec to look at, finds himself falling desperatly behind what he was doing before the patch and wants help.
The warlock forums are naught but QQ from constant bitching, impossible to navigate at current for decent information to assist us.

I'm not here looking for this to become QQ, but I figured that maybe one amongst you has some experience with the class to draw from?
Guillex wrote:chop chop slap chop slap slap /b/ fap fap.... gogo
Ilara

Postby hoho » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:32 am

I haven't looked into specifics yet but for now affliction got some insane buffs and should be the highest DPS speck for locks.
hoho

Postby Jedah » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:03 am

How to win by playing a warlock:

Step 1 - Bind keys 1 through 9 to Fear
Step 2 - ????
Step 3 - Profit!
Jedah

Postby Consecrator » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:08 am

I was sac destro before the patch, went back to affliction since thats what ill be lvling as. I drop alot of my hit for my pure dmg gear and dropped some crit for haste and GG. Afflition is so much more fun then sac its not even funny. I would tell him to go affliction since it is usually the best lvlign spec and hell need to lvl soon. DMG is better then pre patch BTW.

On the other note, the binding to fear thing is pretty sweet IMHO

edit - this prob shouldnt be in this section though
When I was 8 years old, I watched my mother kill a spider with a tea cozy. Many years later I would find out that it wasnt a spider, it was my uncle harold.
Consecrator

Postby Ilara » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:11 am

maybe. isn't directly releated to pallys, but I am asking about opinions of warlock's status and evolution in wotlk. if lore/worldie see fit tho feel free to move.
Ilara

Postby Consecrator » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:14 am

I wasnt trying to be a jerk by saying that BTW, was just thinking it could be in a differnt area cause of recent complaints i see about wrong posting areas and crap. Sorry if it came off as being a jerk.
When I was 8 years old, I watched my mother kill a spider with a tea cozy. Many years later I would find out that it wasnt a spider, it was my uncle harold.
Consecrator

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:17 am

All three specs are relatively amusing right now.
For affliction, you'll basically keep every dot up, spamming shadow bolt and haunt on cd, with a felguard up attacking.

Affliction's Bare Minimum

I'm not sure how it's going for demo.

Fire Destruction revolves around immolate, incinerate, chaos bolt on cooldown. Curse of Agony to keep Molten Core up(more fire damage), and the imp attacking.
Sample. I have doubts whether it's a good idea or not to rely on conflagrate-backdraft, but it should work. In my case i replaced conflag-draft for improved soul leech, but it doesn't keep the imp's mana up all the time.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Ferrix » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:20 am

Affliction seems to be the best bet for dps right now, although it is a little complicated compared to before. Destro is especially behind their old dps.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warlock ... 0000000000

Thats the spec I've been using, but without my timer addons working, its a pain to keep your Dot uptime up.

Shadowbolt, corruption, haunt, shadowbolt, CoA, UA, siphon life, Shadowbolt, haunt, shadowbolt... and so on.

I try to fit in an instant spell after a cast time spell to max dps, and because corruption takes a second to start doing damage, putting it up before haunt doesn't lower hurt dps. Once you get the initial corruption up, you won't need to cast it again in most boss fights, as long as you cast haunt whenever it is off cd.

Your priorities should be, haunt whenever it is off cd, shadowbolt at least once every 12 seconds to keep Shadows Embrace up, and keep your DoTs up. Shadowbolt in any spare time you have.

So far I don't know of any clean rotations you can use, for the most part right now, its just frantically keeping your dots up
Ferrix

Postby hoho » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:22 am

Snake-Aes wrote:All three specs are relatively amusing right now.
For affliction, you'll basically keep every dot up, spamming shadow bolt and haunt on cd, with a felguard up attacking.
Sounds about right but replace felguard with something else ;)

For the bare minimum I'd add 3/3 eradication
hoho

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:23 am

You just fell on the trap. Casting an instant after a casted spell does nothing to your dps. You are stuck with the gcd regardless and therefore it doesn't matter.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:23 am

hoho wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:All three specs are relatively amusing right now.
Sounds about right but replace felguard with something else ;)

For the bare minimum I'd add 3/3 eradication
Yeah felhunter.

There were very bad doubts on eradication going on the last time I checked it.As in the full 3/3 talent was barely worth 1% haste.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Ilara » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:25 am

he says to ask you, snake "I use imp as a mana battery, whats the reasoning behind the felpuppy?"

>.> nows a good time to mention I know zip about locks tbh...
Last edited by Ilara on Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ilara

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:25 am

Ilara wrote:he says to ask you, snake "I use imp as a mana battery, whats the reasoning behind the felpuppy?"
Felpuppy does more damage, and improved shadow bite = mana every shadow bite, based on the DoTs you have on the victim.

Plus felpuppy = more spirit and more int
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:28 am

He also has a higher mp5 than the Imp if you ABSOLUTELY MUST Dark Pact.
Levantine

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:29 am

Levantine wrote:He also has a higher mp5 than the Imp if you ABSOLUTELY MUST Dark Pact.
Really? I know it's very high, but higher than the imp's? Before Bite?
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to WotLK