Postby PsiVen » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:43 pm

hay gusy i think ad sux so we should make it like super op to compensate k

But seriously, it should make you glow.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:44 pm

PsiVen wrote:hay gusy i think ad sux so we should make it like super op to compensate k
noez warrz will QQ moar!
qq till thars nuff left to qq aboot ad blows yanno lets just qq till teh puncti..punci...punctui...punktashion blows out of our minds.!
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Splug » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:47 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:well apparently we're all just going to say the same things a few seconds after each other today!
Thus is the effect of three like-minded people responding to the same post. I just made a short post and editted it after-the-fact, so mine got there first this time.

Calling down a valkyrie or something would be cooler than a glow. That way, it's appropriate whether it saves you or not...

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:48 pm

Splug wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:well apparently we're all just going to say the same things a few seconds after each other today!
Thus is the effect of three like-minded people responding to the same post. I just made a short post and editted it after-the-fact, so mine got there first this time.

Calling down a valkyrie or something would be cooler than a glow. That way, it's appropriate whether it saves you or not...

-Splug
About AD... I just want to feel pretty.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Splug » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:49 pm

I hear ponies make your pretty.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:50 pm

Splug wrote:I hear ponies make your pretty.

-Splug
FOR PONY!
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby kurros » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Sabindeus wrote:Seriously, they changed the way they tune raid bosses in WotLK. The cockblockers of old are no longer cockblocky in the same way of just outright killing tanks. If you are unable to go see this on beta for yourself then please trust the word of those of us who are.

I believe BC beta was the exact same. It's not that I don't trust the beta players, it's that I expect blizzard to buff things a bit for retail. Hopefully less than they did in BC, which led to Gruul being nearly unkillable, but I would be very surprised if nothing changes at all.

Or, it could just be that blizzard wants naxx to be completely trivial, and THAT is why there isn't any tank-killing burst, but I am sure it will be around when we get to do the t2 raids.
Anyway, lets just agree to disagree. Go away, or I'll just start reporting you to the mods for being a troll. In exchange, I'll stop pointing out your stupid in public.
kurros

Postby Noradin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:54 pm

Splug wrote:There's a significant difference between a passive, auto-activated ability and a proactively used short-duration ability.

I know, but you didn't write it like that.

I still think AD is to weak the way it is now - its ok for AoE groups and places you overgear or if you use DP but thats about it - and should be changed.
Making it reliably preventing deaths would make it to strong, but making it doing almost nothing you can depend on in a raid makes it a constant annoyance.

Back when they first introduced the talent, I thought maybe it would be better to have it increase the next direct healing taken for 3s instead of decreasing tamage taken. It would nerf the farming aspect etc. slightly (SoL/JoL are direct heals, so they would still gain the benefit) but make it way more interesting for tanking without making it overpowered.
ImageImage
Noradin

Postby Bobness » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:58 am

AD is already situationally overpowered or useless.
Perhaps a secondary effect could be :-

1%/2%/3%/4%/5% mitigation/dodge/parry on any damaging attack that would take you below 35% health, that way AD always has some value
Bobness

Postby trellian » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:35 am

i wonder why nobody ever thought about increasing healing taken instead of decreasing damage taken.

I know, in solo situations it kicks ass, but in a raid environment, getting hit below 35% health and have all heals that land on you be (for example) 50% more effective doesn't sound that bad.
trellian

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:37 am

trellian wrote:i wonder why nobody ever thought about increasing healing taken instead of decreasing damage taken.
Because the issue isn't being healed enough(that everyone already does, overheals are obscene), the issue is surviving until the heal comes.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby trellian » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:48 am

Snake-Aes wrote:
trellian wrote:i wonder why nobody ever thought about increasing healing taken instead of decreasing damage taken.
Because the issue isn't being healed enough(that everyone already does, overheals are obscene), the issue is surviving until the heal comes.

true, but that's currently on live with bosses hitting for insane amounts to compensate for insane amounts of avoidance that tanks have. AD doesn't really do that much for us @ T6+ levels.
my feeling is wotlk bossfights are going to be quite different. how this will effect the current usefullness of AD, i'm not quite sure off. but i think the talent is going to be very nice as-is with our increased blocks.

i wouldn't be surprised that leapfrogging AD will be a thing of the past (or at the worst a freak incident like eating a crushing blow is for us now).
Last edited by trellian on Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
trellian

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:49 am

trellian wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:

true, but that's currently on live with bosses hitting for insane amounts to compensate for insane amounts of avoidance that tanks have. AD doesn't really do that much for us @ T6+ levels.
my feeling is wotlk bossfights are going to be quite different. how this will effect the current usefullness of AD, i'm not quite sure off. but i think the talent is going to be very nice as-is with our increased blocks.

i wouldn't be surprised that leapfrogging AD will be a thing of the past.
Said overhealing's already happening at 80, It's a Fact of Healing®. +%heal doesn't help at all. -%damage is where it's at.

Outhealing the damage isn't an issue, it's never been. The challenge is in surviving while the heal lands. The importance of -% damage taken is that it will work in all situations +%healing does, plus situations where you can't count on the next healing spell.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Warcraft » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:01 am

No thank you. There have been more times than I can remember when Ardent Defender has given me more than 1 avoided hit and a measly 3 seconds of reduced incoming damage.

The leapfrogging complaint is so overplayed it's not even funny. I don't understand what it is that hits people this hard. Are you solo tanking Saber Lash bosses?

My only grief with Ardent Defender is the lack of an animation. I would be thrilled if they finally gave it one. A really big and flashy one that would let me healers know "WAKE UP!"
Warcraft

Postby Brand » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:33 am

Warcraft wrote:My only grief with Ardent Defender is the lack of an animation. I would be thrilled if they finally gave it one. A really big and flashy one that would let me healers know "WAKE UP!"

This. So very badly.

I've had instances where I get lazy healing on me because of a random string of dodge/parry and then I get smacked a few times without a heal. So anything that I have that lets my healers know (outside of playing Heal-a-Mole) that I need healing is a good thing. Plus, it actually lets us know when and how often this bad boy actually kicks in without having to dig through piles of data to find out.
"I wonder if there's beer on the sun." - Zap Rowsdower
Brand

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK