Remove Advertisements

Prince Problems (?)

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Prince Problems (?)

Postby Acedonte » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:22 am

I'm hoping I can get some help here. First time poster.

My armory:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Acedonte

My story:
I tanked my first successful Prince fight a couple weeks ago. Went smooth as hell, despite having to move several times. I was proud, I bragged, I was happy :D .

Next week, I go in. We get to prince, and all I change personally is I switch from the HP Flask to Elixir of Fort and Adept's Elixer. It didn't go well. I go effectively one-shotted a couple times, and after 4 failed attempts that never got past 45%, we went and one-shotted Illhoof instead (any other Paladins find they make this fight significantly smoother?).

So, I'm sitting there trying to figure out what was different, and here's all there was from what I could tell:
1. I had 3 shamans healing me the first time, 3 priests the second time. All good healers. Maaaaaybe the reason? Doubt it.
2. I had a Legacy of the Mountain King first time, none the second.
3. Here's what I think it really was: there was a dps warrior there the first time, none the second (had a Druid OTing).

I had no thunderclap. I was taking a lot more damage, and I could not tank the boss. What gear do I need to get to do this without having a pocket warrior every time I enter the instance? I'm sitting on 12.3k health unbuffed, over uncrushable (according to TPCalc), and 14k armor.

I know I need a few upgrades: T4 Shoulders (if my guild ever changes its schedule. Gruul is on the one night I can never make), Belt from Heroic BM or Moroes (probably the Moroes one). Neck and Gloves off Maiden. Furies deck trinket (or maybe the Pocketwatch?). Is this list of upgrades enough to get Prince?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Acedonte

Postby jere » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:42 am

From your armory, I am getting 100.92%, which makes you crushable, though at a very small percentage. Honestly, on the surface it sounds like the difference was how much armor you had. LotMK is something like 8000 AC when it procs, which is a hefty boost.

What are you doing for phase 2?

I would suggest for phase 2:

1. SoL/JoL (use HS, consecrate, and exorcism for threat) or swap to an avoidance weapon
2. Pop your trinkets everytime they are up
3. Chug Iron Shield pots every time they are up
4. Stamina food buffs

That will help ease the burden
jere

Postby Acedonte » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:29 pm

Ah, I accidentally logged out with my Continuum Blade, as opposed to my Crystalforged Sword, which I hope I was using (TP calc says I'm uncrushable with CB actually... maybe something's weird with it), which adds about 1.5% avoidance, getting me that 102.4%.

During phase 2... I spammed HS, popped my FotC, and drank a Heroism Pot I think once or twice (didn't have any Stoneshield Pots on me). I had a 20 stam food buff... in fact, I think I was only missing Commanding Shout, and maybe Blood Pact as far as health buffs (albeit those are huge, about 2k combined or so).

Should I just chaulk this up to the no LotMK and lacking Thunderclap just amplifying that? Or should I maybe start stacking up more straight avoidance? Like grabbing the Pocketwatch instead of a stam trinket?

Also, an aside... T4 gloves worth it if a. Maiden's Gauntlets aren't dropping, and b. would give me the 2 piece set bonus? Could be a long time before I get my T4 shoulders, and the threat bonus seems nice.
Stormwind delenda est.

Acedonte

Postby Arianne » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:51 pm

When you're first doing prince it's important to keep all the buffs/debuffs up that you can. Scorpid sting, thunderclap, curse of weakness, demo shout/roar all can make a big difference in phase 2. If you don't have a warrior then make sure the other people that have debuffs are doing them as they may not be used to doing so.

Other than that it's about your healers. They need to be dumping mana in phase 2. Phase 1 is easy and therefore they'll probably get used to you not taking much damage, phase 2 is critically important that they step up the healing to max rank constant casts making sure that they're not all landing a heal at the exact same second. They can drop the healing down again in phase 3, so they shouldn't worry about losing so much mana at that point if your dps is fast enough. Make sure you're using exorcism for additional threat.
Arianne

Postby Demiblade » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:17 am

talented thunderclap = 20% mitigation

Get yourself a pocket MS warrior with improved thunderclap if you wish to get far in raid MTing on your paladin.
Demiblade

Postby Ralthos » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:18 am

Thunderclap is huge here, but not having the LotMK took a huge hit out of your mitigation. Did your raid just not get one at all? Usually you get at least one from the ring of books before Netherspite's trash (the one you basically are forced to have warlocks summon people up from).

There are drops that you're obviously waiting on that will help as well, but it looks largely like a consumable and Thunderclap issue. Make sure to pick up Ironshield pots before you go after him again. They're HUGE in P2.
Ralthos

Postby Acedonte » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:54 am

Thanks for replies. Yeah, we got a few of the other two books, but no LotMK. And will do on the stoneshield pots. Hopefully this week will go better. I think it was just a bad night, bad raid composition, bad luck in general.

As for the pocket MS warrior, the majority of my guild's warriors tend to respec between arms and prot twice a week or more it seems like, so it's a luck of the draw whether I get a DPS warrior OT, a Druid OT, or am tossed into OT when one of the better geared Prot warriors comes in.

Btw, I look forward to posting more on these forums. Seems like a nice community so far.
Stormwind delenda est.

Acedonte

Postby Whitewolf » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:05 am

Also, an aside... T4 gloves worth it if a. Maiden's Gauntlets aren't dropping, and b. would give me the 2 piece set bonus? Could be a long time before I get my T4 shoulders, and the threat bonus seems nice.

If you're that close on avoidance, i'd just stick with the Felsteel Gloves until your Maiden Gauntlets drop, and toss your 12 stams, and an 8stam patch on them. T4 gloves are amazing for threat gen, and the 2set bonus is nice - but Felsteel will, if I can remember correctly, give you more avoidance, and stam.

And, if you're only at 102.4% avoidance WITH Crystalforged Sword, then dont' unequip it to toss on CB. That little bit of a loss of avoidance could get you crushed.
Whitewolf

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations