Tanking Classes Compilation for WotLK - Last update 17 OCT

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Jeryia » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:56 pm

Amanor wrote:
Jeryia wrote:Hello,
Holy Shield now scales with attack power. You may wish to add that. based on testing, I've come up with the equation below to determine the damage caused by holy shield.

Holy Shield damage = 158.9+0.0581*AP+.0903*SP

This data is accurate up to 1 point of damage as of build 8970 of the PTR.

I pointed that out in the coefficients thread a while ago, actually, and while it's appreciated that you went to the effort of testing it and presenting an equation, it's a bit off with your adjusting the base damage of Holy Shield. Considering the tooltip for Rank 4 (which I'm assuming is the one you're using) says 160, it might be more accurate to say

Holy Shield damage = Base Damage + 0.565*AP + 0.9*SP

The AP coefficient seems to dance between 0.56 and 0.566 depending on how much AP one is testing with. I've only tested at 500 intervals up to 2k, though, and with rank 4, so I'd be happy to see a more definite number if there is one.

Hello,
I'm sorry, I was unaware that there was a second coefficient thread. Thank you though, you've saved me a great deal of time in testing out all of the other coefficients.

For everyone else that thread can be found here: http://www.maintankadin.failsafedesign. ... hp?t=13340
Jeryia

Postby snowwight » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:30 am

You might want to add something about the new threat coefficients. It's 271.32% for holy damage, 142.8% for regular for paladins. 207% for bears and warriors, and probably death knights as well.
Tankadin since before it was a good idea
snowwight

Postby Sartor » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:42 am

snowwight wrote:You might want to add something about the new threat coefficients. It's 271.32% for holy damage, 142.8% for regular for paladins. 207% for bears and warriors, and probably death knights as well.

Could you please provide me with some facts?

Tests, blue confirmation, cookie? :P
Sartor

ABout infected wounds...

Postby TokenElf » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:32 am

Not to be nitpicky, but in your commentary about infected wounds you say Priests, Paladins and mobs can dispel.

Shaman have always been able to dispel diseases too. Could you add them in? They have cure disease and cure disease totem. It pulses every 5 seconds and removes 1 poison effect from a stack. Which means it will drop a 3 stack to 2.

I wouldn't complain, but after seeing hunters forget about our UR buff and refer to DKs and MM spec as the people doing it, I'm starting to feel like my poor "soon to be ex" main is feeling forgotten.

This is an excellent guide. Very helpful. Thanks.
TokenElf

Re: ABout infected wounds...

Postby Pizbit » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:48 pm

TokenElf wrote:Not to be nitpicky, but in your commentary about infected wounds you say Priests, Paladins and mobs can dispel.

Shaman have always been able to dispel diseases too. Could you add them in? They have cure disease and cure disease totem. It pulses every 5 seconds and removes 1 poison effect from a stack. Which means it will drop a 3 stack to 2.

I wouldn't complain, but after seeing hunters forget about our UR buff and refer to DKs and MM spec as the people doing it, I'm starting to feel like my poor "soon to be ex" main is feeling forgotten.

This is an excellent guide. Very helpful. Thanks.

Doesn't clear 2 when it's dropped, just one and then one every 5sec thereafter.
But currently the poison totem is teh funnah, cheaper to spam drop poison cleansing totem than it is to cure 1 person.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Re: Tanking Classes Compilation for WotLK - Last update 25 S

Postby Kellann » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:21 pm

Post#1 corrections:
Sartor wrote:[*]Blizzard implemented thread meter

"Threat"
Sartor wrote:[*] BoS and Air Tranq totem REMOVED (YESSSS, DPSers are gonna l2DPS properly) - since the release of the beta Blizzard has increased greatly the threat moves of all tanking classes and removed the aggro reducing skills to some point (BoS is transformed into Hand - read Paladin section).

Salv is - instead - 'baked in' to all classes. (iow - they adjusted the base class threat modifiers for damage to add in the effects of BoSalv without needing it in the game).
...defensive stance/righteous fury/etc now basically have a "/cancelaura perma-salv" built into them.

Sartor wrote:[*]Gear - the plate for the 3 of the four tanks is going to be similar. That said you will not see block value on a Plate tanking gear. Instead of BV there will be Str which will serve for dmg->atk power->aggro (paladins, warriors, and death knights) and Block value - str->block value (warriors and paladins). In addition, I am yet to see a tanking item with +block %. However, it is still too early since the only tanking plate I've seen was from level 77+ quests.

Block value&rating are still around - just not there on 'offset' pieces which would not work for DK's. Instead it's heaped into the set pieces and shields with the STR synergy change to cover the difference.
Kellann - Uther
Kellann

Postby Andox » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:38 am

Block value&rating are still around - just not there on 'offset' pieces which would not work for DK's. Instead it's heaped into the set pieces and shields with the STR synergy change to cover the difference.

Well, we still have offset pieces with BV. http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=37872 is totally useless for DK's, sure not Naxx, but we still have BV gear in Naxx, just that I don't have time to look it up :lol:
Andox

Postby Vesper » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:03 pm

Swipe and thunderclap are having their target limits lifted. squee!
Vesper

Postby Dantriges » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:48 pm

Consecration still higher threat because of the debuff. I wonder if the warrior will be a prefered choice in hard aoe encounters. After every tank got aoe taning capabilities similar to ours, they can design some aoe mobs that can endanger you even without your healers falling asleep.
Dantriges

Postby Elbryan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:38 am

I may have missed this if this item was brought up sorry if I did. With the changes in the upcoming patch to the prot tree, the change to Anticipation is not very amusing. That being said with a loss of 20 defense changed to 5% dodge. Where are we making up the loss of defense? Is 490 still going to be the norm? With the changes my defense goes from 512 to 473 in the PTR and I have no idea how I am going to make that up. I want to still raid and such before the expansion, just not sure how to make up for the defense loss without changing a bunch of stuff.

Here I am on the armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Elbryan
Elbryan

Postby Trammel » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:45 am

Elbryan wrote:That being said with a loss of 20 defense changed to 5% dodge. Where are we making up the loss of defense? Is 490 still going to be the norm? With the changes my defense goes from 512 to 473 in the PTR and I have no idea how I am going to make that up.

OUCH!
I was figuring if I had at least 510 defense I should be safe but this is a huge chunk. You lost 39 defense. Does anyone have the magic # in defense that will keep us at or above 490 prior to the patch?
Trammel

Postby anerak » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:01 am

playing around with the chardev 3.0.2 thing (was back on page 4 of this forum), i realized that i would have to do 3 +defense enchants, not just 2 :(

thankfully that's only going to cost me 6 stamina with no regemming.

unfortunately, that only gets me to 491 defense, no where near the uncrittable level for 80.

i'm hoping to get unbreakable will in the mean time for that little extra oomph

I lurk.
anerak

Postby dmok » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:04 am

Trammel wrote:
Elbryan wrote:That being said with a loss of 20 defense changed to 5% dodge. Where are we making up the loss of defense? Is 490 still going to be the norm? With the changes my defense goes from 512 to 473 in the PTR and I have no idea how I am going to make that up.

OUCH!
I was figuring if I had at least 510 defense I should be safe but this is a huge chunk. You lost 39 defense. Does anyone have the magic # in defense that will keep us at or above 490 prior to the patch?

There is no such magic number. Almost all the t4+ gear (and possibly a majority of d3 gear too?) got reitemized for the new mechanics in 3.0. This means sometimes dodge was removed for STR, and sometimes defense. all SD was definately removed off the tanking plate pieces though (from what I've seen).

so that "magic number" changes based on what gear you currently have equipped. Your best bet? go to wowhead, look up all your gear, and hover over the wotlk mark in the top-left. compare the defense on all your pieces, and see how short you fall.
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby Trammel » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:16 am

What I meant was and maybe it isn't possible. Is if you currently have (lets just say) 530 defense you should be 490 when the patch is rolled out.. But then if only certain pieces of gear have defense reduced then there isn't a magic number by which you just told me :x

This is the one time it pays to be a pack rat and not destroy any gear I have had previously.
Trammel

Postby Selinaria » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:49 pm

A new buff for warriors just announced:

Verimonde wrote:Ghost is out for the rest of the evening so I thought I would make a quick post regarding a new warrior change. Berserker Rage will now be usable in all stances.

Enjoy!

Nice buff to their fear break and also their rage generation.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 9&sid=2000
Selinaria

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK