Single Tank ZA with a fury meatbag

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Single Tank ZA with a fury meatbag

Postby kysu » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:07 pm

I was wanting your opinion on this, every time I run ZA either MT or OT I end up tanking Most if not all of everything. I ran with another pallie yesterday during the double bear pulls and he couldn't get his target off me (and ya I waited for 5 secs before I concentrated). So I ended up tanking them both. Had the same problem right in front of the bear boss.

So would I be better to just bring a Fury Warrior as a dsp offtank for a couple of certain pulls(boss's), I have a certain guy in mind his prot set is better if not the same as mine so if he needed to throw it on he could.

I feel this would help out on our dps since a few of the guys are good but a couple can't keep the #'s. We normally run with 3 very good healers(Pallie,druid,priest)

I can't link my armory or anything because im at work but its Kysu on Wildhammer (US).

My only other thing is can I tank dragonhawk boss and one side of adds myself? Just back up to the bridge and do my normal tanking thing and when they all are on me have lock and mage go crazy. Then bubble cancel for debuffs then do the same for the other side?
kysu

Postby ldeboer » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:00 pm

Yeah two pally tanks is painful on the bears ... you both need to not shield toss and just pick them up by judging righteous and tell the dps to wait because of low threat at start.

Any other way the one with the higher spell damage gets them both and the other pally will find it really hard to get the other 1 back.

Given you must be geared to tank both bears I don't quite get why you have 3 healers but each to his own we generally run 2.

Since the nerf or blizz stuff up not sure which you can easily tank bear boss solo.

However tanking dragonhawk boss and the adds is going to difficult the adds give you that debuff and if he breaths on you or past you to get someone else while you have the debuff you are going to struggle.
Probably high FR gear may give you a chance to survive that but then you really need some heavy dps as if it hits the 5min enrage mark with you in FR gear you are pretty much dead I would think.

I personally think for this guy you would be better off with a pally healer tanking the adds given you are taking 3 healers and really until enrage this guys damage output is rather low so one of them is really a luxury.

Lynx boss you really just need someone to take the saber lash with you any plate wearer with 15KHP should do it comfortably .. I have seen pally healers do it.
ldeboer

Postby Mialina » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:37 am

I tanked full ZA as solo tank, didnt use anyone for Bear or Lynx boss and met all the cleaves solo, popping trinket + Healthstones + Healing pots are enough to keep you alive after a cleave on lynx, otherwise its easy. You dont really need a second tank if you have good healers and decent gear (t6 equivalent).
Mialina

Postby ldeboer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:02 pm

Lynx and bear would be easy to solo tank if somewhat taxing on your health but how did you solo tank dragonhawk boss?
ldeboer

Postby Mialina » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:23 am

That's my specialty, I've been doing it for a few months now (since my OT dced during trash on the way to janalai :))
First we let one hatcher hatch all side as I tank janalai on that side, I dont use any cds, just consecrate and hit on birds as the aoe takes care of them. Then we kill all hatchers as they come and when boss hits 35% he hatches the otherside, this I take with AW and use cds if possible and we aoe them in like 10 secs or so.
Solo Hex Lord may be a trouble if too much troublesome adds show up, but luckily I've been avoiding the ogre there anytime I went solo there :)
Mialina

Postby Nakama » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:39 am

http://armorylite.com/us/wildhammer/kysu

Health: 14347
Mana: 4968

Armor: 16190 (60.53%) Resilience: 18.00
Defense: 490 (-+5.60%) Def Rating: 285 (+120)
Dodge %: 23.21 Dodge Rating: 252 (+13.32%)
Parry %: 15.60 Parry Rating: 0 (+0.00%)
Block %: 19.48 Block Rating: 70 (+8.88%)

Spell Damage: 485

Dunno about the Shattrath Protectorate's Breastplate (I'd prefer the Chestplate of Stoicism for that many badges).
And I'd try to find a replacement for your shoulders (but it's pretty much Pauldrons of Stone Resolve or bust at this point, since you're already doing ZA).
Nakama

Postby kysu » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:53 am

Thanks the armory post, ya i know my shoulders are junk but drops are the suck for me as of now, so just doen what i can to replace them.

Only thing I notice is our healers are great, I think im relatively well geared ( other then shoulders) But our dps is just blah. No one is 1k dps. I had a hunter main before this guy and he would do 1.4k burts with just t4 gear, and a solid 900 otherwise. So I have no idea wth is goen on with them. I try my best to help them all with macro's and addons that can improve everything but im sure i have a bunch of old stubborn bastards.

We cant get a solid 25 people together for raids so we are just stuck doing ZA,Kara. I try n pug 25 mans when i can but you get the whole No T loot for u.

As for why I didn't get Chestplate of Stoicism is we used to have another pallie tank that had it, he geared more for boss's and well i geared more for "im going to hold every bit of this trash... now u aoe it until ur fingers are mashed" But i do plan do grab it with me next set of 100. I run heroics constantly so badges arnt hard to come by. Its the enchants and gem's that cost me $$.

And I did ZA last night. I again ended up double tanking the bears =( had a Warrior OT, He would Taunt his off me but he left it in my aoe so I ended up pulling it right back =(. Other then that boss's wernt too bad. Lynx fucked me up though. the OT wasnt exactly on me and he hit me for 18.6k. Needless to say i was dead.

But I would say you only need a 2nd person standing on you for lynx n bear. Other then that I would just take 2-3 healers and all dps.

Thanks for the input, and my hp is 19.2k buffed.
kysu

Postby Barathorn » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:22 am

Mialina wrote:I tanked full ZA as solo tank, didnt use anyone for Bear or Lynx boss and met all the cleaves solo, popping trinket + Healthstones + Healing pots are enough to keep you alive after a cleave on lynx, otherwise its easy. You dont really need a second tank if you have good healers and decent gear (t6 equivalent).

So in other words you can solo tank it if you massively overgear the instance? Because I see no way anyone who doesn't massively overgear the instance can single tank the bear or lynx in honesty. Kudos to you if you can single tank it.

Most guilds in late T4 and early-late T5 will probably need 2 tanks from my own personal experiance.

And for the person asking about 2 paladins tanking, you use a hunters misdirect on one pally and the other pally pulls with a judged SoR or rocket launcher. The mobs that aren't being tanked are CC'ed.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Mialina » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:30 am

I had another solo tank ZA run last night. This time we didnt have proper CC for Hex Lord so I had to tank the blood elf chick and the dragonkin along with the boss himself. Wasnt much of a problem and they both died before the shadow bolts (good dps :) ).
Mialina

Postby VikrumthePally » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:20 pm

Mialina wrote:I had another solo tank ZA run last night. This time we didnt have proper CC for Hex Lord so I had to tank the blood elf chick and the dragonkin along with the boss himself. Wasnt much of a problem and they both died before the shadow bolts (good dps :) ).

I would love to see your armory. I don't mean that rudely.
VikrumthePally

Postby Bk992004 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:45 pm

Mialina wrote: decent gear (t6 equivalent).

What does your gear look like where T6 qualifies only as "decent?"
Bk992004

Postby kysu » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:26 pm

Ugh another ZA run... WTB better dps. Non of mine hit 1k dps, makes me deeply depressed.

I ran with all these guys before and had junk on two chars and got them both geared past the point of the guild =(.
kysu

Postby Rachmaninoff » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:33 pm

you airn't trying to do a bear run are you?
Rachmaninoff

Postby Dendrah » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:37 am

Well the way we run ZA is that my warrior buddy brings his DPS gear as well. He only tanks for the gaunlet, those bear riders, the bear boss, Hawk boss and lynx slashes. The rest of the timed run I'm the only tank.

After Lynx or if we fail the event we take it easy and have the regular 2 tank setup.
Dendrah

Postby kysu » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:17 am

Well we did 3 timed chest's. But we pugged good dps. We did the normal 2 tank thing, but all in all worked out fine.
kysu

Next

Return to Zul'aman