Remove Advertisements

Illidan Phase 2 Eye Beam/Blaze Issues

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Illidan Phase 2 Eye Beam/Blaze Issues

Postby Dorianias » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:33 pm

Greetings fellow Prot Paly's. Ive been a long time reader but alas this is my 1st post. Obviously my guild is on Illidan and both myself and the other FR Tank are having issues with the Flame graphics. What seems to be the issue is once the eye beem overlaps one of our kite paths it becomes impossible to see the old Blaze locations. We have gotten lucky numerous times and gotten to phase 3 but about half the time one of us bites it do to this problem. We are both Resist and Crit Cap'd and both are at about 18k hp buffed. Any idea's or recomendations would be greatly appreciated.
Dorianias

Postby Amarant_Pally » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:40 pm

All I can recommend is kite them the same way and keep track of where your Blazes are. Like, for me personally, I start off where the flame spawns. I then go North (I think?) in my kite path, kiting around. By the time I get back to the "spawn point" my first 2-3 blazes are starting to fade.

However, there are unfortunate situations where you have the beam trail + blazes you might have to cross through, and you just need to warn healers and move through them ASAP.
Amarant_Pally

Postby samsara » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:27 am

We got him finaly down. :)

I also had problems with phase 2.

One thing that helped was that the illidan tank just told us where illidan is like "illidan north west @ samsara" the second thing was that when you have to cross the eyebeamline just tell the healers that you will get more dmg at this time so one grouphealer can help them.
samsara

Re: Illidan Phase 2 Eye Beam/Blaze Issues

Postby Stings » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:13 am

Dorianias wrote:Greetings fellow Prot Paly's. Ive been a long time reader but alas this is my 1st post. Obviously my guild is on Illidan and both myself and the other FR Tank are having issues with the Flame graphics. What seems to be the issue is once the eye beem overlaps one of our kite paths it becomes impossible to see the old Blaze locations. We have gotten lucky numerous times and gotten to phase 3 but about half the time one of us bites it do to this problem. We are both Resist and Crit Cap'd and both are at about 18k hp buffed. Any idea's or recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

My best advice is to listen to the sound of Blaze. Take notice of it in the beginning, then it isn't that hard anymore to back up when you hear it.
Stings

Postby Helpunot » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:21 pm

Stings wrote:
Dorianias wrote:Greetings fellow Prot Paly's. Ive been a long time reader but alas this is my 1st post. Obviously my guild is on Illidan and both myself and the other FR Tank are having issues with the Flame graphics. What seems to be the issue is once the eye beem overlaps one of our kite paths it becomes impossible to see the old Blaze locations. We have gotten lucky numerous times and gotten to phase 3 but about half the time one of us bites it do to this problem. We are both Resist and Crit Cap'd and both are at about 18k hp buffed. Any idea's or recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

My best advice is to listen to the sound of Blaze. Take notice of it in the beginning, then it isn't that hard anymore to back up when you hear it.

This....

I tank the fire adds different than any video I have ever seen. I simply get at max range (as far as I know is safe from the totems) which is about 1 yd outside of the last outside ring of the circle. I stand in place until I hear the blaze sound meaning it has actually been cast (have had some weird bugs where if I moved while he was casting and I didn't hear the sound yet, he wasn't actually casting and I ended up screwing up my kiting pattern) then I move about 4 yards to the north or south of the circle, while still staying exactly 1 yard or less from the outside edge. I continue to do this and if you think about a watch, how the fire add is facing outwards and away from the raid, that is where his blazes go.

Why do I do this you ask? I am the 2nd fire add tank, and by the time it is my turn to have my add dps'd down, I can now move the add into melee position for a total of 3 blaze casts. Not to mention, it seems like I can get a LOT more blaze casts in my maximum kite path, so when I have to turn around and run back, not only am I not running through previous blazes to get back to the starting point, halfway through the kiting path 1/4 of the previously casted blazes have already despawned.

Figured I'd post this up since it has worked for me, also makes it kinda easy to avoid eyebeams / knowing where you can run to avoid the damn thing. And no, I never got to tank Illidan, even though my gear was at least on par with our warrior MT, thats the role of the OT for the guild. WOTLK, I have already made a stand that I will not be just an OT, I will mainspec ret before I think of doing that.
Helpunot

Postby superworm » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:19 pm

Dorianias wrote:both myself and the other FR Tank are having issues with the Flame graphics. What seems to be the issue is once the eye beem overlaps one of our kite paths it becomes impossible to see the old Blaze locations.

My suggestion is, you should turn the Spell Detail option to minimum. This works perfect for me. Then what you should do is to change your camera to upmost and tell your Illidan tank to warn both of your FR tanks about eye beams and Illidan changing positions.

Another trick is that there is a safe point, about 20 yards away from the blade of azzinoth (left side or right side, away from the raid) as the two eye beams cross at the blade. Usually I would drop something at that safe point during the cut scene, e.g. Brazier of Dancing Flames got from festival events. When the eye beam comes, the Illidan tank would warn me, and if I'm not sure of where to go, I would run to the safe point while warning the healers to increase healing on me.
superworm

Postby Tyaera » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:39 pm

Rely on your main tank to tell you where Illidan is flying.

Then, have him announce "eye beam from north/south".

Besides that, turn spell detail way down.

You don't need to announce to your healers if you're walking in the eye beam trail. It doesn't hurt at all. The green fire, yes, but not the blue fire.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby Helpunot » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 am

Off topic, but our MT doesn't speak on vent..... warrior, he has a mic but refuses to speak on vent makes brut, kalec and other fights very interesting since someone has to speak for him. Noone announces eyebeams except for here comes an eyebeam your side <insert tank name here>.
Helpunot

Postby Worldie » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:20 am

Your GM must love that MT quite a lot if he's allowed to "refuse to speak on vent" on fights where it's a must have.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby baghead » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:45 pm

For blaze damage I would recommend some sort of SCT type mod. I use SCT and it's just so easy to spot blaze damage when the blaze/fire breath get out of sync.

For the eye beam dodging, I drew up a map that showed where the safe spots to stand were. When I hear 'eye beam' I just move into a safe spot. Works a treat, and when you feel confident about safe locations you don't even mess with your kite path.

To be honest, the hardest thing I found with the flames was maintaining high threat. I'm not sure if its hit boxes or what, but I found that the flames could hit you at right on the edge of consecrate, and sometimes out of consecrate range. So to get decent threat, I do a sort of dance with the flame. Wait for the flame patch, move back 2 steps, drop consecrate, then move back 10 steps, wait for flame to move, then move fwd 2 steps so next consecrate is guaranteeed to be in rage of flame. Hard to explain but my threat went from fail to good.

It's definitely one of the fights where you bemoan our 'passive' rather than 'active' threat abilities. You will lose occasional consecration ticks due to kiting and holy shield doesn't proc :(

Best of luck.. it's a cool fight.
baghead

Postby Seloei » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:54 am

Since our raid leader is a "god" and thinks he knows everything he only yells out whose side illidan is on and assumes you can avoid the beam i tend to slack on threat and just watch the whole place where the beam comes.
The kite path i use (first kill target) is go to max range (straight out) from where the glaive spawns, JoCr on him and exorcism. Take 2 "blazes" to the right, turn him around, inner path, 4-5 blazes, turn to outer circle, rince'n'repeat.
The beams however are killers since our raid leader refuses to say which direction its coming from only whos side it's on. As soon as the raid warning pops up Eye Beam i stop moving the flame, look where the beam is and then move out/in/left/right. Most of the times this works.

Having a predetermind safe spot where he never hits you with the beam is quite nice. One of them is right at the "start point" where i am. Never thought of em but might use it if we ever go back to bt.
Seloei

Postby vschiano2008 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:56 am

Helpunot wrote:Off topic, but our MT doesn't speak on vent..... warrior, he has a mic but refuses to speak on vent makes brut, kalec and other fights very interesting since someone has to speak for him. Noone announces eyebeams except for here comes an eyebeam your side <insert tank name here>.

thats... funny...

same with our old MT- druid from New Zealend (spl?) with a funny sounding voices, didn't talk on vent ever.

the week after our first archi kill (Pre 3.0..) he typed "if we 2 shot archi i'll talk when we get up to illidan".

well, we one shot him.. and he said nope, i said 2 shot.

also; the eye beams don't cause damage?
I have not tanked for illidan yet, because i server transfered after my guild downed illidan (which i played a different toon for) however i transferred BACK and now i'm gonna be tanking a flame..

honestly im scared! i always hated when a tank just went from like 18k to dead in a matter of 2 seconds on phase 2, and everyone complained he 'took a beam'. i don't want to fuck up, and my computer gets choppy if i don't turn spell detail down, and then i usually can't see stuff on the ground.
vschiano2008

Postby Worldie » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:52 am

The eye beam ticks for about 20k damage.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Stilgarr » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:53 am

[quote="vschiano2008honestly im scared! i always hated when a tank just went from like 18k to dead in a matter of 2 seconds on phase 2, and everyone complained he 'took a beam'. i don't want to fuck up, and my computer gets choppy if i don't turn spell detail down, and then i usually can't see stuff on the ground.[/quote]

Since 3.0 if your healers and FR kit can hold you up, you dont need to kite the flames. So if a beam is heading your way just move and hold the elemental in the new spot.
Stilgarr

Postby Sarkan-ZdC » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:37 am

We are Hyjal Clear (2.4.3) and now up to ilidan (not down 3.0.2, servers not working, before we had 0 tries, but we did see him standing there).

Now we have tanks with 365 FR. We have good healers. We have killed mother 5 times, archimonde 4 or so and Council 2 times.

Now move them or not to move them?

And how about melee, can they attack them?
Sarkan-ZdC

Next

Return to Black Temple