resist on skull/73 boss

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

resist on skull/73 boss

Postby sindorei » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:27 pm

i have recently mt a couple of skull bosses and i found that my consecration, exorcism and seal of righteousness are being resisted a lot on them. all i saw from the bubble text is resisted! resisted!

typical example will be the riding phase on first kara boss, while it resisted my exorcism and pwned one of our mage.
User avatar
sindorei
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:51 pm

Postby adese » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:59 pm

This happens because our spell "missed", i.e. was resisted. Against a mob that is 3 levels higher than you (which is what a raid boss is), you have a 17% chance to miss with spells.

This number can be lowered by getting spell hit rating on your gear. However, there is little to no plate with spell hit on it, and given the large number of other stats that we need as tanks, it really isn't advisable to seek it out.

Now, if there is a sword, gem, etc. that is nice that has spell hit on it, you can always use it. I have about 1% spell hit rating between a gem from a heroic and the Continuum Blade. I'm not going to get more because I don't want to sacrifice any other stats for it.
Image
Image
adese
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 7:33 pm
Location: Aggramar

Postby sindorei » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:20 pm

adese wrote:This happens because our spell "missed", i.e. was resisted. Against a mob that is 3 levels higher than you (which is what a raid boss is), you have a 17% chance to miss with spells.

This number can be lowered by getting spell hit rating on your gear. However, there is little to no plate with spell hit on it, and given the large number of other stats that we need as tanks, it really isn't advisable to seek it out.

Now, if there is a sword, gem, etc. that is nice that has spell hit on it, you can always use it. I have about 1% spell hit rating between a gem from a heroic and the Continuum Blade. I'm not going to get more because I don't want to sacrifice any other stats for it.


the problem i have is it cuased death on casters(they don`t care about holding dps LOL, and our MT warrior can just pick him up without holding dps) if u missed few key spell such as exorcism on attuntmen first kara boss, even i used max rank consecration, fire mage still able to steal the aggro from an crited fireball.
I am currently resocketed my belt of guardian with 5spell hit and 6stam[Vivid Chrysoprase] plus [Glowing Nightseye].
now i am considering 1 more great dawnstone on 1 yellow socket on bracer or my tier4 shoulder.

side note: i hardly see people stack spell hits on tankdin >_<, they either stack up stam gems or 20 spell dmg on glove
User avatar
sindorei
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:51 pm

Postby corc » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:39 pm

sindorei wrote:the problem i have is it cuased death on casters(they don`t care about holding dps LOL, and our MT warrior can just pick him up without holding dps) if u missed few key spell such as exorcism on attuntmen first kara boss, even i used max rank consecration, fire mage still able to steal the aggro from an crited fireball.


you know what I would do instead of resocketing expensive gems?

Yell at them to STFU and STOP DPS in a phase transition. This is a common boss encounter mechanic, and they need to learn it FAST.

All else fails, kick them from the raid if they keep complaining, dps are a dime a dozen.

It's their repair bill and if you can't get aggro because they pulled and it went and killed someone else, then the extra deaths are their fault too. Max cons should be able to bring Attuman back to you after he mounts with no problem if the dps stop attacking. Also, make sure everyone ranged stands in the "dead" zone so they don't get charged--think of it as the distance a hunter would need to be at min range.
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
corc
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Postby Vanifae » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:39 pm

Spell hit is not needed, you might want to rethink your threat cycle you will get resisted about 17% of the time, but it should not be so bad that you are basically losing aggro.

I suggest you give us a parse of your combat log, or a WWS because there has to be something else going on.

Edit: When Attumen mounts it is an aggro reset, you need a second to secure him. I typically save Avenging Wrath for Phase 2.
Last edited by Vanifae on Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
User avatar
Vanifae
 
Posts: 7123
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 am

Postby Worldie » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:41 pm

Its like asking: have you ever seen a warrior stacking hit rating and nerfin his HP/avoidance for it?

Your dps will learn to hold aggro if you get some resist in a row, or they'll die. End of the story.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13381
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Postby sindorei » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:14 pm

Worldie wrote:Its like asking: have you ever seen a warrior stacking hit rating and nerfin his HP/avoidance for it?

Your dps will learn to hold aggro if you get some resist in a row, or they'll die. End of the story.


gruul`s shield and ssc mace both have hit rating on them i think.
User avatar
sindorei
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:51 pm

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:49 pm

sindorei wrote:
Worldie wrote:Its like asking: have you ever seen a warrior stacking hit rating and nerfin his HP/avoidance for it?

Your dps will learn to hold aggro if you get some resist in a row, or they'll die. End of the story.


gruul`s shield and ssc mace both have hit rating on them i think.


Yes, warriors won't stack it, but it's on some tanking gear, especially later on in the end game. Some well noted warriors claim that it helps quite a bit. It's no secret that our itemization is a bit off, but it has been and hopefully will continue to improve. The other issue is that we can generate a good bit threat without hitting a mob. so on one hand we aren't forced to rely on one mechanic, on the other it's quite difficult to improve them both via gear, or even talents for spell hit.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 9667
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Postby Worldie » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:47 pm

sindorei wrote:
Worldie wrote:Its like asking: have you ever seen a warrior stacking hit rating and nerfin his HP/avoidance for it?

Your dps will learn to hold aggro if you get some resist in a row, or they'll die. End of the story.


gruul`s shield and ssc mace both have hit rating on them i think.

Gruul shield and King defender have a very little hit rating on them, you can get about 2% to hit with those, and ssc mace and the axe from BT have weapon skill bonuses, nothing that you would really notice, and they arent actually giving up any tanking stats for those.


For sure i wouldnt dislike some spellhit on paladin gear, but i'm not really thinking of giving up any avoidance stat or HP for spellhit rating.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13381
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Re: resist on skull/73 boss

Postby fiorina » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:00 am

sindorei wrote:i have recently mt a couple of skull bosses and i found that my consecration, exorcism and seal of righteousness are being resisted a lot on them. all i saw from the bubble text is resisted! resisted!

typical example will be the riding phase on first kara boss, while it resisted my exorcism and pwned one of our mage.


For consecration part. Is every tick checked against 17% resist rate separately?
User avatar
fiorina
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:07 pm

Postby Worldie » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:02 am

Consecration cannot be "resisted" completely, or well, never happened to me up to now. However, if it says "resist" in the moment you cast it, it will tick for much less than its normal amount (25%, 50% or 75% less if i'm not wrong)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13381
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Postby fiorina » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:05 am

Worldie wrote:Consecration cannot be "resisted" completely, or well, never happened to me up to now. However, if it says "resist" in the moment you cast it, it will tick for much less than its normal amount (25%, 50% or 75% less if i'm not wrong)


well, if it gets partially resisted it's because of level difference and spellhit won't help with it... initial tick resist is not related with it
User avatar
fiorina
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:07 pm

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:46 am

Worldie wrote:Consecration cannot be "resisted" completely, or well, never happened to me up to now. However, if it says "resist" in the moment you cast it, it will tick for much less than its normal amount (25%, 50% or 75% less if i'm not wrong)


Indvidual ticks can be fully resisted.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 9667
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Postby Worldie » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:18 am

If it's so i've never noticed it.

Or well, theres enough spam of damages already to notice a resist :o
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13381
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Postby sindorei » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:54 pm

let`s say you are unlucky, which happened to me indeed, you popped ur AW and pull Arcane Golems with AV, you missed it and then pop consecrations but resisted first tick and then you immed judge, but before you judgeted, your healer has healed you and some mage already casted fireball, you push your panic button macro but your range "taunt" resist again LOL
User avatar
sindorei
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:51 pm

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest