Remove Advertisements

Question about some tankadin talents in the expansion

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Question about some tankadin talents in the expansion

Postby Mongarwer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:19 am

I read around, but i still don't get it :(
To clarify, i know solo/5 man and 10 man/25 man are different fields, i'm interested in solo/5man groups when i'm the only pala. So:

Why 5 point BoK? Shall we not use BoS?
Is HoJ really coming from PVP to PVE world?
Why is Divine Guardian skipped in peoples builds?
Why Imp Devo? Shall we not use Retri?
Has Reckoning became so useless?
Last edited by Mongarwer on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mongarwer

Postby ulushnar » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:23 am

1. BoK used to be 11-points, but it was moved to the bottom tier so that Holy and Ret Paladins could pick it up. It was too powerful for a 1-point investment, so they made it 5 points.

2. What? HoJ's useful as an interrupt.

3. It's not a main tanking talent. The last thing you want to do when you're MT is bubble, or take a bunch of addtional damage.

4. Improved Devo's useful if you don't have a Tree druid and the 50% extra armor is not to be sneezed at.

5. Yes it has. It no longer procs seals iirc and even if it did, Seal of Vengeance is relatively attack-speed agnostic.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:27 am

Those questions have been answered multiple times all around the topics

Making it short:

- BoK because we got filler points, and in 10 men "progression" you want BoK rather than BoS and it's not guaranteed you'll have a retri for it. For 5 men you can tecnically skip it.
- HoJ (and his improved version) are mainly taken because of the interrupt effect added. Most boss important skills are on 30+ seconds CD, so having HoJ on 30 seconds is a reliable interrupt
- Divine Guardian has 0 use if you are tanking, unless you plan to use Divine Shield which will if you remind drop aggro.
- Retri or Devo is a personal choice, little added threat, or little added mitigation and 6% more heals. Also, you need to put points somewhere, it's either here, stoicism or kings.
- Reckoning has close to 0 use for tanking since SoV became the tanking seal and it's not PPM anymore.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Re: Question about some tankadin talents in the expansion

Postby majiben » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:28 am

Why 5 point BoK? Shall we not use BoS?
That's for raids for the most part. 5 mans and solo you will likely use Sanc

Is HoJ really coming from PVP to PVE world?
For interupting. But if you're doing raids you won't likely see a need for it.

Why is Divine Guardian skipped in peoples builds?
Off tanking move becuase you can't use it without losing aggro.

Why Imp Devo? Shall we not use Retri?
In raids ret aura is better used in the hands of a ret pally. Also against any hard hitting mob (whether in TBC or WotLK) you use dev aura. Also the +6% healing is nice for any raid without a resto druid while the additional armor is not the selling part.

Has Reckoning became so useless?
Pretty much. SoV is the seal of choice now and reckoning doesn't benifit it much.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Mongarwer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:48 am

First, i'm sorry for the noob questions :oops: Secondly, thank you for answering so fast :D

1. So BoK is in a way useless since you all said that it's not needed in 5 mans and 25 mans :) (there was a suggestion for using it in 10 mans so it's not completely, but it seems Devo is the better filler).

2. Wait, it shall be able to interrupt boss thingies? Nice :)

3. I don't know what was i thinking with this one :)

4. So for the area i have defined, go for retri + kings?

5. Shame.

Additional question:

1. Seals of the Pure: Will the dmg output make this talent worth taking?

And once again, thank you very much :)
Last edited by Mongarwer on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mongarwer

Postby majiben » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:52 am

Mongarwer wrote:1. So BoK is in a way useless since you all said that it's not needed in 5 mans and 25 mans :) (there was a suggestion for using it in 10 mans so it's not completely, but it seems Devo is the better filler).

Not useless per se but sanctuary's ability to drastically reduce down time makes it the blessing of choice for 5 mans and raid trash.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:56 am

Mongarwer wrote:Additional question:

1. Seals of the Pure: Will the dmg output make this talent worth taking?

I'm not sold on SotP. Seal and Judgement damage is very low at the minute, not sure if the buff is worth it.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Worldie » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:59 am

It's not like you got many choices of where to put additional points however. SotP is worth 5 points much more than pretty much anything else you can get after you took the "baseline" prot talents.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Aleph » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:04 am

I read through a few other posts that mentioned Seals of the Pure but didn't see this mentioned: is the damage bonus before or after modifiers? The original Imp SoR was worthless because it was only calculated from the base damage, is that changed now?
Aleph

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:02 am

Well, the 2.3 and 2.4 improved SoR was scaled. SotP probably is too.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby lythac » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:17 am

Majiben wrote:
Mongarwer wrote:1. So BoK is in a way useless since you all said that it's not needed in 5 mans and 25 mans :) (there was a suggestion for using it in 10 mans so it's not completely, but it seems Devo is the better filler).

Not useless per se but sanctuary's ability to drastically reduce down time makes it the blessing of choice for 5 mans and raid trash.

BoK is not useless for your 5 man party - Its what I would give squishy healers or caster dps. Fights are generally short and BoK would give more mana than BoW over the fight plus the added hp.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Kilthanas » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:45 pm

Worldie wrote:- Reckoning has close to 0 use for tanking since SoV became the tanking seal and it's not PPM anymore.

I'm not convinced its absolutely worthless. Our white dps has gone up considerably and therefore reckoning procs will equal more white dmg. I'm still thinking of putting 1 point in there as I do now just to have the chance for a proc and extra dmg and threat. That said I certainly wouldn't sacrifice a good mitigation talent to get it and probably won't get it til close to 80.
Kilthanas

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:47 pm

Kilthanas wrote:
Worldie wrote:- Reckoning has close to 0 use for tanking since SoV became the tanking seal and it's not PPM anymore.

I'm not convinced its absolutely worthless. Our white dps has gone up considerably and therefore reckoning procs will equal more white dmg. I'm still thinking of putting 1 point in there as I do now just to have the chance for a proc and extra dmg and threat. That said I certainly wouldn't sacrifice a good mitigation talent to get it and probably won't get it til close to 80.
Yet, there's more mileage from 1/5 benediction than x/5 reckoning(with x being a natural, non null number smaller than 6)
Think about it. White damage has no threat boost in comparison to holy damage.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Kilthanas » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:52 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:
Kilthanas wrote:

Yet, there's more mileage from 1/5 benediction than x/5 reckoning(with x being a natural, non null number smaller than 6)

True. But our white dmg is what, 15% of our threat now with our wimpy caster weapons? I haven't done the number crunching and am not sure where to look it up quickly but if its a higher pct% then 1 point in reckoning might be a decent threat boost considering its only one point. Anybody know what % of a decently geared lvl 80 paladin's threat is the white melee dmg?
Kilthanas

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:54 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:
Kilthanas wrote:

Actually white damage has a 143% threat boost in comparison to Holy damage's 272% threat boost.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Next

Return to WotLK