Looking for help with Shammy Threat on Nightbane

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Looking for help with Shammy Threat on Nightbane

Postby Loricata » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:16 am

Hey folks!

I MT'd Kara for the first time the other day and ran into an odd problem with Nightbane. When he landed, I just could not get enough threat on him to keep him from going to the shammy healer.

What I did:
Air phase, skeles are mostly beating on me. Skeles die with about 10-15 seconds until landing.
NB flies in, is just about to touch the ground.
Avenger's Shield (NB lands just before the spell goes off)
Exorcism
JoR
Dead shammy

Shammy did no heals in the 10-15 seconds before landing, had no totems out, used no pots. Even tried taking off water shield. Omen showed the shammy with a ton of threat on NB, the other healer (pally) had very little threat. Recount showed both of them doing about the same amount of healing.

After a few wipes, a DPS switched to their hunter and my spells plus MD would get NB on me. He would always start out charging the shammy but the two of us would get NB on me before he reached the shammy.

I had about 400 SD with the various buffs, and did not have any trouble keeping all the other bosses and the trash on me.

Armory in case it helps:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... roc&n=Texi

Do you guys have any advice for this? Could it be caused by the Shammy using chain heal during the air phase?
Loricata

Postby amh » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:46 am

Make sure you´re burning down the skeletons as soon as possible. There is extremely little raid-damage in that fight, so no-one really needs a heal for the last few seconds before he lands.

And yes, he is very aggro-sensitive during the transitions. It can be hard to judge when to stop healing / doing dps while he´s in the air. What you can do is mark one sensible player with a raid-icon, and have him stand in a fixed location away from where Nightbane lands. As long as everyone stacks on that player (except you), you will have a few seconds for that AS + exorcism to hit.

And remember: Just because you CAN throw your shield at him doesn´t necessarily mean you will actually gain aggro for it. All classes with proper range can dps him while in the air, as long as they cut dps/dots before he wipes aggro. If your shield + exo hits BEFORE the aggro-wipe.. :)
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Makaijin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:54 am

Nightbane does a threat reset at the end of every air phase, the reset happens just before he lands. If the shammy was still healing at that point he would generating threat. Make sure to ask him to stop sneaking in heals at that point until you gain aggro on NB. Another thing I found which helps is to pre place a consecrate at his feet a GCD beofre his "feet touches the ground" happens so you can a consecrate tick on him.
Makaijin

Postby Loricata » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:11 pm

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, these weren't the problems.

The skeles died rather quickly, leaving us with about 10 to 15 seconds of repositioning and waiting for NB to land.

The way NB seemed to be behaving would be if the threat reset happens when he takes off, and not when he lands. This would also explain why his breath attack during the air phase always hits the healers. They're the only ones building threat on him. Otherwise it would always be the tank getting hit.

The plan for next week is going to be to limit the CHs during air phase, and see if that helps, unless anyone out there has a better idea.
Loricata

Postby amh » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:09 am

Sounds like you run with two paladins, just have a bubble-rotation for the shammy?

And the threat-wipe IS just before he lands, so either you got a slight bug, or someone´s ninja-healing :)

If you still get problems, have him throw down a searing totem at your feet before the boss lands.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby ldeboer » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:25 am

You have a very stupid shamman who left his totems down as nightbane was landing they generate threat and he gets immediate agro.

Tell him to make sure he has removed all totems.

The safest way to cover nightbanes landing is make sure the hunter MD's to you as he starts to descends .. remember he can hit him in the air as he is coming in and at the point he touches down and agro resets you then get a nice threat lead.
ldeboer

Postby Loricata » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:21 pm

Thanks again for the responses, but you guys aren't quite reading what happened.

There were no heals for the 10-15 seconds between skeles dying and NB landing.

The shammy recalled all totems.

Thanks for the suggestions about searing totems and bubbles.
Loricata

Postby Bk992004 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:45 pm

Loricata wrote:Thanks again for the responses, but you guys aren't quite reading what happened.

If you're laying a consecrate where Nightbane lands and he's still leaving you for the Shaman, the shaman IS, in fact, doing something, no matter how many times you keep telling us he wasn't doing anything. Nightbane doesn't have a random aggro table like Shade.
Last edited by Bk992004 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bk992004

Postby baleogthefierce » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:12 pm

Could it be that he likes to pop mana pots right as Nightbane lands? I've seenalchemists with their 40% increased pot trinket pull aggro if the tank gets a bad chain of resists after an aggro reset.
baleogthefierce

Postby duruk » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:40 pm

This happened with a hunter a while back when i was in kara. No matter what i did, NB went for the hunter and then wtfpwnd healers. According to Omen i was way ahead, but he still went for the hunter then healers.

I asked a GM and he told me to do a soft reset. As far as I can figure out, he sometimes is bugged :/
Duruk, EU-Khadgar - Lvl85 Paladin Tank.
duruk

Postby Kelaan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:46 pm

Let the shaman die, continue tanking? ;) (I know, rough if there's only 1 other healer.)
Kelaan

Postby ldeboer » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:17 pm

Loricata wrote:Thanks again for the responses, but you guys aren't quite reading what happened.

As everyone has said HE IS DOING SOMETHING it doesn't randomly agro on him. The general rule is nobody should do anything as nightbane lands.

My suggestion is you turn on combat log and parse it if it happens again.

Don't you love stupid raid peeps who dont have a clue :-)

I had a warrior once who kept getting agro after pulls because he would pop bloodrage but he swore he was doing nothing.
ldeboer

Postby search66 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:12 am

Sounds like you did everything right... Maybe it's just bad luck or just a bug. We have a priest where that happened too all the time... Kinda like the worm pulls before Curator... We have a druid tree that pulls aggro EVERYTIME no matter what!

We usually end up just bubbling them when NB decends/mana dudes charge.

GL!
search66

Postby Voxe » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:33 am

search66 wrote:Kinda like the worm pulls before Curator... We have a druid tree that pulls aggro EVERYTIME no matter what!
GL!

That's mostly due to having his HoT's up when the big one teleports (and wipes aggro)
Voxe

Postby Dendrah » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:30 am

BoP can be your friend
Dendrah

Next

Return to Karazhan