Remove Advertisements

BS or Eng in WotLK

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

BS or Eng in WotLK

Postby Consecrator » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:45 pm

I saw the post regarding the new goggles, however, I keep hearing about the new BS patterns in WOLTK. Can anyone tell me more about what the BS gear is like? What I mean is are they all BOE craftable or should i be ditching engineering to lvl BS before the expantion? Should i just make freinds with a good BS and tell them they look pretty, or are there equally as good drops in dungeons to use.

[Please don't post titles in all caps. -Lore]
When I was 8 years old, I watched my mother kill a spider with a tea cozy. Many years later I would find out that it wasnt a spider, it was my uncle harold.
Consecrator

Re: BS OR ENG IN WOTLK

Postby halabar » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:30 am

Consecrator wrote:I saw the post regarding the new goggles, however, I keep hearing about the new BS patterns in WOLTK. Can anyone tell me more about what the BS gear is like? What I mean is are they all BOE craftable or should i be ditching engineering to lvl BS before the expantion? Should i just make freinds with a good BS and tell them they look pretty, or are there equally as good drops in dungeons to use.

Sofar most BS items are BOE. You can buy them.

Eng will make you money.

Need more of a picture?...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Consecrator » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:34 am

I in no way want to drop Eng, I just wanted to make sure I didnt need to be a BS to wear the good gear.

xoxoxoxo
When I was 8 years old, I watched my mother kill a spider with a tea cozy. Many years later I would find out that it wasnt a spider, it was my uncle harold.
Consecrator

Postby InspiredOgre » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:36 am

JC
Protection Paladin Ludux...
Death Knight Ludeux...
Enchanter Ludus...
of Nazgrel

Death Knight Ludeux of Northrend

Paladin Ludeux of Murmur
InspiredOgre

Postby halabar » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:41 am

Consecrator wrote:I in no way want to drop Eng, I just wanted to make sure I didnt need to be a BS to wear the good gear.

Just wait to see what patterns show up. It's not needed yet.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Thrornir » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:46 am

The BoE gear isn't the important thing honestly, but instead what do you get as a profession-only bonus?

Blacksmiths get the ability to add at least three sockets to their gear that are unique to them (bracers, gloves and weapon), another socket to belt that they can sell to others as well (Titanium Belt Buckle), and the rumor that armorcrafters will get a 2nd meta socket.

At the same time, the epic Blacksmith Helmet is close enough to the engineering helmet to be fine until you can upgrade in Naxxramas 10-man.

Engineering gets... guns paladins can't use, injectors that are less useful now that you can't chain-pot in combat, a helmet you can upgrade in the first raid dungeon, doesn't-stack-with-enchants addons to gloves, belt, cloak, and motorcycles.

I'm waiting patiently until a more complete list of engineering items comes out, but I'm seeing nothing that we can use that matches 96 extra stamina from extra sockets alone.
Thrornir

Postby Consecrator » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:52 am

Very nice reply, thank you. Now whats this about not chain chugging mana pots?
Consecrator

Postby kurros » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:58 am

JC, LW, BS, and Enchanting all offer similiar perks, which can be calculated down to the addition of 48-60~ extra stamina if that is what you are going for, or equivalent numbers of other stats.

The engineering perks are more outlandish and probably better for PvP battlegrounds than PvE tanking.

The tailoring and gathering profession perks are fairly weak, but it's better than before where they didn't have any benefit at all.

Alchemy seems weak for PvE, but if the arena usable potion remains in game it will be very strong for PvP.
Anyway, lets just agree to disagree. Go away, or I'll just start reporting you to the mods for being a troll. In exchange, I'll stop pointing out your stupid in public.
kurros

Postby Thrornir » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:01 am

http://www.wotlkwiki.info/index.php/Alchemy

A more detailed explanation is there, but basically once you use any potion in combat, you are prevented from using another potion until you go out of combat. This prevents chain-chugging Ironshield potions, haste potions for the melee DPS, and mana potions for the casters.

Overall it's probably not a bad change - encounters don't have to be designed around the idea that every melee is hitting a haste pot as soon as the cooldown comes up, and the developers are handing out mana-back abilities and talents like candy so mana won't be a problem. However, it does make injectors less necessary because the amount of healing or mana potions used will go down.
Thrornir

Postby InspiredOgre » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:23 am

kurros wrote:JC, LW, BS, and Enchanting all offer similiar perks, which can be calculated down to the addition of 48-60~ extra stamina if that is what you are going for, or equivalent numbers of other stats.

The engineering perks are more outlandish and probably better for PvP battlegrounds than PvE tanking.

The tailoring and gathering profession perks are fairly weak, but it's better than before where they didn't have any benefit at all.

Alchemy seems weak for PvE, but if the arena usable potion remains in game it will be very strong for PvP.

Similar Perks!?!?!

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=44063

ONE..... Minute..... Cooldown1!!!!on1!

Oh, its 10 seconds.... well, still...

In all honesty, it is personal preference>min/max, even with the gathering skills....

As a JC/Miner, I get hella HP.... But thats just my preference.... You may prefer the more varied, and situational, benefits of Eng.
Death Knight Ludeux...
Enchanter Ludus...
of Nazgrel

Paladin Ludeux of Murmur
InspiredOgre

Postby ulushnar » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:26 am

The announcement of the new goggles was enough to tip me over from "definately dropping Engi for BS" to "keeping Engineering".

Wasn't just the stats themselves, or the nice Stamina trinket, but the implication that mote clouds will be implemented in WotLK. Having blithely gathered about 5 Primal air whilst doing circuits of Nagrind last night, I've been reminded what a powerful advantage that is.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby degre » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:31 am

Thrornir wrote:Blacksmiths get the ability to add at least three sockets to their gear that are unique to them (bracers, gloves and weapon)

As far as I know, was said that you were only able to use two of them, as one is common to all BS, whole of the other two one is for armoursmiths and the other for weaponsmiths.

I haven't followed beta info in a while though... might be worth if someone could clarify this. Still, 2 sockets is better then none ^_^

And the rumor that armorcrafters will get a 2nd meta socket.

This is just a rumour. Was presented in a blue post when they were giving examples of what unique features they were thinking of, but nothing related ever came out again, nor was mined from any build. It is also to consider that due to nature of a meta gem, this would result in quite an insane boost.
Last edited by degre on Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby Io.Draco » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:02 am

the question is , does our mote extractor work in northrend or we need to get a new one? :P
Io.Draco

Postby knaughty » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:28 am

halabar wrote:Eng will make you money.

How?

Never has for me on live.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby InspiredOgre » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:07 am

Knaughty wrote:
halabar wrote:Eng will make you money.

How?

Never has for me on live.

Motes, but that is supposing a favorable market, and it assumes using the time to gather that any other gathering skill would use to also.... gather...

Ive dont belive Mote>Herbs>Ore

I think they are all pretty equal.
Death Knight Ludeux...
Enchanter Ludus...
of Nazgrel

Paladin Ludeux of Murmur
InspiredOgre

Next

Return to WotLK