Tank sword SoB tanking vs spell sword SoR tanking?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Tank sword SoB tanking vs spell sword SoR tanking?

Postby Blutreich » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:45 pm

Basically wondering pros/cons of using http://thottbot.com/i29185[Continuum Blade] with SoR or http://thottbot.com/i29362[The Sun Eater] with SoB.
Going to spend my cab money on more shots and just take the ambulance home
Blutreich

Postby arie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:24 pm

SoB with a sun eater works fine for heroics if you have some str/agi gear, but I'm not so sure its effective in raids. I usually just go for spell damage with SoR now, but depending on your group composition and buffs SoB can work very well. Example, I go to heroic UB with a feral druid(+5%crit), dps warr(ap shout), and an enhancement shamy keeping strength of earth/windfury up, seal of blood is going to perform very well. In the same way I could be with a boomkin, ele/resto shamy for totem of wrath, retri pala judging crusader, and SoR is going to do alot better.

You may be able to do more average damage per swing with SoB than SoR depending on your gear, and it can crit(melee crit chance and rates) but with that the seal can also be dodged/parried/blocked/missed whereas SoR procs will always land if your normal swing does.

I still feel safer using righteousness with spell damage as its more stable threat and it doesn't drain my health =) And ofcourse the tier sets for tankadins are spell-damage based rather than str/agi which is why this doesn't get much farther than heroics IMO.
arie

Postby Myotis » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:26 pm

Don't forget that +spell damage also increases your other abilities. ( Consecration, Holy Shield and judgment )
Myotis

Postby Blutreich » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:32 pm

Ya, figured it was a bad idea, I just like the sexy tanking stats, and once you reach uncrushable the only tanking stat you can get on a spelldamage sword is stamina >.<
Blutreich

Postby Grigsby » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:55 pm

There's always -

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32660 (Crystal Forged Sword)

Tank Stats + Spell Damage ?
Grigsby

Postby Korrupd » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:00 pm

IMO, SoB was more designed as a stable damage source for DPSadins. Low-end instances and heroics, it can be nice (depending on group and gear, as was said), but SoR is more useful as a stable tanking damage.

There was a thread around the site about using SoR with a +spell dmg sword, and SoB with Kings Defender/Sun Eater, and it being nice as a mitigation used seal rather than a raw tanking seal.

Anybody know if it can be parried and if it will hurt if a boss were to parry it? Seems like since they changed it so SoB doesnt proc SoL/SoW, it might not trigger a true boss parry...

I dunno.
Korrupd

Postby Worldie » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:14 pm

I've tanked for some time with SoB and the Sun Eater, it gave me about 10 more damages with my 150 spelldamage than SoR, so i used to prefer it.

Then i realized that i was just giving bosses another chance to Parry something.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Blutreich » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:05 pm

Grigsby wrote:There's always -

once uncrushable blockrating = nothing
Blutreich

Postby Nerfage » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:27 am

Blutreich wrote:
Grigsby wrote:There's always -

once uncrushable blockrating = nothing

I don't know about you... but I arrange my "uncrushable" set arround the 102.4 mark... if I'm above that mark, then I'm trying other peices of gear that have better block Value/spelldamage/stam/AC. So that I'm just above the mark. With block rating being on the sword, this frees up some choices for gear.

All other spell swords have +spell hit, or +spell crit. Spell hit is moderatly usefull. But spell crit in my eye's is wasted item points. Crit is for DPS classes that don't have to be consistant. Ya it's nice to see a judgment crit, but we can't depend on it.

I'll prolly have my mongoose enchanted Crystalforged Sword for my entire tanking career.

PS: if your wondering why mongoose over +40 spell damage, just think about what +120 agi means to us ;)
Nerfage

Postby Blutreich » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:49 pm

right now if i am over uncrushable raid buffed, and if not, i can but out my libram of BV. And when it comes to swapping gear to ride the line i can dump avoidance for stam, but dont' wana do that as of yet.
Blutreich

Postby mconeone » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:01 pm

It's not worth gearing uncrushable without your block rating libram. The alternatives are very poor in comparison. For example, you'd probably have to use the SH trinket, which while having a decent proc is nowhere near the effectiveness you'd get from a darkmoon stamina trinket.
mconeone

Postby PsiVen » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:53 am

Once you start getting past Kara quality stuff it's very hard to not be uncrushable without the Libram. I still don't use it unless I'm wearing pure Stam gear and even then it's like .6% away.

I've noticed a silly concept around here that block and avoidance are useless once you're uncrushable. That's only true if you have HS up all the time, and if you're either doing heroics or far enough in progression to be so much as clearing Lurker trash you have a reason to use a block set.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations