Remove Advertisements

Tanking Hydross

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Nich » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:32 pm

Pop an invis pot, and remove it and dump a consecrate when you're where you think Hydross is standing.
Nich

Postby Saladin » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:14 am

Invisibility pot to pick him up..

If you look at the hydross page on wiki theres a video of a Belf pally MTing for frost on Hydross.. so it is possible.. looks like he just spams holy spells whenever they're up

300 Frost resistance and 12k hp i believe unbuffed so far.. i suppose i could lower it and use Frost aura to up the HP.. lets see what happens .. we will prolly attempt him some time this week =D
Saladin

Postby Ayasune » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:52 am

Well, detailed...our guild kills Hydross for some time now, and from yesterday on i have to take tank part.

I use to tank his Nature Phase. Whatever your tanking, frost oder nature, it's tremendously important you are at the resistances cap (365), full buffed with aura of course.

After this, you focus on both: Def and HP. Get as close as possible to the 490 def cap for reducing your chance of being crit (i had myself only 453 yesterday, still works), but in all matters: Health is the key.
I am on him with 15,8k health, full buffed with Imp, Flask, Buff Food, commanding shout. A Shadow priest isn't necessary for u cuz' you can regenerate mana usin' Seal of Wisdom while the other tank is doin his job in the frost oder nature phase (the phase you're not tankin').

Aggro: I use ~200 Spelldamage + Wizard Oil. Usually u'll get a Misdirection on startup, instantly blasting avengers Shield and a JoR at his shift. Push up Avenging wrath for every 2nd Phase ya tankin, and keep on using Avengers Shield as well (you can't block elemental attacks either). Make sure you judge Crusader pretty early and use max rank Consecration.

One thing: For the last phase, wenn Elementals are banished and hydross is nuked down...you should have Avenging Wrath rdy, keep that in mind ;)
Last edited by Ayasune on Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ayasune

Postby dhan619 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:50 pm

I tanked the Frost part of hydross just fine. It's actually easier for a paladin to tank it because when the nature tank gets 100% mark and he's bringing it to the other side... the pally should be stacking SoV on it to add dots to it so that as soon as he switches form and drops aggro it will automatically be on the paladin.

It's easy as cake. Same goes for Leo the Blind.
Danielhan
<Grandeur>
Server: Muradin

dhan619

Postby Deimosfobos » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:48 am

All this info really helps me, we lost our frost tank due to rl problems and i was asked to step in.
Getting the gear as i write this, knowing what to spec always helps, specially being a tankadin.

ty
Deimosfobos

Postby Eliane » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:21 am

I tank Hydross. Basically becuase I already had 2 of 3 Wildguard when our old NR tank left. Threat is an issue and so are resists, especially during the transitions.

I'll be tanking him again tonight so I can check what my tps is like.
Eliane

Postby Kayoto » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:17 am

PsiVen wrote: It's quite hard to get 295 resist and 490 def at the same time, likely impossible without a +def weapon.

Shouldn't you only need 270 resist unbuffed? +25 from Gift of the Wild, +70 from Frost Resist Aura (or NR Totem/Aspect of Nature if you're the NR tank) should bring you just up to 365 at that point.
Kayoto

Postby Worldie » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:40 am

Its possible to tank Hydross as paladin, you lose some threat generation but you can counter this with spelldamage consumables if your HP are high enough. (and you have AW about for 1 phase yes and 1-2 not)

But well it would be better to have a Warrior (or even a Druid) doing this.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby adese » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:02 am

Worldie wrote:Its possible to tank Hydross as paladin, you lose some threat generation but you can counter this with spelldamage consumables if your HP are high enough. (and you have AW about for 1 phase yes and 1-2 not)

But well it would be better to have a Warrior (or even a Druid) doing this.

How much HP would you recommend for a pally MT on Hydross?

My GM has asked me to be the NR tank on Hydross. I told him that pallies aren't best suited to do this, however I am currently one of the best geared tanks in the guild, so it makes sense for me to be MT here.

With the NR gear crafted by BS and JC, I am around 11.5k HP unbuffed and a bit shy of uncrittable (IIRC). Is this sufficient to be MT on Hydross?
adese

Postby jere » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:04 am

Kayoto wrote:
PsiVen wrote: It's quite hard to get 295 resist and 490 def at the same time, likely impossible without a +def weapon.

Shouldn't you only need 270 resist unbuffed? +25 from Gift of the Wild, +70 from Frost Resist Aura (or NR Totem/Aspect of Nature if you're the NR tank) should bring you just up to 365 at that point.

GotW doesn't stack with Auras
jere

Postby Eliane » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:01 pm

Ok I just got back from SSC, and on Hydross I did aproximatly 500-600tps, not a whole lot but enough to keep aggo through out the fight.

In my NR gear I have 280NR, uncrittable and 11.3k HP unbuffed and my healers havent complained about me being harder to heal than the warrior.

I also tank one add during the frost phase.
Eliane

Postby Akonda » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:32 pm

My new guild successfully downed Hydross for their first time tonight.

I've done it over 30 times now... but tonight was the first time I actually tanked.

With 365 buffed NR I went in with 470 defense. When I got critted, I'd get hit for about 15k. Caused a wipe or two so my healers went ahead and told me to put on 490 defense and let them worry about the extra damage from lack of NR.

To avoid going to like 495 defense and losing another 30 Nature resist, I tried something. Switched my Bloodmaw Magus blade for my King's Defender. Sure it put me over the mark of 490, but I lost 2/3 of my spell damage giving me 140 spell dmg (with the help of an adept's elixir). With such low spell damage and no holy shield to help me, I did it just fine. I felt GREAT.
Akonda

Postby Lore » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:12 am

Deimosfobos wrote:All this info really helps me, we lost our frost tank due to rl problems and i was asked to step in.
Getting the gear as i write this, knowing what to spec always helps, specially being a tankadin.

ty

/wave

Hi deimos!
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Deimosfobos » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:32 am

Lore wrote:
Deimosfobos wrote:All this info really helps me, we lost our frost tank due to rl problems and i was asked to step in.

ty

/wave

Hi deimos!

/Salute

Hi Lore :)

As weeks go by, im doing more and more encounters as prot, reliable tanks are not easy to get and since agro is a real problem as ret... prot is my new home atm... having fun tho, can't complain. :D
Deimosfobos

Postby Kayoto » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:59 am

jere wrote:GotW doesn't stack with Auras

How odd, I always thought that was the only buff that DID stack with others. My bad.
Kayoto

PreviousNext

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern