Remove Advertisements

Al'ar

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Al'ar

Postby Palafix » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:22 pm

So, I was wondering what exactly I should be doing for the Al'ar fight. The first few times we attempted Al'ar I figured that I would try and tank the adds. I found that by Avenger's shielding to pull each add I was running oom very quickly, so instead I tried to just taunt them as they came down, but with the whole of the raid spread out and the healers constantly moving from platform to platform, I have to run into the raid to pick up the adds and run back out to the edge. The only problem is that if the melee dps's the add while I'm trying to pull the adds out of the group, then I'll loose aggro because I'm not consecrating. Even when I do consecrate, I have trouble holding aggro because I run oom too fast while using max rank, and fail to hold aggro at rank 3. Phase 2 becomes a bit easier for me but with dps focusing on different adds at the same time, adds just fly off me from time to time and getting them back isn't always easy, especially when taunt resists. Tanking the adds just seemed like a headache to me.
Should I even be tanking adds in the first place? From what I figured, if I was to tank the adds, I would need to downrank my gear a bit for some more spell damage and hell, maybe some mp5. Anything to hold aggro easily and pick up the adds to bring them into position, but even with 450 spell damage I was having problems. Is that what I should focus on? More threat gear? Would being in a group with a shadow priest help?
Palafix

Postby Rainge » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:52 pm

Working on this fight myself, ATM. I'm usually at position 2 to tank Al'ar during phase 1 - never have trouble with mana there. Phase 2 I'm usually on adds.

I had some of the same issues you mentioned (can't keep the adds off the DPS). I'm thinking our next night in TK, I want to go with one of two strategies.

1) Salv the healers and pump a few heals out on a warlock when adds spawn for initial aggro. Once they're in my rank-4 consecrate, I can hold them if DPS is assisting (usually).

2) Do it assembly-line style. Hunters bring adds to me, I take aggro and hold all of them. Other add tank taunts them off one at a time, takes it aside, and DPS blows it up. The only drawback is that the adds don't really hit hard enough to keep my mana pool up - but it sounds nice and orderly.

/edit: Had him at 33% in P2 the other night. I really want to get him down.
Last edited by Rainge on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rainge

Postby Afraithe » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:54 pm

Kind of depends what kind of tactic your guild is using, are they saving the adds for phase 2? In that case you should be in max mitigation gear, and DPS has to "take it easy", cause at the end you can have anywhere from 5 to 8 adds on you, and you NEED to dodge/parry/block to not take to much damage.

Our guild saves all adds after around 30% of phase one, so we have around 3 of them ready to die at start of phase 2.

All the adds should be DPS down to 15%, then you just hold them.

If DPS are taking aggro THEY are doing wrong, they have plenty of time to dps them down, its not a race in that respect.

In phase 2, you get the adds so you have back against wall, then your ranged dps kills one at a time, you will take 5k fire damage and a pushback each time, they need to wait slightly after each kill, so that healers can heal you up. They all should /assist you to focus damage, not AOE.

Oh, and about picking them up, have a hunter assigned for that.
Afraithe

hey

Postby Mavrix » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:56 pm

Do we need resist gear for the adds?
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness must be the father.

Mavrix

Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Mavrix
Mavrix

Postby Cakes » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:18 pm

No. They only do fire damage when they blow up; all other damage is strictly physical.
Cakes

Postby Demiblade » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:12 am

Is it possible to MT Al'ar itself during phase 1 without any ability to quickly get back (Feral Charge/Intercept) into tanking positions upstairs after jumping down?
Demiblade

Postby Worldie » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:00 am

Yes you can, but you will anyway need someone who will charge up for the platform 1 and 4.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Afraithe » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:26 am

You should be able to tank Al'ar from the 2-3 platform, so you do not need to charge in. Never done this myself, since I'm more usefull on the adds.
Afraithe

Postby Chorus » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:35 am

For phase one Al'ar, we usually have a Feral Druid or DPS warrior pick up and tank the birds. Myself and two Protection Warriors do the platforms. Have you considered switching with one of the rage-based platform tanks for this phase? They'll have an easier time with it overall, and you can provide a JoWisdom when you're tanking Al'ar.

Also, for Phase two, there is no reason to think that you alone are responsible for locking down the birds. A few things my guild does is misdirect to me when it's available, Holy Paladin nearby with RF up and healing to try and draw them for an easy taunt and hold, and a bird explosion tank that will drag them over to me when he is not peeling a very low life bird off of me to take to the designated explosion area.
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... w&n=Chorus
Chorus <Dissension>, 80 Paladin of Bleeding Hollow
Chorus

Postby Afraithe » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:08 am

One thing to note, there are a few bugs in the Al'ar fight, that wipes us a few times. First there is the "to close to the wall" death, if you stand to close to the wall when he does his Flame Quill move (burning the upper floors), your toast.

Another bug is if a bird explodes and you fly close to the upper platforms, Al'ar can go into the "Evade" mode, screwing your raid over bigtime.

So
1) Stand close to the wall so that when you blow up, you just fly back a bit into the wall (and not up and away).
2) Don't stand close to the wall, when he goes up into air in phase 1.

Good luck.
Afraithe

Postby Eneroth » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:50 am

I think thats what I am going to be doing on our next try on big bird. Is to tank the adds that spawn on the bottom. Use Hammer of Justice when they are at like 10%, and have the range just finish them off so we don't get hurt by the explosion. Will have to test it out on the next run. Is their any good videos of us tanking the birds on the bottom? Thanks.
Eneroth

Postby DJSticky » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:38 am

Eneroth wrote:I think thats what I am going to be doing on our next try on big bird. Is to tank the adds that spawn on the bottom. Use Hammer of Justice when they are at like 10%, and have the range just finish them off so we don't get hurt by the explosion. Will have to test it out on the next run. Is their any good videos of us tanking the birds on the bottom? Thanks.

If I can get my video editing software to work I'll try and make one tomarrow.

One tip I can offer is don't try to pick the birds up yourself in Phase 2. If they change targets (which they do because they will likely be going after heal agro) and you pop your taunt it could get away from you. We use a hunter and Elemental shaman to pick up the Phoenixs as they spawn and I taunt them off them.
DJSticky

Postby Eneroth » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:38 am

Had to deal with a agro happy bear last night. She really was getting on my last nerve as she was taunting the mob and not letting me bring it back to were we were going to kill it. I sent her a few tells, then just gave up cause she didn't want to listen at all. And I really can't go off like I normaly would on someone, just cause she is a woman irl.

Anyways any luck on making that video so I an take a look at the way other pallys get this done?
Eneroth

Postby Joanadark » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:10 am

omg hai Palafix!

Is it possible to MT Al'ar itself during phase 1 without any ability to quickly get back (Feral Charge/Intercept) into tanking positions upstairs after jumping down?

It is possible to tank the first platforms without having intercept or feral charge at all. Use speed pots. You can do it so the raid doesn't take a single flame buffet.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Joanadark » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:18 am

The way I do the add pick-ups is I stand at the very foot of the ramp and judge righteousness on the new add as it flies down the ramp. I tank the adds already on me with consecration, downranked in the early stages when damage in-flow is low and full rank later once 5+ adds are on me, and placement at the very bottom corner of the ramp means that if your judgement resists the add should run over your consecration anyway.

If an ember aggros to someone on the platforms, which sometimes happens from an ill-timed demo shout or something, we have a hunter which is tasked to distracting shot the add and kite him down into my consecration.

You shouldn't need much threat gear in all honesty. Wear your Block Value gear instead. They hit for maybe 900 unblocked.
You shouldn't really be competing with anyone for threat either. Melee should only really take them down to 40-50% in phase one and have plenty of time to do that with the slow rate of ember spawning, so it's not exactly a race.

LOL @ coming in 5th on the damage meters before the mages respeced arcane. That was good for a laugh and a screenshot.

That's one of my favorite fights so far.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Next

Return to Tempest Keep