AoE farming in WotLK

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Kellern » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:54 pm

Rasmfrackn wrote:
Kelaan wrote:
Rasmfrackn wrote:... if you'd stayed rested, that would've been 6 bubbles an hour. 3.3ish hours per level is pretty good. :)

Questing to 71 took me probably 7-8 hours in BT... hard to say b/c I had about 40% of the level from exploring all the zones first.

Without rested XP, that's still looking like ~7 hours/level. Seems pretty competetive with questing, if that's your thing. I think I'll prefer to quest, though. On the bright side, grinding on humanoids should net lots of potions and cloth and a few greens to sell/DE.

I have a grand total of 5 pieces of frozenweave cloth to my name partway through 71. There are like no humanoids in the tundra. That might be a VERY good reason to grind out at least part of a level there. :)

-- Oh, and I never ever have enough bag space to actually sit and grind for an hour without hitting a mailbox and a vendor. It's sad, really. I think I can really streamline my gear now that "mitigation" and "threat" gear is so much closer together.

Amen to that. I carry my normal gear, my block pieces, my tier 5 pieces, my tier 4 pieces... It gets insane.
Moonlight - Argent Dawn EU
Kellern

Postby guillex » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:11 pm

Oh yeah, forgot that part.

I have a full stack and another of 13 pieces of cloth from 'em. Plus a few greens.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby rodos » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:51 pm

Garwin wrote:just west of the riplash strand theres a large area with floating monoliths that drop large 20+ groups of ghouls and abomination type mobs.
I found this place and thought I'd gone to pally heaven.

Garwin wrote:in the middle of it all it's got a named litch bloke which I left alone

"Named litch bloke"? It's Kel'Thuzad!!! Probably best not to mess with him.

Garwin wrote:unfortunatly they didn't give me any xp.

Yes, sadly I discovered this too.
rodos

Postby Kathane » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:49 am

Guillex wrote:Ok. So. This is OP.

Seriously.

Fucking.

OP.

I was in the Dark Iron Mines south of the Expedition Point in Howling Fjord ... BoSanc up, SoL, HS, HotR ... There's a never-ending stream of dwarves near where you complete the Thunder quest.

I burned through 3 bars of rested, and a bar and a half of regular xp in a mere hour.

I didn't have to drink or move once, never got below 50% mana, and I didn't have the FotC equipped. I could barely loot everything in time.

This is going to be a favorite spot of mine from now on.

I'm in ur minz, AOEing ur Rune Dwarfs :twisted:

30ish minutes, about 4-4.5 XP bubbles (rested), Delicious Cupcake and Day Old Mammoth recipes, a stack of cloth, about 12g in vendor trash. Only got low when both Runecasters spawned as I was AOEing a group of about 15.

1) SoL
2) Jol
3) BoSanct
4)Holy Shield
5) Profit!!
"What's the kill order?"
"This room, the next room, the hallway, and then the boss."
*throws shield*

Kathane

Postby Garwin » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:13 am

rodos wrote:
Garwin wrote:just west of the riplash strand theres a large area with floating monoliths that drop large 20+ groups of ghouls and abomination type mobs.
I found this place and thought I'd gone to pally heaven.

it's weird isn't it.. you see the mobs .. you look above .. you see Kel'Thuzad and all of a sudden you get this realisation of what might be possible .. if your carefull..

and then they go and spoil it all just as your looking at your logs as the first 40 ghouls die..
Garwin

Postby Equillian » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:16 am

Eanin wrote:I was fiddling around on test, and I found the most efficient way to do this was to bless sanctuary, seal light and judge light on one mob at a time. Full mana and health after every fight. It was amazing.

you can do the EXACT same thing with 8 mobs on you
I always have a minute, sometimes its taken by someone, but there's always the next.
Equillian

Postby EvilNuff » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:45 pm

AoE grinding is fun to do but I have found Ret to be FAR superior for levelling. In my experience (only 77 in beta) its about 50% faster as Ret. Oh and as for not eating or drinking...I haven't eaten or drunk anything since level 74 (which was a previous build). We are seriously overpowered in beta, heh.
EvilNuff

Postby Neuron » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:49 pm

As much as I am a die hard aoe grinding fan, you really should try leveling as ret for a bit. Insane damage and decent mana regen and just plain fun. Stuff dies so fast it is like running around as a wrecking ball and the only thing slowing you down is travel time and whether you can still keep your eyes open.

I did end up leveling as prot, purely for the purpose of testing leveling as prot. I did most of this however with the 312% sotr and so I can't really say what it is like now (feels ALOT slower).
http://www.ardentdefender.com - A combat log parsing API
Neuron

Postby honorshammer » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:51 pm

EvilNuff wrote:AoE grinding is fun to do but I have found Ret to be FAR superior for levelling. In my experience (only 77 in beta) its about 50% faster as Ret. Oh and as for not eating or drinking...I haven't eaten or drunk anything since level 74 (which was a previous build). We are seriously overpowered in beta, heh.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but I would like to make the following point:

At some point, if you are going to be a Tankadin, you need to get used to the new tools and abilities we have. You need to develop the muscule memory and trained responses to various situations. I don't what level is best, but sometime before 80, it would probably be a good idea to spend some quality time as your chosen level 80 spec.
honorshammer

Postby Arcand » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:55 pm

Honorshammer wrote:I don't what level is best, but sometime before 80, it would probably be a good idea to spend some quality time as your chosen level 80 spec.

It's also nice to be familiar with the newbie dungeons before you meet them in big bad heroic mode.
Arcand

Postby Paladei » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:12 pm

How is lack of downtime any different from Affliction grinding as a Lock? It's been possible before... I hope it stays this way though. I hate running into certain areas in live and having difficulty (either due to walking casters, etc.).

Certain scenarios feel damn near impossible from time to time, but that could just be because I'm used to AFK grinding and don't like to pay attention... lol.
Paladei

Postby Rasmfrackn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:18 pm

Kathane wrote:
Guillex wrote:I was in the Dark Iron Mines south of the Expedition Point in Howling Fjord ... BoSanc up, SoL, HS, HotR ... There's a never-ending stream of dwarves near where you complete the Thunder quest.

I burned through 3 bars of rested, and a bar and a half of regular xp in a mere hour.

I didn't have to drink or move once, never got below 50% mana, and I didn't have the FotC equipped. I could barely loot everything in time.

This is going to be a favorite spot of mine from now on.

I'm in ur minz, AOEing ur Rune Dwarfs :twisted:

30ish minutes, about 4-4.5 XP bubbles (rested), Delicious Cupcake and Day Old Mammoth recipes, a stack of cloth, about 12g in vendor trash. Only got low when both Runecasters spawned as I was AOEing a group of about 15.

1) SoL
2) Jol
3) BoSanct
4)Holy Shield
5) Profit!!

/necro

Is this still the same? I'm in the Baelgun excavation site, in a cave mid-way up the cliff, on some scaffolding. There are just golems in here normally, and then suddenly I got swarmed by ~50 dwarves, killed (I'm ret) and then they disappeared. I noticed some big titan looking guy over to the side temporarily, but they despawned again.

If they come and go like that, would that put a cramp on the grinding? Do they not despawn and keep coming if you don't, ahem, die?

-- Hrm, it just happened again and I managed to only get ~20 of them... I lived, but they're not lootable. Am I in the wrong place?
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Kathane » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:31 pm

Ras,

They're kinda touchy ;-) I've found they work best as long as they're being kept on a regular spawn timer, by folks doing the quest. It seemed if they single-popped, the mobs would not be lootable.

I tended to hang in the back of that cave section, away from the titan. Throw a shield, they'd all come running. Obviously not going to work for you as ret.
"What's the kill order?"
"This room, the next room, the hallway, and then the boss."
*throws shield*

Kathane

Postby Rasmfrackn » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:27 pm

Kathane wrote:Ras,

They're kinda touchy ;-) I've found they work best as long as they're being kept on a regular spawn timer, by folks doing the quest. It seemed if they single-popped, the mobs would not be lootable.

I tended to hang in the back of that cave section, away from the titan. Throw a shield, they'd all come running. Obviously not going to work for you as ret.

That's helpful, thanks. I'll respec into something more survivable and see if they change somehow into giving XP and Loot if I keep them in combat or something.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Tats » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:18 pm

any more info about this spot in HF? are the dwarves just supposed to be standing there, or are the waves triggered by something?
Tats

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK