Recommend (PC only) Games!

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Recommend (PC only) Games!

Postby Harlequina » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:50 am

I'm bored to death. It doesn't sound sensible (for me) to play WAR when WotLK is here in a month or so, so that's out of the question... No way I'm gonna pay for two MMO's. Besides, WAR doesn't run very well right now (not only because of my comp though.)

And WoW, right now, is... Boring. Go figure.

So I've been trying to find something else to play. I DO want to play some game but I haven't been able to find something good right now other than flash games and whatever.

But there's so many GOOD games I've already played or atleast tried... Really. Other than the "really really old" games, and the newest games that my comp can't handle.

It comes down to taste of course, but I like most types of games. Mostly RPG and RTS games though.

SO, please, name one or two games that you think are VERY memorable. You get those kinds of games sometimes. Games you can't forget, that just are That good.

It would help me... Because that's the kind of game(s) I'm looking for, that I HAVEN'T tried yet at all.
Last edited by Harlequina on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Harlequina

Postby anthony » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:11 am

i dont know any PC games but if you have any other consoles it depends what consoles you have at your disposal but i can give a guide to the ones ive played/own:

xbox:
fable (rpg)
KOTOR 2 (didnt play 1) (star wars rpg)
doom 3
halo 2

PS2:
kingdom hearts and kingdom hearts 2 (relaxed rpg)
final fantasy
resident evil
max payne (matrixy shooter)

xbox 360:
halo 3
mass effect (space rpg)
jericho (team based horror, i got it yesterday and its great... cant play it anymore though as my 360 just broke today)

hope this sort of helps
Chat-killer at your service.
anthony

Postby Harlequina » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:14 am

My bad :p don't have any consoles whatsoever... Other than the old nintendo consoles.

Thanks anyways! Changed thread name.
Harlequina

Postby Voxe » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:14 am

I've bought the Orange box lately and enjoyed myself massively.

Also bought Spore, amazingly good
Voxe

Postby Harlequina » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:16 am

Voxe wrote:I've bought the Orange box lately and enjoyed myself massively.

Orange Box... That includes TF2 right? What do you think about that one? I was considering it myself already...
Harlequina

Postby anthony » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:18 am

i feel like i just got wtfpwned :cry: anyway a mate of mine said black and white is pretty decent, cant remember what he said its about though
Chat-killer at your service.
anthony

Postby Sinfaxi » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:18 am

Mass Effect is out for PC actually. I highly recommend that game.
Sinfaxi

Postby Voxe » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:22 am

Harlequina wrote:
Voxe wrote:I've bought the Orange box lately and enjoyed myself massively.

Orange Box... That includes TF2 right? What do you think about that one? I was considering it myself already...

well...erm....I tried it once but got (like anthony puts it) WTFPWNED.

I somehow lack the hand eye co-ordination to Frames per second to actually make a difference.

Currently progressing through Halflife Ep1 and getting owned at every corner, but still I enjoy it.
Voxe

Postby majiben » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:23 am

the Orange box is loads of fun. TF2 is a lot of fun and pretty well balanced. I haven't played it on the PC only the X-box.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby phaqueue » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:24 am

depends on what kind of game you want to play:

FPS (single player):

Bioshock - definitely a great single player game - I like the idea of the plasmids - it gives a new twist to FPS action - and the story is a pretty good storyline. Only downside is that it has no multiplayer at all

Call of Duty 4 - this game truly shines as a FPS IMO - the single player campaign has great levels (the spectre gunship level is AMAZING IMO) and some really good cutscenes - definitely worth playing if you like FPS's

Orange Box/Portal - Portal is completely worth buying the whole orange box for (I think it's available without buying the orange box now - but I'm not 100%). Portal is a FPS puzzle game - definitely the first I've seen of it's kind - and very definitely worth playing (although - it's a little short unfortunately - only around 10 hours or so)

RTS:

Starcraft - DUH - it's starcraft... there's a reason this game is still played professionally as a 12 year old game... and that it's still widely regarded as the pioneer and one of the best RTS games you can get

Command and Conquer - If you're looking for a decent RTS - this series has come a long way from what it used to be - some of the big gripes are no longer there (being able to only build one unit at a time for example) I definitely enjoyed Generals, and haven't gotten to play much of the newer ones - but they look to be along the same lines and pretty good games

RPG:
haven't really played many RPG's lately - hellgate london is decent - but gets repetitive really quickly. (think diablo 2 - in 3d... and futuristic)

oblivion is decent if you like long in-depth RPG's - I'm not a huge fan - I usually get too distracted by the tons of other things I can do instead of progressing the storyline :)

hope this helps some!
phaqueue

Postby phaqueue » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:31 am

Majiben wrote:the Orange box is loads of fun. TF2 is a lot of fun and pretty well balanced. I haven't played it on the PC only the X-box.

^^ THIS ^^

portal is one of the most fun games I have played in a LONG time - if only it was longer :(
phaqueue

Postby Laikar » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:41 am

I have a number of the games mentioned on my 360, and they are available for PC as well... the Orange Box is, hands down, the bet value for money available no matter what system you get it for.

Mass Effect is freakin awesome.. and I hear its even better for the PC, they didn't just port it, they actually made it for the PC specially.

Bioshock can only be better on PC, as I would imagine that the already incrible world is very immersive indeed..it can be quite creepy however, so you might want to give it a miss if you don't like disturbing content.. little sisters >.<

Do not even bother trying Hellgate... and I'm speaking as someone who preordered and played it as soon as I could.. it should have been awesome, sadly it was not.. they shafted their subscribers, and single player fans like myself didn't even get mroe than a single, lacking, bug fix patch.
"We never paid any heed to the ancient prophecies, like fools we clung to the old hatreds, and fought as we had for generations."
Laikar

Postby phaqueue » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:57 am

Laikar wrote:I have a number of the games mentioned on my 360, and they are available for PC as well... the Orange Box is, hands down, the bet value for money available no matter what system you get it for.

YES - I was definitely amazed - even without having played half-life in any incarnation before picking this up - just how amazing this collection was... definitely the best $50 I've ever spent on a game

Laikar wrote: Mass Effect is freakin awesome.. and I hear its even better for the PC, they didn't just port it, they actually made it for the PC specially.

damn - now I have to go buy this to play on PC...

Laikar wrote: Bioshock can only be better on PC, as I would imagine that the already incrible world is very immersive indeed..it can be quite creepy however, so you might want to give it a miss if you don't like disturbing content.. little sisters >.<

having played both.... YES - Bioshock was definitely amazing on PC - I would say even creepier than the xbox version... and yes - little sisters still freak me out...

Laikar wrote: Do not even bother trying Hellgate... and I'm speaking as someone who preordered and played it as soon as I could.. it should have been awesome, sadly it was not.. they shafted their subscribers, and single player fans like myself didn't even get mroe than a single, lacking, bug fix patch.

as another person who bought this when it first came out - I was extremely annoyed to have paid $50 to be able to play a BETA version of the game... there were so many bugs and memory leaks this game was terrible to play - and from every time I've logged in since then it hasn't been much, if any, better... couple that with very repetetive gameplay and not much of a storyline and you have a terrible game in the making...
phaqueue

Postby Laikar » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:04 am

phaqueue wrote:
having played both.... YES - Bioshock was definitely amazing on PC - I would say even creepier than the xbox version... and yes - little sisters still freak me out...

They don't so much freak me out as make me feel bad :(

I couldn't, not even once, bring myself to harvest one.

as another person who bought this when it first came out - I was extremely annoyed to have paid $50 to be able to play a BETA version of the game... there were so many bugs and memory leaks this game was terrible to play - and from every time I've logged in since then it hasn't been much, if any, better... couple that with very repetetive gameplay and not much of a storyline and you have a terrible game in the making...

I think it would have easily been an awesome game had they concentrated on making a good game and left out all the MMO type online stuff.. stuck with Single Player with coop via LAN and direct connect and it'd have been stellar.

Sadly.. they just tried to do too much.. the base concept and gameplay was actualy pretty good, if they had polished it up.
"We never paid any heed to the ancient prophecies, like fools we clung to the old hatreds, and fought as we had for generations."
Laikar

Postby Harlequina » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:05 am

Orange Box is tempting. :p

(And I haven't even tried Half Life 2 yet... Really. But that's because I never really got into the HL storyline in the first place. Didn't like HL1 very much.)
Harlequina

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum