Remove Advertisements

Recommend (PC only) Games!

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Postby Harlequina » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:26 am

A man chooses... A slave obeys.
Harlequina

Postby Balanor » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:12 am

And, if you can wait another 12 days, Fallout 3. Its supposed to be superb. Lots of the same action/dialog driven storyline of FO 1&2 but in a new first person perspective.
Balanor

Postby Omatre » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:32 am

If you like long, fairly open-ended RPGs, I'd try Sacred if you're able to find a copy.

Sacred was very good, and Sacred 2 just got released. There's a demo floating out there somewhere's. Sacred was very deep, its multiplayer was wonky as hell imo, but the story was massive, I never did finish it.
Omatre

Postby guillex » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:53 pm

Mass Effect freezes on load.

When I kill the process, it freezes my comp.

I waited 8 days through capped seeders to NOT be able to play? wtf!
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby guillex » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:31 am

SHAMELESS, PISSED RIGHT THE FUCK OFF BUMP.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Harlequina » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:54 am

Guillex wrote:SHAMELESS, PISSED RIGHT THE FUCK OFF BUMP.

/soothe
Harlequina

Postby Everum » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:25 am

Guillex wrote:Mass Effect freezes on load.

I had that same problem when I first bought my game. Update your gfx drivers. ME is infamous for freezes if you aren't using new drivers.

Edit: And do it right. Use Driver Cleaner or something to totally remove your old drivers first. I didn't back then and it made me QQ. QQQ
Everum

Postby guillex » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:44 am

Everum wrote:
Guillex wrote:Mass Effect freezes on load.

I had that same problem when I first bought my game. Update your gfx drivers. ME is infamous for freezes if you aren't using new drivers.

Edit: And do it right. Use Driver Cleaner or something to totally remove your old drivers first. I didn't back then and it made me QQ. QQQ

My ... video cards ... are less than a year old ... I'll try. But meh.

edit: Welp, looks like I'm a few releases behind. Thanks for that reminder. lol

edited edit:

Holy crap. That was like, insta-solve. Wewt! Wonder if my SLI system'll make it any more pretty :P

Thanks a CRAP-TON Everum. I work with drivers every day, but can't seem to get my head outta my ass for my own rig.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby guillex » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:23 am

post edited edit in another post:

So I get to the "Press Any Key" screen ... and once I do, it keeps playing the music, but the screen goes black. This a config thing?
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby DarkFerret » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:40 am

Omatre wrote:
If you like long, fairly open-ended RPGs, I'd try Sacred if you're able to find a copy.

Sacred was very good, and Sacred 2 just got released. There's a demo floating out there somewhere's. Sacred was very deep, its multiplayer was wonky as hell imo, but the story was massive, I never did finish it.

Sacred 2 hits shelves the same time WotLK does -.-

With the lack of almost anything going on in WoW right now, I've been rather tempted to run something up to Niobium in hardcore mode. I'm not too sure how many gamers nowadays would like HC mode, though. You die, that's it. No second chance. Go reroll and start over.
I can't talk on Vent because my master won't remove the ball-gag until it's time for my spanking.
DarkFerret

Postby Harlequina » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:07 am

DarkFerret wrote:
Omatre wrote:

With the lack of almost anything going on in WoW right now, I've been rather tempted to run something up to Niobium in hardcore mode. I'm not too sure how many gamers nowadays would like HC mode, though. You die, that's it. No second chance. Go reroll and start over.

Sacred has hardcore mode? Is it that much like Diablo 2? You know I do have Sacred: Gold Edition on the shelf right now... Nicely packaged and all... But never got into it I think.

Tell me more!
Harlequina

Postby DarkFerret » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:14 pm

Harlequina wrote:
DarkFerret wrote:
Omatre wrote:

Sacred has hardcore mode? Is it that much like Diablo 2? You know I do have Sacred: Gold Edition on the shelf right now... Nicely packaged and all... But never got into it I think.

Tell me more!

Well, you said you have Gold already, so that's good. Gold is the original game plus the expansion pack (Underworld). You'd have access to every area and all eight characters. Only thing you would want/need to do after installing would be to patch it.

Because of the time it was released, I never got into D2 that much, so I'm not sure how similar the modes are. The overall gameplay is very similar. Point and click hack'n'slash, for the most part. Sacred has two gameplay modes (single and multi) with five difficulty settings, plus one final difficulty setting that's independent of the others. The five normal difficulties are Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Niobium, each representing a block of character level progression. The higher the difficulty, the more health mobs have, the harder they hit, the weaker you hit, and the smaller an effect things like potions have. Bronze and Silver are available at the start, with each additional one requiring you to complete the game on the previous (i.e. to play in Gold, you must finish the game in Silver).

The final, independent difficulty mode is whether or not the game is in 'hardcore' mode (which, with Underworld, was unfortunately made into an option for only multiplayer modes). Hardcore mode is basically a one-shot deal. When you die, regardless of how far you've gotten, it's over. There is no restoring to last save or anything, that character is done. You're starting a new character from level 1. If you were playing multi player with others, and you had a friend or two with you, they could pick up your stuff and give it back to your new character. In normal gameplay, you might select your abilities based on maxing your damage potential. In hardcore, you'd want to consider investing in the survival abilities, and probably play in a much more cautious manner.
I can't talk on Vent because my master won't remove the ball-gag until it's time for my spanking.
DarkFerret

Postby Everum » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:14 pm

Guillex wrote:post edited edit in another post:

So I get to the "Press Any Key" screen ... and once I do, it keeps playing the music, but the screen goes black. This a config thing?

I don't think so Guillex. I never had that issue crop up. So you see "Press Any Key", do so and the earth (in the background) moves a bit, screen fades to black and then nothing? To me this still sounds like gfx issues.

A quick search on the official forums on 'black screen' gave me this:

I have had the same problem, and was able to get the game up and running by updating to the latest sound and video drivers.

config
---

Intel P4 3.0 GHz (single core)
3 GB RAM
Creative Audigy 2 ZS
NVIDIA 8600 GT
22 inch wide screen display

Initial Problem
---

received a black screen upon attempting to load MEPC. The hour glass will display for about a min or so, then disappear. Only a black screen remains. To resolve I had to manually shut down PC using the power button and turn it back on.

steps used to resolve issue
---

i lowered the graphic to 4:3 and disabled the sound card.

ISSUE PERSISTS

i then updated to the latest drivers on my sound card and video card.

ISSUE RESOLVED - i was able to play the game through the initial intro and i also played through a couple of the combat scenarios. all dialogue and combat went well.

Once I got the game up and running, I enabled hardware sound and set my resolution to 16:9.

GAME CONTINUED TO RUN - i did notice a little bit of a load time during the initial load of the save (about 2 min or so), but the game ran fine.

Disabled Virus - reboot - still there.

Installed 8.6 ATI drivers - reboot - still there.

Rebooted to blow dust out of my machine.

Now it works. ( so of course it was the dust )

However, I froze up within 2 minutes with the 8.6 drivers.

I have reverted back to 8.5 and am playing again.

Seems like my previous advice. Drivers (Sound and perhaps Direct X?) :P

I really hope this helps you. Would be a shame if you can't experience what I have experienced with ME.

Edit: Just really hit me that you have a SLI rig. If updating the sound drivers doesn't work, see if you could turn off the second gfx card and see how that turns out? This probably isn't the problem, but hell, never know.
Everum

Postby Mitsumi » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:46 am

Try Portal i heard there will be cake at the end
Mitsumi

Postby roosevelt » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:45 pm

Guillex wrote:I waited 8 days through capped seeders to NOT be able to play? wtf!

I bought the game and it works fine on my crap system. Maybe you should support companies that make outstanding games instead of justifying the extreme anti-piracy measures they go to that hassle paying customers. You could probably even get it working with tech support of the legit version has the same issue.
roosevelt

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum