Hydross Adds

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Kayoto » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:31 pm

Paladins aren't able to tank Hydross himself in either of his phases, because he can land crushing blows and we can't remain immune to them while wearing resist gear like a Warrior can, correct?
Kayoto

Postby Kvaern » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:57 pm

Kayoto wrote:Paladins aren't able to tank Hydross himself in either of his phases, because he can land crushing blows and we can't remain immune to them while wearing resist gear like a Warrior can, correct?

No. Hydross doesn't crush.
Kvaern

Postby Kayoto » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:33 pm

Kvaern wrote:
Kayoto wrote:Paladins aren't able to tank Hydross himself in either of his phases, because he can land crushing blows and we can't remain immune to them while wearing resist gear like a Warrior can, correct?

Oh, that makes it nice. Just like his adds, however, he can crit, correct? Is it ideal to shoot for the resistance cap, or just get as much resistance as is possible without dipping below 490 defense?
Kayoto

Postby Worldie » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:59 pm

Kayoto wrote:
Kvaern wrote:

Oh, that makes it nice. Just like his adds, however, he can crit, correct? Is it ideal to shoot for the resistance cap, or just get as much resistance as is possible without dipping below 490 defense?

Capping resistance with keeping 490+ defence is very easy with some crafted epic items.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Kvaern » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:27 am

Kayoto wrote:
Kvaern wrote:

Resistance first then defense.

The world wont end if you have 485 defense but I wouldn't touch him w/o capped resist.
Kvaern

Postby Darus » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:04 am

I use about 200 of each, never any problems can prolly go with less. Dont care much about going under 490 def its more important to get the resistance up, and like someone mentioned block rating/value wont help you here so replace it for more stam/resi. I usually have 470 something in my hydross gear, its np.
Darus

Postby Mithos » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:24 am

Hmm we are about to try him soon (maybe even tonight if the NR tank has managed to finish his gear off), me and another palatank are tanking adds, 2 warrs on boss. I am running with 130FrR/155NR unbuffed, my gear is.

Icebane Helm (16def/17dodge) (50 FrR)
Pendant of Thawing (30 FrR)
Justicar Shoulderguards (15def/10dodge)
Devilshark Cape (12 dodge)
Wildguard Chestplate (60 NR) (+6 stats, may change to HP actually)
Bracers of the Green Fortress (12 sta)
Merc. Glads. Gavel (40 spell dmg, a nifty 18 resi.)
The Plague Bearer (15 FrR)(18 sta) <----Naxx PuGs at 70 FTW
Libram of Hope, coz repentance isn't useful
Justicar Gloves (20 spell dmg)
Belt of the Guardian
Wildguard Legs (40sta/12agi)
Boots of the Protector (12 sta)
The Natural Ward (35 NR)
The Frozen Eye (35 FrR)
Darkmoon Card: Vengeance
Adamantite Figurine

I'm currently sitting at 155 NR and 130 FrR unbuffed, 11617 HP, 5628 mana 386 spell dmg, 2/5 T4 bonus, 451 defense and 18 resilisnce (11.5 defense worth of crit immunity). 12.3/14.04 dodge/parry. I could use TF to take me up to 164 NR unbuffed but i don't think its worth it...I could also use styleens for 8 more defense but I think the stamian on vengeance is more useful, same with Moroes' trinket.

Any advice at all? Not enough resistance? Not enough defense? I read the whole thread so I am doubting what I have is anything near optimal, although this resistance is only from 7 items. Thanks.
Last edited by Mithos on Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mithos

Postby Eliane » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:57 am

I tank Hydross during the nature phase since our first NR tank quit. I used to tank adds and I had ~150 of each while being crit immune (491 I think). I replace both my stamina trinket and my dodge trinket for defense trinkets since a crit can potentially whipe the raid.
Eliane

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:45 am

mithoss wrote:Hmm we are about to try him soon (maybe even tonight if the NR tank has managed to finish his gear off), me and another palatank are tanking adds, 2 warrs on boss. I am running with 130FrR/155NR unbuffed, my gear is.

Icebane Helm (16def/17dodge) (50 FrR)
Pendant of Thawing (30 FrR)
Justicar Shoulderguards (15def/10dodge)
Devilshark Cape (12 dodge)
Wildguard Chestplate (60 NR) (+6 stats, may change to HP actually)
Bracers of the Green Fortress (12 sta)
Merc. Glads. Gavel (40 spell dmg, a nifty 18 resi.)
The Plague Bearer (15 FrR)(18 sta) <----Naxx PuGs at 70 FTW
Libram of Hope, coz repentance isn't useful
Justicar Gloves (20 spell dmg)
Belt of the Guardian
Wildguard Legs (40sta/12agi)
Boots of the Protector (12 sta)
The Natural Ward (35 NR)
The Frozen Eye (35 FrR)
Darkmoon Card: Vengeance
Adamantite Figurine

I'm currently sitting at 155 NR and 130 FrR unbuffed, 11617 HP, 5628 mana 386 spell dmg, 2/5 T4 bonus, 451 defense and 18 resilisnce (11.5 defense worth of crit immunity). 12.3/14.04 dodge/parry. I could use TF to take me up to 164 NR unbuffed but i don't think its worth it...I could also use styleens for 8 more defense but I think the stamian on vengeance is more useful, same with Moroes' trinket.

Any advice at all? Not enough resistance? Not enough defense? I read the whole thread so I am doubting what I have is anything near optimal, although this resistance is only from 7 items. Thanks.

You have plenty of resistance to tank 2 adds, I'm more concerned with the fact that you can be crit. I've always been crit immune when I tanked them, so I'm not sure how much trouble you'll run into from that. A crit would be for around 8000 before resists. I generally have around 110 of each resistance unbuffed, so you could go with less if you were able to get that defense up. Also, you have more than enough spell damage as well, that's another stat you could sacrifice if the math worked out.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Mithos » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:10 pm

yeah the spell damage thing was just a nice "oh, I didn't lose any" thing rather than an aim, but thanks ill try to scrape crit immunity then :)

Important edit: WoWWiki says the adds are only level 71, meaning you only need 480 defense, i.e 0.4% less crit immunity than normal. That makes it simpler. I now only have to swap my maidne neck back in over the FrR one, and Medallion of the Alliance in for the stamina trinket and I have 0.36% chance to be crit vs bosses, which translates to -0.04% (0) chance to be crit again the adds \o/ yay.
Mithos

Postby Pilate » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:05 am

Just curious.. would it be possible for a paly tank to to tank hydross and all 4 of his adds (maybe 3 with 1 banished) if he were wearing the full nature reist for that phase.

My raid group is currently working with 2 tanks right now with 1 more up and coming but it will take him another month or two to come up so the faster the better :).

Essentially the paly tank would tank hydross in that phase and in the next phase we would have our druid tank hydross and 1 or 2 of his adds while we use banishes and focus fire during this phase rather then the aoe that we would use when the paly was tanking in his phase. It would provide ample mana to our casters w/out them hurting and with our raid balanced group we have both melee and casters in there.

So... do you think this would work? 2 Tanks only.
Pilate

Postby Worldie » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:39 am

Pilate wrote:Just curious.. would it be possible for a paly tank to to tank hydross and all 4 of his adds (maybe 3 with 1 banished) if he were wearing the full nature reist for that phase.

Definitively not, too many damages.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Crusherus » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:31 pm

My guild will be starting Hydross soon. I am gearing up to tank the adds. So far I have 165NR/135FrR, 488 Defense, and 11,000 Health, 300 Spell Damage all unbuffed. I will be trying to boost my FrR to 165ish.

I am not worried at all about taking 2 of the adds but I was wondering if I could go for 3 and have the other off-tank just grab 1. That way our dps could focus fire on the one add tanked by the other off-tank with maybe some seeds of corruption while I build a few seconds of aggro on the other 3 before we just AoE them down.

Does this sound like it has some potential or would sticking with the 2 adds per off-tank work better? We would probably use a druid to grab the 1 so gearing up for a lot of resistance with greens doesn't sound very efficient. Seeing if he can get away with just a resist neck and the 2 epic +35 rings.

Any thoughts from those who have experienced the fight? How long does is usually take to burn down all 4 adds with single target dps? Assuming your raid is just coming into this equipped with mostly Tier 4 level gear.
Dragonmaw - US
Crusherus

Postby Gracerath » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:10 am

Don't single target the adds. Bunch them up and AE as you say. The longer they take to kill, the more the damage debuff stacks and by that time, the person tanking the 4th add will be in a world of hurt. Plus, thats dps not on Hydross and you'll not make the enrage timer. A good goal to shoot for is having all 4 adds down by the time the 50% debuff stack hits, 25% is better if possible. Once they are bunched up and AE is called, it takes maybe 10 seconds for them all to die.

We are still working on the fight and had a few good attempts last week. We tried single target dps at first and it was just horrible.

By the way, I was around 14.5k hps buffed, 160ish FrR/140ish NR and about 460 or so defense (wearing some green resist stuff for the short term until I can get some stuff crafted, have rings and necklace though). I took maybe 2 crits total on all our attempts and none of them were life threatening crits.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Demiblade » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:07 pm

This is my current plan to gear myself as nature+frost resist hybrid to be the ultimate AoE adds tank, with potential to to become Full NR MT in future by crafting just an extra legs and a necklace if there is a need.

Guild is funding me some of the mats. Those in green are already crafted so there is no way back. I'm still working on the rest. Let me know if you have any feedback, or you think I'm doing something silly. Other pieces of non-resist gear will be what I have in my armory (linked in sig) currently.

Head
NR +50 Wildguard Helm
NR +20 Glyph of Nature Warding

Chest
NR +60 Wildguard Breastplate
NR +08 Nature Armor Kit

Legs
FR +60 Iceguard Leggings - Completed
FR +08 Frost Armor Kit

Rings
FR +35 The Frozen Eye
NR +35 The Natural Ward - Completed

Necklace
FR +30 Pendant of Thawing

Cloak
NR +12 Syrannis' Mystic Sheen
FR +12 Syrannis' Mystic Sheen
NR +05 Enchant Cloak - Greater Resistance
FR +05 Enchant Cloak - Greater Resistance

Target unbuffed resists (without FR aura)
Nature Resist: 50+20+60+08+35+12+5 = 190
Frost Resist: 60+08+35+30+12+5 = 150
Demiblade

PreviousNext

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern