Handling Casters Mobs

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Handling Casters Mobs

Postby Galoheart » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:53 am

Hey Just recently got to 70 so still kinda working on things as gearing up goes for later raiding at some point.

I enjoy fighting physical mobs but always really hate fighting them Spell Casting Mobs in instance. Just looking for some feedback to find our how most of you all effectively handle a group of Caster Mobs in a pull or where most the Mobs in the pull are All Casters. Often casters not like to play meet and greet with your shield so some pull with AS and they like to stay at range. I often like to really burn these mobs down really fast if i can and sometime go OOM or just AoE consecrate the group to death with JOW & SOL.

However would like to know what's the best way you deal with pulling Casters Mobs in Group since eating spell damage is never fun? Whats most effective way?
http://ardentdefender.blogspot.com/ - My WoW Blog.
"One day my time will come. Until then I continue to prepare myself".
Galoheart

Postby Grigsby » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:03 am

I try to clear hallways and do Line of Sight pulls. Otherwise I try to use as much CC as I can to burn them down one at a time.

AOE Tank on Caster mobs is horrid. Being a Belf, and having my 2 second silence racial does help a little, but it's horribly situational.
Grigsby

Postby DJSticky » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:20 am

Well eating spells isn't fun at all but if your tanking the mob you will have to.

To me the challange is getting the mob to you if it normaly starts the pull casting spells. Best thing to do is just have your mages/shammys/hunters CS/ES/SS if the monster is effected by those inturrupts.
DJSticky

Postby Tiandelin » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:22 am

Corners are your friend.

I usually pull casters back around a corner, stop just out of sight of them, and let them run right into a consecrate as they round the corner. If the casters are grouped up close together (or there's just one), you can also just charge them if it's safe to do so.

One other tactic of note is to pop divine shield when you pull them. Casters won't cast at you while DS is up, so everything will just pile onto you in melee range. Be sure that your party knows what you're doing, and warn them not to get close or attack until your shield drops. Also, warn your healer not to cast any hots or buffs on you until after your shield drops. I can't tell you how many times I get a last-second earth shield or prayer of mending that spoils the pull. When everyone cooperates, though, it works wonderfully.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby jere » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:17 am

LoS is your friend as so many others have said.

I do, however, have one more tip. Some casters don't need to die first. There are many situations where you can tank the casters simply by popping AS on them and staying at range while you tank the adds in melee range first. As long as the caster is attacking you, everything is good. Usually AS is enough to top healing aggro until you get back to the casters, and if they do change targets for whatever reason, then AS them again, or run up, judge, and run away again.

A good example of where this works good is in steamvaults. The sirens are notorious for fearing you into other groups. If you pop them with AS and then let the melee mobs get to you, the sirens will stay at range popping you with spells and since they are at range, cannot fear anyone. It works out in other areas too, but that was the best example I could come up with.
jere

Postby Everlight » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:25 pm

If it's not practical to run around a corner (this does happen rarely), just run away from the mob after you pull, and as it's getting near the group, turn around and run back.

They are a nuisance, though.
Everlight

Postby Alienor » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:09 pm

LoS and kill them first. Make use of your stun and silence as well. I usually toss marks on casters so that my group can easily see and break casts.
Last edited by Alienor on Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alienor

Postby Galoheart » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:05 am

Some of what been said i have used before like pulling with AS and run away to get the caster to chase me to a safer zone , around a corner or pulling and breaking line of sight to have it chase me also if its a option. Often as a BE i like to drop the silence on them especially when they all close up that way they have to hit you when silenced which works well to drop consecration right then and then i can mana tap right after also.

I have used a CC option before in a group and that does work. The option to toss AS on Pull then run in and pop DS and have then run into me while immune i've never though of that one while no one else attacks that's genius as long as no one else attacks sounds fun. Will have to try that sometimes. As a Alch my usual other trick i've used is with resistance aura up to pop on of my usual stack of "Magic Resistance Potions" for +50 resist to all schools and i've found that helps allot to mitigate quite a bit of health from spell damage. Yeah casters are a nuisance though to pull especially the ones that end up fearing you also.

However appreciate the tips, just knowing what other tricks other people use or invent.
http://ardentdefender.blogspot.com/ - My WoW Blog.
"One day my time will come. Until then I continue to prepare myself".
Galoheart

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations