Remove Advertisements

Anyone good with graphic cards?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Anyone good with graphic cards?

Postby Andox » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:36 am

So, problems problems....

Yesterday when I played wow my screen got covered with some green/pink shit. Some dots, lines and other stuff. Much like it does when ur gfx card get overheated. So I shut down the comp. Next day (read: today) I started it up again, but nothing. The screen was black. The gfxcard didn't even send a signal to my monitor, I got a "No signal" message.

Fuck it, I thought. When I came home from school I contacted the support. They said that I would unplug the computer, press the start button 15 times, wait 15 minutes and then plug it in and test it. They thought that it was to much power in it, or well, I don't know the English word for it. I hope you get it =/

When I plugged it in again it worked! Cheers! I was happy. But when I farmed my Kodo once again the screen got green/pink. But this time, if disappeared if I updated the screen. Or to explain it better ,as soon as something new came up on the screen, ie. scrolling on a Internet page, new window or something like that the abnormalities disappeared.

Now I'm confused. Should I turn it in to the support (takes 14 days to get it back) or was this aftermath (It's called that, right?) just something that "should" happened after problems like this? I'm sitting on it now, about 1 hour after this aftermath I got today, and it works very good. Played wow on it, browsed Internet and seen a XviD movie.

So please, help me. I don't really want to turn it in, I have some important thing to do on it. But still, I don't want it to brake again. I will contact the support once again today if I should turn it in. So please tell me what you know!

Thank you!
Andox

Postby Fenira » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:54 am

Do you gots a laptop or desktop? Maybe it's your card, or try updating your video drivers from your manufactures website? I know that works sometimes... What card is it?
Fenira

Postby Andox » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:58 am

It's a desktop.

http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... fanut8.jpg
http://img72.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... an2yd7.jpg

is the temperature when it been idling for about 10 minutes. As for the model, radeon X1900 series it says when I try to find the information.

Anyway, since the computer is working now, and that the temperature seem to be normal.

CPU: 37
Ambient: 40
Remote: 66
HD0: 37
HD1: 35
Temp1: 40
Core: 64

Btw, what is "Remote" and "Core" they have been 50 - 60 all the time, even if the computer been ideling for about 1 hour. But since the temperature seems good (For my untrained eye) and that the computer is working now I think I wait and see about 2-3 days. If it still #@#% up I will turn it in, if it work I will keep it. Since then I think it was a one time happening when it happened again. Maybe it do so normally aswell.
Andox

Postby Tirion » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:18 pm

Andox wrote:It's a desktop.

http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... fanut8.jpg
http://img72.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... an2yd7.jpg

is the temperature when it been idling for about 10 minutes. As for the model, radeon X1900 series it says when I try to find the information.

Anyway, since the computer is working now, and that the temperature seem to be normal.

CPU: 37
Ambient: 40
Remote: 66
HD0: 37
HD1: 35
Temp1: 40
Core: 64

Btw, what is "Remote" and "Core" they have been 50 - 60 all the time, even if the computer been ideling for about 1 hour. But since the temperature seems good (For my untrained eye) and that the computer is working now I think I wait and see about 2-3 days. If it still #@#% up I will turn it in, if it work I will keep it. Since then I think it was a one time happening when it happened again. Maybe it do so normally aswell.

uhm if that's in centigrade, that's fucking hot. 64?!! that's almost 150 F
Tirion

Postby Pizbit » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:34 pm

Gonna assume warranty is still active so you can't just open it up and check for dust on the graphics card eh?
(If you are allowed to, turn the PC off at the back, leave power cable plugged in and ALWAYS have one hand on the case while looking inside unless you have an anti-static strap.)

p.s. incase you're unsure, graphics card will be the item your monitor cable directly pluggs in to.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby tankadin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:43 pm

Tirion wrote:
uhm if that's in centigrade, that's fucking hot. 64?!! that's almost 150 F

Newer Graphics Cards run between 50-60c all the time. Most of the new G-force cards run right around 59c.

Either way, by the sound of it, the card over heated at some point and got fried.

Same basic principal as over-clocking too far and getting anomalies on screen.

I would try Underclocking the card to either stock, or below stock settings if you didn't Overclock it.

See if that makes it stop, or go away.

I'm willing to bet that the issue is over heated -> dead or dying card.

Underclocking may buy you some time until you can purchase a new one though.
tankadin
Maintankadonor

Postby Aalryn » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:01 pm

if it's an evga get in touch with them.. lifetime warranty even if you overclock is so win
~insert flashy signature here~

"Error: Armory link not found" ... Tankadin no more
Aalryn

Postby Fenira » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:16 pm

My friend made my compy, he put a 8800GT card in it, makes WoW nice and smoothish
it's in my profile pics
www.myspace.com/chantyr
Fenira

Return to General