Remove Advertisements

Heroics Problems

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Heroics Problems

Postby Thirdfain » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:18 am

So, I've been trying to build up my first character into a sweet tank. I've done all the regular instances without much trouble; now I'm getting interested in running heroics. However, I've had problems- I tried BF, and got splattered pretty quickly by just the first few mobs. Ugh. I ran Sethekk, and did OK, but we couldn't clear Aku (or whatever his name is, the raven)- I would finally cash in when the birdy was at around 5-10% hps left.

I've done my best to follow gearing guides; I'm uncrittable in heroics- however, I feel like I am just not there yet. People say stamina and AC are important, but I though 11k hps and armour would be enough! So, here's my armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Ekatrine

Should I stop QQing and start pew-pewing, or do I need to gear in some areas?
Thirdfain

Postby econ21 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:29 am

Looking at your gear, you have got some nice blue tanking items that are good for uncrushability etc. But I suspect you do need more armour/health.

One option is to get a few choice PvP items: the S2 shield and S2 shoulders. (with 3.0 imminent, the ret shoulders are better)

You could also look into some craftables. Bracers of the green fortress and belt of the protecter are nice. Boots if you are a BS.

I would chuck in a bunch of 12 or 15 sta gems over what you have.

If you get the option, off tanking Kara can be an amazing fast way to upgear (via drops and badges).

Otherwise, it's a slow process of upgrading via running heroics (both drops but more especially badges). Look at the dailies, focus on the easier ones. Read a lot about tactics. Make sure you group with a good healer if possible - heroics are a gear check for healers even more than for tanks, IMO - and ideally with dps that have CC (mages, rogues etc).
econ21

Postby Thirdfain » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:30 am

What kind of goals should I set in terms of numbers? ie, 12k hp unbuffed, 13k armour...
Thirdfain

Postby econ21 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:01 am

If you can get to the last boss of Sethekk, then you are ready for the easier heroics IMO. Heroic BF is actually not that easy - I have 15k unbuffed and still approach it with some care (CC, corner pull, stun etc). Indeed, until you know a heroic very well (or are with a high tier raiding party), I think that is probably true of all of them.

I am not sure there are hard and fast numbers to aim for. With badges, your gear will naturally progress a lot until you get to about 15k HP unbuffed and then you will need to raid to go further.
econ21

Postby Thirdfain » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:03 am

OK, thank you very much! I'll run off and have some happy hunting :)
Thirdfain

Postby Drugrunner » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:07 pm

try the easier heroics 1st as in UB SP Ramps(before 1st boss is hardest imo) ramps also drops a epic tank belt with str so be good after patch.
Drugrunner

Postby Zoltar » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:29 pm

BF and Seeketh are much harder than SP/UB. SP is incredibly easy unless your group has nfi. I have a couple of kara pieces, some craftables, PvP shoulders and a badge chest (15k armor/14.5k HP) so I am not in T5/T6 or anything like that and I run through H-SP in about 40 mins. I would suggest running it a few times not only to build your own confidence, but also to build the confidence of your group in you.
Ramparts is easy enough but the mobs that Mortal strike in there can hurt so make sure you have a good healer or use some CC.
Zoltar

Postby Barathorn » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:46 am

Thirdfain wrote:What kind of goals should I set in terms of numbers? ie, 12k hp unbuffed, 13k armour...

14k buffed health
14k buffed armour
485 defense
45% avoidance [dodge/parry/miss combined]

Hope that helps.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Thirdfain » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:40 am

Barathorn wrote:
Thirdfain wrote:What kind of goals should I set in terms of numbers? ie, 12k hp unbuffed, 13k armour...

14k buffed health
14k buffed armour
485 defense
45% avoidance [dodge/parry/miss combined]

Hope that helps.

Barathorn

I ran Heroic Shat last night with >12k health (lost about a K health in the patch due to moving items around to keep uncrittable), unbuffed- I don't have Kings any more and no one in the party offered HP buffs. We totally destroyed them; we wound up not even marking targets. The only tough pulls were the double pulls of guards towards the end of the instnance; you know, the ones in the hall with all the stealthed rogues? First time I pulled them, they gibbed me very fast. However, next time I simply popped Pally Shield Wall for the first pair and trinkets for the second; it was cake. I *do* have like 15k armour and around 60%+ mitigation, however.

MAybe in other, less pally-friendly instances 14k hp is necessary, but it certainly wasn't at all difficult- we cleared in less than an hour.
Thirdfain

Postby bomjac » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:11 am

Your stat requirements are probably way OTT. 14k buffed is enough stamina to MT the whole of Kara pre patch. You may have some close calls, but it is more than enough.

Heroics - I would say the only one to really trouble you should be BM and MgT, but both sould be doable with the correct group. As for 3.02 - I really cant say till I get home Friday Evening.

The old guidelines for heroics were along the lines of 10.5k unbuffed (easy) 11.5k unbuffed (hard) and something like 12.5k unbuffed to start Kara. Those are what I followed and never really had too many problems in any except BM.
bomjac

Postby Zoltar » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:29 pm

BM seems very easy now with the 3.0.2 changes. Ran it last night with 2 arcane mages and a rogue that outgear me. Never lost threat once while tanking all trash with the rift lords and finished every fight on over 80% mana. We never even needed to drop a beacon and at the end Medhiv's shield was still at 100%.

Another grp from my guild cleared it without a healer. They had 2 ret pallies healing via Divine Storm!!!
Zoltar

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics