Threat on Kalecgos (demon)

Kalecgos, Brutallus, Felmyst, M'uru, Entropius, Kil'jaeden

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Threat on Kalecgos (demon)

Postby Akonda » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:16 pm

Guys I'm having a serious issue with threat on the demon form Kalecgos.

When I walk in and taunt the demon, I lose aggro within 5 seconds. I KNOW my taunt worked, because I see the \ - / over the demon's head. I blow avenging wrath and a spell damage trinket before I taunt the boss, and as soon as I taunt him I hit a macro that casts exorcism and judgement (of righteousness) THEN pop holy shield and avenger's shield. By the time I would hit the boss with avenger's shield, I've lost aggro to Kalecgos and have to wait about 8 seconds to taunt again. And once I get to the point where I would have 12 seconds remaining on my return up top, I can't taunt anymore because then I wouldn't be able to taunt the dragon off of the warrior tank.

Something is SERIOUSLY wrong. I'm wearing 500 spell damage, but I'm 46/15, not 40/21. I can't see any way to build huge burst threat any better.
Akonda

Postby Afraithe » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:00 pm

Put up JoTC before you start, I can even easily hold him in resistance gear (if one of the tanks die, we do the switch), not using wings.
Afraithe

Maintaining threat

Postby Avine » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:04 am

Things that I do to get "set" for taunting the demon. Get Judgement of the Crusade up, Seal righteousness, get consecrate going and Holy Shield. I normally wait for him to use his Corrupting Strike ability on Kalec, then taunt, wings, exorcism/judgement. If you taunt early and he immediately uses corrupting strike on you, it's 3(?) seconds where you're just standing there doing nothing to build threat. I tend to not use Avenger's Shield at all, just using judgement and exorcism every time they're up off CD.

Biggest thing is to make sure that you wait to taunt till after he uses a Corrupting Strike on Kalecgos. It saves your healers some grief and you get a bit more time to build threat before he does it again.

I will occasionally lose him, regardless of what I do, but most of the time he stays stuck to me like glue. Typically I run 530ish spell damage for this fight, and spec 49/12.
Avine

Postby Akonda » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:29 pm

Corrupting strike was the issue once. But there were several other attempts (after I thought to make a macro to judge and exor simultaneously) that I couldn't hold him. The only thing I wasn't doing was judging SotC, because then I have to wait 8 seconds for more burst threat. I think the issue might be dodge and parry not causing me to gain passive threat from Holy Shield and Spiritual attunement, because I'm not taking any damage at first.
Akonda

Postby Lieris » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:39 pm

Losing aggro to Kalecgos happens to everyone, it's really nothing you should get upset about. Just don't taunt into Corrupting Strike (or have FAPs ready) and taunt whenever he pulls off you.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Seloei » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:03 am

During the start of the fight you will lose agro to kalecqos often since his Heroic Strike does a hell of a lot of threat.

When it's my turn to go downstairs i start off with JotC on him.

JotC, cons, hs, (5 seconds left on judgement), "warn in vent", taunt, wing, exor, judge/reseal.

The time it takes for me to say "Sel taunting the demon" is enough for judgement cooldown to be at ~2s.

Also, i pop a free action pot most of the time as soon as i pop wings.
Seloei

Postby Ratanna » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:29 am

i judge crusader, get about 4-5 stacks of vengeance. as i'm consecrating holy shield i give warning. FAPS then taunt. vengeance is the most reliable imo because u can still build up threat when u are stunned on the ground. Vengeance + consecrate only threat u will be building when u are stunned (without faps). I dont have a problem with threat ever.
Ratanna

Postby Doer » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:21 pm

Not sure on the exact theory behind this but ive always asumed that if you hit taunt as the demon targets a random raid member for that half a sec you will lose aggro to kalec the second the debuff wears off. As you wont have enough aggro as you aint taunted him off another tank or kalecgos. This is only what im asuming though would need some1 to confirm this. On 540 spell dmg i normaly dont have an issue losing aggro to him.
Doer

Postby towelliee » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:03 am

I had the same issue. I am spec'd 40/21. What I do is prep Crusader the second I see him Knock Down Kalecgos I do the following

Holy shield
Concecrate
Taunt
Pop Wings
Judge Crusader
Seal Righteoueness
Exorcism
Judge Righteousness

Then keep to normal rotation
towelliee

Return to Sunwell Plateau