Tanking Classes Compilation for WotLK - Last update 17 OCT

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Draenath » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:40 pm

Just a few things - been looking at many of this with my other guild tanks and some of the Druid / Death Knight infomation can be updated

Druid
Most well geared druids will see an overall drop in crit due to the change detailed in the second paragraph, reducing our crit from agility from it's current 25:1 to a whopping 40:1
the new base 5% crit was implemented to make up some of that lost ground, but shouldn't be enough to make up the full difference in well geared druids.
A very undergeared druid will likely see an overall crit increase however.

Death Knight
Deathgrip - no longer has a runis cost
Frost presence - has been buffed to 45% threat generation
Death and Decay - been nerfed to 52 damage/second
Dark Command - 8 sec cooldown, not shared with death and decay
Draenath

Postby Sartor » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:50 am

Draenath wrote:Just a few things - been looking at many of this with my other guild tanks and some of the Druid / Death Knight infomation can be updated

Druid
Most well geared druids will see an overall drop in crit due to the change detailed in the second paragraph, reducing our crit from agility from it's current 25:1 to a whopping 40:1
the new base 5% crit was implemented to make up some of that lost ground, but shouldn't be enough to make up the full difference in well geared druids.
A very undergeared druid will likely see an overall crit increase however.

Death Knight
Deathgrip - no longer has a runis cost
Frost presence - has been buffed to 45% threat generation
Death and Decay - been nerfed to 52 damage/second
Dark Command - 8 sec cooldown, not shared with death and decay

Thanks... Updated! :)
Sartor

Postby Draenath » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:08 pm

ve some more mate - the tanks in my guild were very impressed, but had some more changes

Other notable tanking talents:

DeathKnight
Vampiric Blood: Increases health generated through spells and effects by 50% for 20 seconds. Not much on its own, but macroed with Blood Tap it's a potential 15-30% HP restore "Oh shit" button (depending on how many points in improved blood tap you have)

Blade Barrier: +10% parry when you have no runes active. Not great since you need to use up all your runes, but still handy

Acclimation: When hit by a spell, you have 30% chance to increase your resistance to that magic school for 18sec. Stacks 3 times

Magic Suppression: You take 5% less damage from spells, and your AMS absorbs 100% of spell damage (rather than 75%)

Toughness: +15% armor bonus from items & reduces duration of movement slowing effects by 30%

Anticipation: +5% dodge

Lichborne: Draw upon unholy energy to become undead for 15 sec. While undead, you are immune to Charm, Fear and Sleep effects, and your horrifying visage causes melee attacks to have an additional 25% chance to miss you.
Rune Strike: 15rp, only useable after a dodge or parry, beefs up your next swing.
It's basically overpower/revenge for DKs. I'll try find the specific details.

Warrior
Block Value changed - you get 1 point of block value for 2 points of str, block value affects shield slam and amount blocked.

Thunder Clap was boosted and then nerfed, but still about double of it's current damage (according to GC apparently the threat is slightly less than consecrete because it comes with a debuff)

Talent - Shockwave does damage based on 75% (up from 50%) ap but no additional threat

Revenge has been doubled in damage but has its additional threat removed

Bloodbath has been removed i think (i cant find any reference to it on the beta sites).
Shield break has been removed too

Armored to the Teeth has been changed to AP instead of str, so you will no longer get block value from it. (20k armour = 333 ap)

there is a late note that Berserker Rage will be usable in any stance, basically break fear in any state and increase rage gen (not confirmed by GC and not in latest PTR)

Talent - Warbringer: Can charge in any stance (currently is only usable in battle stance - it generates threat and stuns target) and removes immobilising effects. (suggested as a pvp talent by some, but I disagree, it has limited use with raid bosses in BC (very useful for raid trash though), but I think it will be more relevant in Lich King)
Draenath

Postby Sartor » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:21 am

Draenath wrote:ve some more mate - the tanks in my guild were very impressed, but had some more changes

Other notable tanking talents:

DeathKnight
Vampiric Blood: Increases health generated through spells and effects by 50% for 20 seconds. Not much on its own, but macroed with Blood Tap it's a potential 15-30% HP restore "Oh shit" button (depending on how many points in improved blood tap you have)

Blade Barrier: +10% parry when you have no runes active. Not great since you need to use up all your runes, but still handy

Acclimation: When hit by a spell, you have 30% chance to increase your resistance to that magic school for 18sec. Stacks 3 times

Magic Suppression: You take 5% less damage from spells, and your AMS absorbs 100% of spell damage (rather than 75%)

Toughness: +15% armor bonus from items & reduces duration of movement slowing effects by 30%

Anticipation: +5% dodge

Lichborne: Draw upon unholy energy to become undead for 15 sec. While undead, you are immune to Charm, Fear and Sleep effects, and your horrifying visage causes melee attacks to have an additional 25% chance to miss you.
Rune Strike: 15rp, only useable after a dodge or parry, beefs up your next swing.
It's basically overpower/revenge for DKs. I'll try find the specific details.

Warrior
Block Value changed - you get 1 point of block value for 2 points of str, block value affects shield slam and amount blocked.

Thunder Clap was boosted and then nerfed, but still about double of it's current damage (according to GC apparently the threat is slightly less than consecrete because it comes with a debuff)

Talent - Shockwave does damage based on 75% (up from 50%) ap but no additional threat

Revenge has been doubled in damage but has its additional threat removed

Bloodbath has been removed i think (i cant find any reference to it on the beta sites).
Shield break has been removed too

Armored to the Teeth has been changed to AP instead of str, so you will no longer get block value from it. (20k armour = 333 ap)

there is a late note that Berserker Rage will be usable in any stance, basically break fear in any state and increase rage gen (not confirmed by GC and not in latest PTR)

Talent - Warbringer: Can charge in any stance (currently is only usable in battle stance - it generates threat and stuns target) and removes immobilising effects. (suggested as a pvp talent by some, but I disagree, it has limited use with raid bosses in BC (very useful for raid trash though), but I think it will be more relevant in Lich King)

I will add the stuff for the DK section.

As for the warrior... uh, well I will made the corrections for him, but regarding the str -> block ration change is global (for both paladins and warriors). I have added this into the first post. As for the missing skills - check again here.

I am avoiding to mention too much precise numbers so this thread to be reusable as a template. :)
Sartor

If you didn't notice..

Postby avalya » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:21 am

Tanking talents

ImageHammer of the Righteous - 51 pt Prot talent. Hits the current target and 2 additional targets for 4 times your main hand damage per second as Holy damage. 6 sec CD, very low mana cost. Usable while silinced, and is based on weapon DPS and character sheet AP This will allow paladins to use 1H DPS weapons (WTB Muramasa.. hope rogues won't rape me :P).

Touched by the Light - Increase your spell power by an amount equal to 10%/20%/30% of your stamina and increases the amount healed by your critical heals by 10%/20%/30%. This allows the paladin to wear real gear and not steal warlock and mage swords... now we steal rogue swords :twisted:

- Just to correct here - Hammer of the Righteous will deal 4 times of your main hand weapon Damage Per Second - note that this will treat your weapon speed while using this skill 4 seconds - if you understand what I'm saying - basically it takes you total main hand DPS times 4 - so let's say you got 250 DPS on your character sheet - then this will deal 250 x 3 = 1000 Holy damage on up to 3 targets.

- So what I'm saying is that - leave the rogue swords for the rogues and we'll take the real Tanking weapons itemized for warriors and stick with that so our Seal of Righteousness will deal quite a chunk of damage and even more procs from the Seal of Vengeance/Corruption.[/b]
avalya

Location: In front of you - tanking the boss. Don't you see me?

Postby Draenath » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:19 am

ok, all taunts now 20yd range (lol)

druid's AoE mitigation nerfed... now 10/20/30% damange reduction vs AoE effects with 3 points in Predatory Instincts, but restricted to cat form only.
loss of 15% avoidance (live) or 15% DR (previous Beta builds)
seems blizzard are making AoE a big enough issue for this to matter. (probably to do with dragons breath)

Dire Bear form's AC bonus reduced slightly (from 400 to 370% bonus AC) because we were stacking up with crazy huge AC again in Naxx.

Druids wanted this added
Last edited by Draenath on Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draenath

Postby Dantriges » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:34 am

Our taunt is now 29 yards as well?
Dantriges

Postby avalya » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:21 pm

Dantriges wrote:Our taunt is now 29 yards as well?

- The druid and warrior's taunts are 20 yards range, he must've wrote wrong, but anyhow - our taunt is still the same range - 40 yards, on friendly units.
avalya

Location: In front of you - tanking the boss. Don't you see me?

Postby Mica » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:07 pm

sacred shields mana cost needs to be updated, it's still listed as 35 mana.
Mica

Postby Sheherezade » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:30 pm

Blade Barrier (+10% parry) procs when you have no active blood runes nowdays, and Frost Presence is 60% not 65%.
Dark Command is changed to 20 yards along with the other classes taunts.

Frost Strike can't be parried, blocked or dodged anymore, and Rune Strike changed to:
Rune Strike - Runic Power cost lowered to 10, and damage increased, now only useable after an attack is dodged or parried. Can't be dodged, blocked or parried. (Damage Now - 200% weapon damage plus [200.0 * AP * 10.0 / 10000.0].) (Old 65% weapon damage, and only usable after a critical hit with an ability that causes a disease)

Making it a really nice tanking talent! :)
Brainssss... ( <3 Murata Renge!)
Sheherezade

Postby trellian » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:37 am

avalya wrote:our taunt is still the same range - 40 yards, on friendly units.

This is not true, it will now work on enemy units aswell. Basically doing the same as the RD macro.
trellian

Postby Solonite » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:46 am

Thank you for the awesome thread, I wasn't sure what type of weapon to go for 3.0 but after reading this thread it has made a lot more clear that I can steal rogue weapons (LOL) and ofc have a spell power weapon ready for 4+ mobs.
Solonite

Postby Sheherezade » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:11 pm

aww, Deathknights get no pretty icons? :(
Brainssss... ( <3 Murata Renge!)
Sheherezade

Postby Krycheck » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:23 am

Self delete. Will keep reading.
To protect and serve.

Krycheck

Postby towelliee » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:37 pm

So Concecrate does not scale with anything but Spell Power correct?

So only abilities that scale with SP are concecrate and Holy Shield?
towelliee

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK