TPS too high? -edit- JoL gives a few thousand TPS!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

TPS too high? -edit- JoL gives a few thousand TPS!

Postby knaughty » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:20 pm

@mods: This is kinda "3.0.2" kinda not. Cut me some slack, mebbe? :D

OK, I've been following the TPS calculations people are putting up, and Firiona's "my TPS is kinda bad in Naxx" posts and I'm now seriously confused.

We ran Sunwell last night ('twas a joke - see http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... hp?t=15504 for details). I lost my internet connection from an hour before the raid to 5 mins after scheduled start, so I had no time to set up my UI, and was thus not using the proper 96969 rotation - I was just mashing buttons as they came up. didn;t bother to put anything other that Judgement of Light on my bar, was using SoV, didn't have time to tune my gear at all for the new mechanics.

Anyway, despite all that, I was regularly running at well over 4k TPS, at level 70. Biggest issues of the night were me peeling things off other tanks (Felmyst off the MT, second Twin off the ranged tank). We got past M'uru for the first time, MD'd Doomwalker to the warrior, I gave him a few seconds while I ran in from M'uru's room.. proceeded to peel him.

• My OT TPS > warrior MT TPS.
• My level 70 TPS higher than Firiona's reports of her level 80 TPS.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

WWS busted, so I can't really check.

Only think I could think off was healing-aggro from JoL. EG: At Twins, I was second on aggro on second Twin when we switched, well ahead of all other healers - and I could DPS second Twin or I'd peel.

TPS reports are coming from latest version of Omen, which is using Blizzard's API, so the numbers should be correct and reliable.
Last edited by knaughty on Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Cowadin » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:50 pm

Conclusion: Mashing buttons is better than creating a logical rotation.

-Cow

Seriously tho -- I haven't raided yet, we raid 2nite in bout 3 hours.. I'll check out numbers/comparisons with other tanks then. I def. wasn't getting 4k tps on my pally on beta in the same gear I have now tho, so if I do end up seeing something like that there's def. a bug.

Tankadin. Pew Pew.
Cowadin

Postby melange » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:27 pm

Which mod were you using which reported 4k tps?

My whole guild downloaded the latest omen last night. We did up to brutallus and I was getting around 2k tps on avg with some spikes up to 3k briefly or when I could add hammer of wrath into the rotation.
melange

Postby knaughty » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:29 pm

melange wrote:Which mod were you using which reported 4k tps?

My whole guild downloaded the latest omen last night. We did up to brutallus and I was getting around 2k tps on avg with some spikes up to 3k briefly or when I could add hammer of wrath into the rotation.

Latest Omen. My "brief spikes" were close to or over 5k.

Brute I was 3k-4k TPS.

What judgement are you using? I'm seeing endless green floating combat test spam of 500-ish point heals from JoL.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby melange » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:37 pm

I was using judgement of wisdom. Hmm so your JoL was adding mroe threat due to the heal factor ... I did not try that. Will give it a go tonight and see how I go since mana was not an issue while tanking. It was an issue when I specced ret for Brut but ohhh baby did ret own or what!
melange

Postby fiorina » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:50 pm

So is it "spikes 5k" or 4k or "maybe 3k"?

Check your total threat and divide it by duration of the fight to see.

Right now, on static fight, I am doing up to 2600DPS sustained, but thats with Naxx25 gear.

Anyway is this WotLK discussion?
Last edited by fiorina on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:51 pm

I think what he's saying is that it's between 3k and 4k sustained TPS, with 5k spikes with things like poor avoidance streaks etc.
Levantine

Postby garmca » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:58 pm

I'm having the same "problem." My pally is level 63 now and I tanked blood furnace with a 70 mage in the party. After a few seconds to build aggro, the mage still was never able to pull mobs off of me with his frostbolt, now how can this be? I'm not complaining, but I don't want it to be too easy!! I don't even have my new spell rotation down yet, just pressing whichever cooldown is up at the moment.

Did I miss something in the release notes that said they were going to be changing threat mechanics around?
garmca

Postby knaughty » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:01 pm

Levantine wrote:I think what he's saying is that it's between 3k and 4k sustained TPS, with 5k spikes with things like poor avoidance streaks etc.

Correct.

3-4k sustained, peaked at 5k on Brute with Wings up. Sustained means "it sits up there for the 10 secs I'm watching it, then I get busy again and pay attention to something else". Not "damage x threat mod ÷ time".

It's in WotLK because I'm wondering why I'm doing more TPS at 70 than Fiorina at 80 - is it a bug, JoL, my imagination, something else?

Didn't have recount installed, and WWS is broken, so I don't have really good numbers, numbers are what I managed to spot while tanking.

Maybe it's just peaks jumping out at me - the TPS meter isn't something I keep a really close eye on.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby knaughty » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:10 pm

fiorina wrote:Right now, on static fight, I am doing up to 2600DPS sustained, but thats with Naxx25 gear.

2600 DPS = how much TPS ?
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby Caelia » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:16 pm

Knaughty wrote:
fiorina wrote:Right now, on static fight, I am doing up to 2600DPS sustained, but thats with Naxx25 gear.

2600 DPS * 266% = 6900 TPS.
In Progress: Fury Warrior: Tailwhip
All Retired: Holy Priest:Appletons | DK Blood Tank: Dreadborne | Prot Paladin: Welsh
Caelia

Postby Levantine » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:22 pm

Caelia wrote:
Knaughty wrote:

2600 DPS * 266% = 6900 TPS.

In reality it's a little bit less than that since white damage is a larger part of prot paladin DPS, but doesn't get the Righteous Fury modifier.
Levantine

Postby Kethion » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:23 pm

Knaughty wrote:

2600 * 1.4 * 1.9 = 6916 TPS

EDIT: Dang beat me to it >.> Also Lev brings up a good point. How much of our DPS is white damage now?
Kethion

Postby knaughty » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:58 pm

Kethion wrote:EDIT: Dang beat me to it >.> Also Lev brings up a good point. How much of our DPS is white damage now?

~20% ?

Call it 2000 Holy, 600 white. TPS ~ 6k

OK, simple mistake at my end. I keep seeing people say "2.5k" and think that they mean TPS, where they actually mean DPS

TPS doubles 70-80, seems about right.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:12 pm

I wasn't watching closely but my threat seemed to be around 2.2k TPS in Sunwell tonight (70). Beta at 80 my threat is some ridiculous amount.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Next

Return to General