Any tips on how to get a MT spot

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Any tips on how to get a MT spot

Postby Bubbleoseven » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:15 am

i've been trying for some time to find a guild on my server that will let me MT anything other than a 5 man but i'm having no luck, even though i have almost as good a stats as the guilds current MT (damn tauren health) i'm pushed back saying paladins can't and shouldn' tank any raids or get more hp.

any tips about how to maybe get a MT position?
Bubbleoseven

Postby Worldie » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:01 am

The only way you have is to convince a guild warrior CL or GM that you are worth it.

For example, i had the chance to do some heroic runs with a friend of my actually CL, after a run he was so impressed and talked so well about me to his guild pally CL and he wanted me to apply and get invited, and actually i'm able to MT if needed and if i want to.

Yes probably you need some luck also.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Igrado » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:36 am

read the following for a good writeup by a reputable man. Isn't a direct reply to your question, but is definately closely related.

http://failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/ ... +raid+spot
Igrado
Maintankadonor

Re: Any tips on how to get a MT spot

Postby Vanifae » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:41 am

Bubbleoseven wrote:i've been trying for some time to find a guild on my server that will let me MT anything other than a 5 man but i'm having no luck, even though i have almost as good a stats as the guilds current MT (damn tauren health) i'm pushed back saying paladins can't and shouldn' tank any raids or get more hp.

Educate and don't suck, but also realize that if the tanking spots are filled then why do they NEED another MT.

Best bet is to Off-tank, and when the MT is not there fill in and show them you can do it.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Igrado » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:19 am

Vanifae is right about educating too. You'll do a lot of that by explaining things (over and over again) during 5 mans. But it's a really good idea to offer to sit down and tell your GM anything he wants to know about Tankadins. If you've been on this site long enough and read the stickies a million times like most of us, then you'll already know the answers to sooo many of his questions.

And feel free to take An Officers Guide to the Paladin and use it whatever way works best, whether reposting in your guild forums or directing your GM to the link. It's there to help educate!
Igrado
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:38 am

Start your own raid.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:08 am

Sabindeus wrote:Start your own raid.

Pretty much.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Bubbleoseven » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:02 pm

thanks so much for the thread links and advice, after talking with my raid leader and using the information provided to me, he said he'd consider it.
thanks guys :D
Bubbleoseven

Re: Any tips on how to get a MT spot

Postby Girard » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:12 pm

Bubbleoseven wrote:i've been trying for some time to find a guild on my server that will let me MT anything other than a 5 man but i'm having no luck, even though i have almost as good a stats as the guilds current MT (damn tauren health) i'm pushed back saying paladins can't and shouldn' tank any raids or get more hp.

Eh.. to be a main-tank is a long, painful road that really requires you putting in a lot of effort and dealing with a lot of stress. The easiest way is of course, to form your own guild/raid and declare yourself to be the guild's MT. Then form the rest around your goals and needs.

If you want to get into an established guild as a tank, my suggestions:

1) Be patient. Taking on a new member, especially one as vital as tank is not a decision most guilds will do lightly. Expect to be tested and vetted for a while =)
2) Be flexible. Just because you're spec'd for tanking doesn't mean you're always going to be called on for that. Sometimes you'll be asked to sit out a raid, others you'll be asked to heal. Accept this.
3) Be mature. No one will want a whiner, a loot whore, or primadonna in their guild. If you've got a chip on your shoulder or attitude problem, work on it.
3) Be geared. Tanking is an extremely gear-dependant role. If you gear up for it properly you show understanding of the game and your role, as well as dedication to it.
Girard

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations