Remove Advertisements

AoE farming in WotLK

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby rodos » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:55 pm

Regular BM trash will get you about 100k (rested) for a full clear at lvl 70. I did in 4 pulls because I'm not passively uncrushable (T4/ZA/badge gear) and I was wary of the poisons. However, SoL/JoL was enough to keep me close to full the whole time, so once I re-enchant/re-gem for more defense after 3.0.2 I'm going to try for 2 or even 1 pull.

I think I'll probably grind to 71 or 72, then hit the Northrend quests which should be super-easy. Hopefully I can finish up Northrend with a zone or two to spare for cash -- it worked pretty well for my priest that way in Outland.
rodos

Postby guillex » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:06 pm

Ok. So. This is OP.

Seriously.

Fucking.

OP.

I was in the Dark Iron Mines south of the Expedition Point in Howling Fjord ... BoSanc up, SoL, HS, HotR ... There's a never-ending stream of dwarves near where you complete the Thunder quest.

I burned through 3 bars of rested, and a bar and a half of regular xp in a mere hour.

I didn't have to drink or move once, never got below 50% mana, and I didn't have the FotC equipped. I could barely loot everything in time.

This is going to be a favorite spot of mine from now on.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Galoheart » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:22 pm

Try 600-700k a hour with a fully rested XP bar at 78 and that is with full server lag in Beta.
http://ardentdefender.blogspot.com/ - My WoW Blog.
"One day my time will come. Until then I continue to prepare myself".
Galoheart

Postby Tyaera » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:54 pm

Protection grinding is very very good in WotLK, but if you have even a halfway decent Retribution set, with the current state of Ret it is silly not to respec to level as Retribution.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby Arcand » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:41 am

Guillex wrote:I was in the Dark Iron Mines south of the Expedition Point in Howling Fjord ... BoSanc up, SoL, HS, HotR ... There's a never-ending stream of dwarves near where you complete the Thunder quest.

No competition for them? They're not a quest requirement or anything?
Arcand

Postby Rasmfrackn » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:37 am

Tyaera wrote:Protection grinding is very very good in WotLK, but if you have even a halfway decent Retribution set, with the current state of Ret it is silly not to respec to level as Retribution.

My half-green-half-T4 ret gear+gorehowl makes me giggle like a schoolgirl.

Well, at the moment it makes me hack up a lung because I'm sick, but you get the idea. :)

I've never killed same-level mobs in the time it takes to push 3 GCDs before.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Garwin » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:53 am

just west of the riplash strand theres a large area with floating monoliths that drop large 20+ groups of ghouls and abomination type mobs.

in the middle of it all it's got a named litch bloke which I left alone .. but all his summoned muppet buddies (some of them level 74)

they all died...

they kinda slipped and fell over and didn't get up

unfortunatly they didn't give me any xp.

I'm tier 5/6 badge geared though. used light to muscle through the tougher abominations
Garwin

Postby Eanin » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:10 am

I was fiddling around on test, and I found the most efficient way to do this was to bless sanctuary, seal light and judge light on one mob at a time. Full mana and health after every fight. It was amazing.
Eanin

Postby Neuron » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:52 am

Galoheart wrote:For 77-80 the absolutely best grind spot I've seen is a "Dig" area in Icecrown can't remember name but it's SW of the giant camp area in the central map area. It's all "Undead" as well as DK but undead all the same. The mobs spawn there faster than you can even loot them. They now have loot as of this last patch. They can drop greens and food recipies. But very good grind area with huge groups of undead. I call it a fun area. From 78-79 I had so much fun there playing and testing that I grinder out the entire level in maybe 3hrs or less in non stop AoE with quite a bit of rest bonus. Funny thing I was the only one there. But great grind area.

I just wanted to second this. I think the dig area is called something like malaysia forge, i forget. Its just north east of icecrown citadel, at the very south end of the icecrown zone. The respawn rate is pretty insane. The added stun on exorcism combined with them all being undead is great.

Sadly, however, this is pretty much the only spot in northrend that I have found that is decent.

(Gooey on Northrend)
http://www.ardentdefender.com - A combat log parsing API
Neuron

Postby guillex » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:55 am

Arcand wrote:
Guillex wrote:I was in the Dark Iron Mines south of the Expedition Point in Howling Fjord ... BoSanc up, SoL, HS, HotR ... There's a never-ending stream of dwarves near where you complete the Thunder quest.

No competition for them? They're not a quest requirement or anything?

Nope!

And I meant 50% health. Not mana. My mana was full all of the time.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Macha » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:02 am

Guillex wrote:I burned through 3 bars of rested, and a bar and a half of regular xp in a mere hour.

I didn't have to drink or move once, never got below 50% mana, and I didn't have the FotC equipped. I could barely loot everything in time.

Quest and you get more Xp in the same time so....why is that OP? :P
Macha

Postby guillex » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:07 am

Macha wrote:
Guillex wrote:I burned through 3 bars of rested, and a bar and a half of regular xp in a mere hour.

Because, unlike questing, I didn't move. Once. I didn't have to sit and drink. Once.

My health and mana were pretty much full the entire time. When you're blocking/dodging/parrying almost every hit and regaining 2% total mana, you're pretty much spamming all your abilities and not losing anything.

That's what's OP.

Questing, yes I agree, you get the ... no wait you don't. Quests are what, 20k exp for going to this spot, killing this or getting that, then heading back to the questgiver and turning it in? Rested exp was giving me 1.6k per dwarf kill. I didn't have to move. Do the math. ;)
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Rasmfrackn » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:20 am

Guillex wrote:
Macha wrote:

Because, unlike questing, I didn't move. Once. I didn't have to sit and drink. Once.

My health and mana were pretty much full the entire time. When you're blocking/dodging/parrying almost every hit and regaining 2% total mana, you're pretty much spamming all your abilities and not losing anything.

That's what's OP.

Questing, yes I agree, you get the ... no wait you don't. Quests are what, 20k exp for going to this spot, killing this or getting that, then heading back to the questgiver and turning it in? Rested exp was giving me 1.6k per dwarf kill. I didn't have to move. Do the math. ;)

So if you'd stayed rested, that would've been 6 bubbles an hour. 3.3ish hours per level is pretty good. :)

Questing to 71 took me probably 7-8 hours in BT... hard to say b/c I had about 40% of the level from exploring all the zones first.

The only problem is it'll be hard to build up any rest xp when I want to play nownownow. :)
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Kelaan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:45 pm

Rasmfrackn wrote:... if you'd stayed rested, that would've been 6 bubbles an hour. 3.3ish hours per level is pretty good. :)

Questing to 71 took me probably 7-8 hours in BT... hard to say b/c I had about 40% of the level from exploring all the zones first.

Without rested XP, that's still looking like ~7 hours/level. Seems pretty competetive with questing, if that's your thing. I think I'll prefer to quest, though. On the bright side, grinding on humanoids should net lots of potions and cloth and a few greens to sell/DE.
Kelaan

Postby Rasmfrackn » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:47 pm

Kelaan wrote:
Rasmfrackn wrote:... if you'd stayed rested, that would've been 6 bubbles an hour. 3.3ish hours per level is pretty good. :)

Without rested XP, that's still looking like ~7 hours/level. Seems pretty competetive with questing, if that's your thing. I think I'll prefer to quest, though. On the bright side, grinding on humanoids should net lots of potions and cloth and a few greens to sell/DE.

I have a grand total of 5 pieces of frozenweave cloth to my name partway through 71. There are like no humanoids in the tundra. That might be a VERY good reason to grind out at least part of a level there. :)

-- Oh, and I never ever have enough bag space to actually sit and grind for an hour without hitting a mailbox and a vendor. It's sad, really. I think I can really streamline my gear now that "mitigation" and "threat" gear is so much closer together.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK