Remove Advertisements

First Kara MT - lessons learned

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

First Kara MT - lessons learned

Postby search66 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:19 am

Thanks for everyones help, advice and support... Last night was my first MT'ing in Kara and here are the lessons learned...

- Keep Holy Shield up at ALL times
+ If you don't, Nightbane will fear you and crush you for 8k
+ If Nightbane hits you for 8k, chances are... you will die.

- Make sure warlock puts detect invisibility up
+ If you don't, you will pull multiple ghosties
+ If you pull multiple ghosties unmarked... you will die.

- Make sure you have at least one good melee DPS
+ If no... worms take 10 minutes to kill
+ If no... Spites green beams are your doom

Other than that, very decent run... We stopped after three hours... No wipes and I died twice (see above)... Luckily, we had a great OT to pick up my slack... We attempted Spite twice and failed (see above) and didn't attempt Prince (sleepy headed slackers)...

Thanks again everyone!
search66

Postby ~Healthis~ » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:36 am

in kara just get your mt and ot to rotate green/red, dont need mana anyway.
~Healthis~

Re: First Kara MT - lessons learned

Postby amh » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:39 am

search66 wrote:- Keep Holy Shield up at ALL times

Holy shield doesn´t negate the fear, and whenever you´re running around like a headless chicken, your back to his mouth, chances are you´ll take a crush. Can´t really avoid it unless you got a fear-ward rotation / tremor-totem stacked at the right times :(
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby search66 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:44 am

amh wrote:
search66 wrote:- Keep Holy Shield up at ALL times

Holy shield doesn´t negate the fear, and whenever you´re running around like a headless chicken, your back to his mouth, chances are you´ll take a crush. Can´t really avoid it unless you got a fear-ward rotation / tremor-totem stacked at the right times :(

True... but chances are if I had HS up *before* I got feared; I wouldn't have died... :P

And about the green/red beam... May have to try that; but was worried about my threat with no mana...The OT was a drood...
search66

Postby samsara » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:58 am

search66 wrote:Thanks for everyones help, advice and support... Last night was my first MT'ing in Kara and here are the lessons learned...

- Keep Holy Shield up at ALL times

- Make sure warlock puts detect invisibility up

- Make sure you have at least one good melee DPS

Other than that, very decent run... We stopped after three hours... No wipes and I died twice (see above)... Luckily, we had a great OT to pick up my slack... We attempted Spite twice and failed (see above) and didn't attempt Prince (sleepy headed slackers)...

Thanks again everyone!

Nice, think you will soon can do it with no offtank. The problem is that it will get less interessting or a challange after the patch/wotlk hits :(.

With you gear gets better you don't have to keep HS up all the time.
Same for ghosts .. at some of your and your groups equip you just pop your wings, frisbee and conscerate , so your dps can bomb them down. You get back enough mana over the heals you get.

Yeah :) I once was in the same f**** situation that it was a boring evening and we decided to go to kara ... only mages,warlocks and one elementar shaman as dps. We whiped twice at the worms as nobody could realy do serious dmg at them :)

For nightbane, try to get a shaman with the antifear totem in your group or/and the priests fearprotection. It's not about holy shield as most of the times you get feared the little dragon hits you in your back where you cannot block or parry anywhay (don't know if you can do this when feared anyway)
samsara

Postby Bk992004 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:46 am

search66 wrote:- Make sure warlock puts detect invisibility up

Sense undead.... You might not see them, but you'll know they're there to wait for them to show up.

search66 wrote:- Make sure you have at least one good melee DPS

MT and OT switch green and red beams. Healers stay out of any beams and DPS trades blue beams. You don't need mana to hold aggro when you have the red beam, so take green when you're not in red.
Bk992004

Postby search66 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:50 am

Points well taken and duly noted.
search66

Postby Everum » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:04 pm

What we used to do was drop our resto shaman in the green beam, our best dps'er in the blue beam and go crazy. Our shaman was able to easily keep our lock/mage up through the whole blue phase because of the mad healing he received from green beam.

Since I never filled any healing roles in raids, I cannot say how risky this is. What I do know is that our caster never died during the beam phase (afaik). Might be worth it.

LOS pull them, tell your AoE casters to keep an healthy distance so they don't get bolted, drop Consecration, wtfpwnbbq them. Or... mark on the fly. Hotkey skull and cross at the very least to an accessible key. Pull, drop a skull on something, at 50% skullhealth, tab to next mob, drop X. When X gets to 50% hp, tab for next mob, drop skull again. That's all I needed.

Edit: Just a friendly warning. Back then before I even entered Kara, I was a Heroic freak and managed to get a very tight knit group of friends who I ran with. So badges were not a real problem. I was pretty much overgeared when I started Kara iirc. My advice about the darn ghosts may or may not work for you. Chances could be you go SPLAT.
Everum

Postby Bk992004 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:44 pm

Everum wrote:What we used to do was drop our resto shaman in the green beam, our best dps'er in the blue beam and go crazy. Our shaman was able to easily keep our lock/mage up through the whole blue phase because of the mad healing he received from green beam.

Since I never filled any healing roles in raids, I cannot say how risky this is. What I do know is that our caster never died during the beam phase (afaik). Might be worth it.

The green beam eats your mana after Xnumber of stacks (not sure how many), so that works only if your DPS is high enough that you can get him out of the phase fast (assuming phases are based on health %, not time... that part I don't remember off-hand). If time based, you'll be out of mana in ~30sec.

But that's why I go in there when it's our warriors turn in red beam... no risk to healers losing mana and since I'll take the red beam back on the next round I don't need my mana for threat generation.
Bk992004

Postby Mishdorf » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:11 pm

~Healthis~ wrote:in kara just get your mt and ot to rotate green/red, dont need mana anyway.

Oh hai!

You wouldn't happen to be from Thaurissan would you?

"mana efficiency is for people who aren't tanking enough mobs" - Knaughty
Mishdorf

Postby Dendrah » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:45 am

On Spite the red beam always has aggro. The only momnets he needs real tanking is when he comes out of his dream state and before the beams appear. Your rage using OT can easily cover those. Your avoidance and armor are what are needed to survive in the red beam, not your mana.

On nightbane your holyshield won't safe you from a crush when you are feared. Ask your priests to keep up fearward and/or your shaman to drop tremor totem.
You can also do it the risky way and buble out of it. Make sure you are fast enough so he won't run for a healer.

Those wyrms don't hit to hard. I normally don't really have them tanked and just DPS'ed down. A quick change into healing gear can make the difference between a rogue tanking or a protection warrior tanking. But some sort of physical dmg is needed indeed.
Dendrah

Postby Palytanker » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:00 am

search66 wrote:- Make sure warlock puts detect invisibility up

If you use a raid mod that lists your MT and OT, this is cake without marking. Paly pull and consecrate, second tank pulls them off one at a time and dps targets through the second tank via assist or MT tank windows. Works like a charm, no miscommunication and no healer aggro from untanked mobs.
Palytanker

Return to Karazhan