Consolidated WotLK profession perks (which are you taking?)

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby PsiVen » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:30 pm

Kelaan wrote:
Braundo wrote:Titansteel is going to be a pain to make. Three "eternals," six Titanium ore, and a 20-hour cooldown for one bar?

I'm guessing that most of us who want to get into Naxx ASAP will be rolling with two pieces of this stuff at most to start with, with the rest being filled in from heroics.

Well, aren't there only 3 titansteel armor pieces? That's still ~4 days worth of cooldowns per piece, plus the mats which are just money. (Sure, I don't have a lot of money, heh ... but this looks like something worth spending it on.)

Well, you're either a miner or you aren't getting these in time for Naxx. Titansteel cooldowns will be extremely precious when you first hit 80, nobody is going to sell them to you.

Am I missing something obvious?

It's a 15-second HoT, not an instant heal.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby elfjorc » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:39 pm

Currently Engy/JC and farming hte mats for Blacksmithing. (Hunter alt mines) If Engineering turns out to be bleh, easy switch, if it turns out to be worth it, I make a killing on the AH. Cant lose :)
Last edited by elfjorc on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elfjorc

Postby Caelia » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:39 pm

PsiVen wrote:
Kelaan wrote:
Braundo wrote:Titansteel is going to be a pain to make. Three "eternals," six Titanium ore, and a 20-hour cooldown for one bar?

I'm guessing that most of us who want to get into Naxx ASAP will be rolling with two pieces of this stuff at most to start with, with the rest being filled in from heroics.

Well, aren't there only 3 titansteel armor pieces? That's still ~4 days worth of cooldowns per piece, plus the mats which are just money. (Sure, I don't have a lot of money, heh ... but this looks like something worth spending it on.)

Well, you're either a miner or you aren't getting these in time for Naxx. Titansteel cooldowns will be extremely precious when you first hit 80, nobody is going to sell them to you.

Miner and Eng here, so woot!
In Progress: Fury Warrior: Tailwhip
All Retired: Holy Priest:Appletons | DK Blood Tank: Dreadborne | Prot Paladin: Welsh
Caelia

Postby bjanssen » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:42 pm

PsiVen wrote:

Sorry I'm being dense here I'm sure, but doesn't it still mean you can take another 2000 damage without draining the healers mana?

Most of my boss fights last long enough to use this twice. Is 500 more max health better than that?

Really confused as to why this isn't a really good thing
bjanssen

Postby Sunstrider » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:45 pm

2000 over 15 seconds is horrible, its horribly insignificant as a heal in a raid and a 3 minute cooldown just makes it horrible. When would you spend a 15 second time frame without being topped off by the healers??
Sunstrider

Postby oxn » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:39 pm

Yarr, going LW + BS >>

The rogue alt is becoming mining / skin to support my habits
oxn

Postby Stilgarr » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:12 am

Leveling my mage more or less at the same rate as the pally so he can take Engineering and BS while the mage takes Mining and Tailoring.

Might level my old SP that has JC but not sure.

Started the BS grind before prices go really retarded with DK BS's. Although 30-50g per stack for mithril and Thorium still stings a bit :(
Stilgarr

Postby Macha » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:04 am

I've decided for myself

Mining+BS for epics to be used in Naxx. Leveling an alchemist ATm to help with Titansteel - you can reach transmute titanium without using northrend herbs.

Will drop Mining later, for LW - already got the leather needed too.
Macha

Postby Seraphia » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:55 am

I'm still Set on Mining/Engineering. My current goggles served me very well and I see little reason as to why the new ones wouldn't. Plus I'm in love with all the 'toys' Eng provides. :lol:

Mining is mining /shrug. Free HP bonus, can't argue with that.
-Seraphia <Slap in the Face> : Doomhammer
Seraphia

Postby MrDuck » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:52 am

Well, i'll sure keep mining, but i'm not yet sure if it'll be better to pick leatherworking or BSmithing. These additional sockets look pretty interesting, but so does the wrist enchant, however i don't see a point keeping engineering (wanted the hog, but making it BoE kills it :< ) so have yet to see which proffession turns out most interesting, so far it looks like smithing for me :> So Mining+BS.
MrDuck

Postby Boomtank » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:32 am

tailoring would be good for threat i suppose, but LW/JC/Enchanting could be promising
Boomtank

Postby Andox » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:40 am

Boomtank wrote:tailoring would be good for threat i suppose, but LW/JC/Enchanting could be promising

If you mean the Lightweave Embroidery (chance on damaging spell to cause 800 - 1000 Holy damage) i don't think it will be that great. I assume it have a internal cooldown of 45 seconds. It also have a 50% procc rate. It doesn't add that much threat.
Andox

Postby Shadowhamer » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:49 am

Will stay BS/Mining. As a tank, the extra HP will be a good thing. BS can make SHIELDS. Hmmm let me say that again.... S H I EL D S !!!!!!

Yeah and the sockets will truly come in handy. As a weapon/hammersmith, I am looking forward to some nice stuff down the line.

My Hunter is Leather/Skinning, so I have that covered. The only thing I am looking at now is what I my lock will be. I have enchnating up to 335...and the secondary is nothing atm...I am wondering how hard it would be to level inscription without herbalism..
Evil does not fight fair, so nor do I

For he who dares !
Shadowhamer

Postby Kelaan » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:30 am

PsiVen wrote:
Kelaan wrote:Well, aren't there only 3 titansteel armor pieces? That's still ~4 days worth of cooldowns per piece, plus the mats which are just money.

People will sell them, for the right price, which will of course be stupidly high at first. My hunter is a miner, and I am planning to keep him as such rather than drop it. I've just dropped enchanting (never was going to get it past 225 anyways...) on my paladin, and am now 31/75 mining. (I forgot how much I dislike leveling mining. ;)) So, in theory, that'll net me two cooldowns. Yes, I realize most people won't be in this position.

I'm more worried about getting the mats, rather than cooldown availability. 2 Cooldowns would require both toons to be at sufficient mining skill, and past experience tells me that's unlikely to happen for me... /shrug.

edit:
bjanssen wrote:
Wild Growth, an instant-cast heal over time on a 3 minute cooldown. At max rank, it heals you for 2000 over 15 seconds.

Am I missing something obvious? Why isn't this the slam dunk tank profession? Does it share cooldowns with something important like potions? If not then getting 2k instant healing every 3 min for the price of a global cooldown seems like a nice EH bonus.

Surely that is better than a mere 500 health?

As PsiVen said, it's a HoT, rather than an instant heal. It's a self-renew, not a healthstone. Yes, it MIGHT help, but ... generally not as good as raw health would be.
Kelaan

Postby oxn » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:33 pm

oxn wrote:Yarr, going LW + BS >>

The rogue alt is becoming mining / skin to support my habits

After much consideration, I will be going JC + BS.

This should allow me to stack stamina in every single gem slot and easily use any meta gem. It also gives me an additional two non-color gem slots. ( possibly another meta socket? /shrug )

I did a bit of testing between the different professions to maximize hp / utility and these turned out to be the best for me. I plan on posting my results after I cleanup the data and verify a few last things.
oxn

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK