Remove Advertisements

My synopsis of Paladin glyphs. (TL;DR: CRAP.)

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:42 am

Mortehl wrote:Splug, your points in that post are pretty dead on.

I'd like to add that I've been actively raiding on the PTR. The 10 Expertise is VERY measurable in what impact it brings, just look at the WWS. And having a ranged shield slam level damage from Avenger's shield is beyond amazing. It is FANTASTIC. I absolutely can't wait to use this for real.

Finally, anyone who doesn't want to start off with a guaranteed hit taunt with the RD glyph should really rethink things.

The expertise is nice, but I'd trade it every time and twice on sundays for a 10% increase in block value. A percentage increase in block value like that is the gift that keeps on giving. I think glyphs as a whole are pretty lackluster, but they aren't really meant to be very powerful, though I expect they'll continue to refine the system. Baby steps is probably prudent here. I'd still like to see a mitigation glyph of some sort though.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby steadypal » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:47 am

so SOV and expertise is good

AS idk still situational imo

8% to taunt is nice, make it minor glyph for all tank classes IMO

10% judgements, yaaa 10% more threat is nice...

we can only use 2 majors till 80 tho...

and still WTB 10% bv for 10 seconds after a 6 sec CD [Read Worldie's announcement please. -Lore]

give us the same one dammit, trade hotr 51pt talent with our lvl 75 talent

10% bv for 10 seconds after we use our pally shield slam, 6sec CD PST
steadypal

Postby Amanor » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:34 pm

I think we've got some pretty potent options, as many others have illustrated. Personally, my only gripe about our Glyphs, and the whole glyph design in general, is that they're only equivalent to extra talent points. I mean, those of us at Camp Tankadin are very familiar with speccing into passive bonuses already...and it seems with this new profession all we get as a whole is another set of passive, boring, though effective, bonuses to acquire.

I'd personally like to see them mature glyphs into being more like the AS one: a swap in style, but not exactly better or worse. Some people like the AS glyph and intend to use it, because they want that bigger burst on one target. Others really like the functionality of grabbing multiple targets at one time. Each can choose to use the skill in the style they are most comfortable with. Hell, that's what I was expecting to see all throughout the glyph library...

I'd also like to see them stray from glyphs that are either nearly entirely useless (FoL) or entirely mandatory (HL) to function properly in one's role.

Ideally, they'd also add glyphs that make skills that were either previously overshadowed, or worthless from one spec to the other, shine. Say, one that turns Consecrate into an AoE heal so Holy can make (admittedly limited) use of it, or one that makes the Seals alter the heals cast (SoV/SoCor making heals into HoTs, or partial HoTs, SoB/SotM adding another heal or some umpf at the cost of health, that sort of deal)...maybe one that makes FoL a sort of Holy Shock for Ret to throw around when Art of War procs, I dunno. Just something to kinda...open doors.

As things stand right now, Glyphs probably seem underwhelming because they're really somewhat...boring.
Amanor

Postby DeadMilliken » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:13 pm

To those of you who like the +10% judgement glyph.

Would you like the AS glyph more if I told you it provides 4 times the threat compared to the 10% judgement glyph does over the course of a single target fight?
DeadMilliken

Postby Lore » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:16 pm

DeadMilliken wrote:To those of you who like the +10% judgement glyph.

Would you like the AS glyph more if I told you it provides 4 times the threat compared to the 10% judgement glyph does over the course of a single target fight?

The reason some people (like myself) tend to skip the AS glyph isn't that it's not good enough threat, it's that it removes the bounces. I likes my bounces.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby DeadMilliken » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:20 pm

Lore wrote:

The reason some people (like myself) tend to skip the AS glyph isn't that it's not good enough threat, it's that it removes the bounces. I likes my bounces.

I should have preferanced "those other than lore" :p

I'm fine with the "but I like my bouncies"

I was more of trying to point out to some that if they like the single target bonus threat off the Judgement glyph....they might want to reconsider that AS glyph again, cause its quite the superior of the two at it ;)
DeadMilliken

Postby honorshammer » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:21 pm

DeadMilliken wrote:
Lore wrote:

I should have preferanced "those other than lore" :p

I'm fine with the "but I like my bouncies"

I was more of trying to point out to some that if they like the single target bonus threat off the Judgement glyph....they might want to reconsider that AS glyph again, cause its quite superior at it ;)

The reason I dig the Judgement Glyph is that is works well whether I'm soloing or tanking, whether I'm PVEing or PVPing, and wether Im Ret or Prot.
honorshammer

Postby DeadMilliken » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:23 pm

Honorshammer wrote:wether Im Ret or Prot.

Now THAT is a very good point I hadn't considered....the suckiness of switching glyphs with specs.
DeadMilliken

Postby Conaan! » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:33 pm

DeadMilliken wrote:
Honorshammer wrote:wether Im Ret or Prot.

Now THAT is a very good point I hadn't considered....the suckiness of switching glyphs with specs.

they are rather cheap to make so, it wont be that bad

personally, ill be grabbing AS/SoV glyphs, i will use Hotr if i want 3 mobs on me and ive heard some bad stories in h-shatt halls about bouncy bouncing

later on for fights that require taunting ill grab RD glyph, the judgement damage glyph does look sweet, but would probally only interest me on leveling purposes
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby aranil » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Conaan! wrote:
personally, ill be grabbing AS/SoV glyphs, i will use Hotr if i want 3 mobs on me and ive heard some bad stories in h-shatt halls about bouncy bouncing

The bad bouncing can be fixed if you know how the thing works. It hits the two targets CLOSEST to your target. Those bad bonuces where add aims or timing. Not to sound like an ass, but the bad bouncing is more user error then game error.
aranil

Postby Rasmfrackn » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:04 pm

I like my bounces.

LS is way better than LoH, because LS is useful when I have healers. LoH is usually half overheal if not more, and gives no lasting effect. (LS is proactive, LoH is reactive. I prefer the former.)

Now, about glyphs... the SoB glyph is crap. Pure crap. So I can use a major slot to get 1% more SA mana while SoB is in active... or I can use a major slot to get 2% more SA mana all the time. Hrm. The SoB seal only makes sense if you're going to take both for some reason.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Conaan! » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:49 pm

aranil wrote:
Conaan! wrote:

The bad bouncing can be fixed if you know how the thing works. It hits the two targets CLOSEST to your target. Those bad bonuces where add aims or timing. Not to sound like an ass, but the bad bouncing is more user error then game error.

incorrect, the bad bounces were game error, as shattered halls pulls are rarely 2 mobs and the situations were pulls after the guantlet (5-6? cant remember), so its a game design gone wrong, AS picking a target off to side instead of the one right next to it (it was pulling side duelist packs).
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby steadypal » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:58 pm

steadypal wrote:Glyph of Blocking
Major Glyph
Classes: Warrior
Requires Level 40
Use: Increases your block value by 10% for 10 sec after using your Shield Slam ability.

GEEEEEE let me think about this one ummmm YAAAA WTB wtf blizz

SDJKLFJSLDKJFSLDKJFSDLJSDLKFJSDLKFSJDLFKJSDF

wtb, wtb wtb wtb wtb....

PST
steadypal

Postby Sarkan-ZdC » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:47 pm

Lore wrote:

But after a while let's say 6 month into the expansion when we only raid and threat becomes a issue again, maybe that will change.

Bosses are what really count and for bosses AV 1-bounce rocks.
Sarkan-ZdC

Postby Ilara » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:21 pm

steadypal wrote:
steadypal wrote:Glyph of Blocking
Major Glyph
Classes: Warrior
Requires Level 40
Use: Increases your block value by 10% for 10 sec after using your Shield Slam ability.

GEEEEEE let me think about this one ummmm YAAAA WTB wtf blizz

SDJKLFJSLDKJFSLDKJFSDLJSDLKFJSDLKFSJDLFKJSDF

wtb, wtb wtb wtb wtb....

PST

Have to quote this for truth. some of our things are cute and all, but very few are really looking tasty enough to think "hey I REALLY want that!"

currently my mentality has blacksmithing as "omg yay armor n stuff"
engineering "yay trinkets, goggles, bombs, bikes, moar!"
Jewelcrafting as "Woot! Stam Gems plox!"

and then inscriptions as.... "meh..."
Guillex wrote:chop chop slap chop slap slap /b/ fap fap.... gogo
Ilara

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK