Mana Pool and Spell Costs

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Mana Pool and Spell Costs

Postby Thorongil » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:17 pm

When it comes to WotLK research, I've relied exclusively on WoWHead for info. Their WotLK Beta pages say that every Paladin spell (that they have listed) costs mana equal to a %age of your base mana pool, not any fixed amounts. Now, I don't know if this is what mana costs are in current beta testing, or if they have their info wrong. But if they are right...

Doesn't that mean that the less mana a pally has, the better off he or she is?

If spells cost a %age instead of a static mana cost, less total mana = smaller total mana costs for all spells = mana pots become super efficient as a means to restore X% of your mana pool (plus that lovely Divine Plea spell, thanks Blizz!).

I could be completely mistaken, but I was hoping to hear from the experts here who would know what the deal is.

I know we're getting retrofitted with Str in place of SP and some Int, and that spell damage will be effected by AP and SP, but beyond that I'm pretty out of the loop. I just reactivated my account the other day in preparation for WotLK, so any knowledge and wisdom the Tankadin community can impart to me will be most appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advance!
What? No, don't sap, trap, or sheep. No, don't. No. Stop whining, I'm making your job easier.
Thorongil

Postby Levantine » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:20 pm

Uhhhh no. It's a % of the BASE mana pool. As in before Int. It's a static cost relative to one's level.
Levantine

Postby Blutreich » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:21 pm

percent of base mana
base mana = mana naked
returns are based off max mana
max mana = mana dressed
Going to spend my cab money on more shots and just take the ambulance home
Blutreich

Postby Knatniam » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:21 pm

Base mana does not change with gear or talents. I forget how to find out your exact base mana, but it is very close to the mana you have while completely naked.
Knatniam - Dark - Proudmoore
Knatniam

Postby Thorongil » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:21 pm

ah ha. Thank you very much. I was just misinterpreting "base mana pool".

Cheers, all!
Last edited by Thorongil on Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What? No, don't sap, trap, or sheep. No, don't. No. Stop whining, I'm making your job easier.
Thorongil

Postby majiben » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:31 pm

Base mana=/=total mana. Base mana is the mana you have before intellect. Even standing naked you have some racial intellect that needs to excluded form the % of base mana a spell costs. At 70 you should have just over 3k base mana and at 80 it should be close to 4k.

An exact mana cost can't be given because the cost changes every level. A spell that already works off this system is Cleanse. The mana cost for cleanse goes up every level but is not increased by putting on intellect gear.

This is a good video by one of maintankadin's best summarising the changes we are having.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Karock » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:15 am

Wow Invisusira that video is incredibly well done. /applauds
Karock

Postby Sarkan-ZdC » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:09 am

Base Mana is Mana Nacked MINUS Mana from Int

Level 80 is 4,3k, exact numer you find with the search, too lazy.
Sarkan-ZdC

Return to WotLK