Remove Advertisements

Tanking as Ret

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tanking as Ret

Postby Kuripari » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:44 pm

Hiya all!

I've seen it mentioned a few times that tanking as ret is working just fine in the northrend content.

What I'm curious about (since I don't have beta and can't experiment myself) Is what you're doing that with.

I assume tank gear and not ret gear, getting your def points atleast right? And are you doing it in new gear from Wrath? or in your Tier gear from BC?

I'm curious how I (not in tier gear) am going to be able to do attempting the same content.
Kuripari - Skywall US Horde
Kuripari

Postby guillex » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:45 pm

Nope. Ret gear with a sword and board.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Spiggless » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:56 pm

It works up until heroics and raids, I think.
Spiggless

Postby guillex » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:09 pm

Yeah, it's pretty much a 5man/solo threat/crit whore deal.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Kuripari » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:30 pm

That's really cool.

I know I read they wanted us to be able to tank in other specs, though heroics and up would need a prot spec.

Good to see it's working that well :D

That means I don't need a ton of armor sets anymore!
Kuripari - Skywall US Horde
Kuripari

Postby Elsie » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:40 pm

You trade holy shield and hotr for crusader strike and divine storm.
Losing the +6% stam talents hurts a bit, too.
Elsie

Postby Kelaan » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:27 pm

Guillex wrote:Nope. Ret gear with a sword and board.

Wait, NOT in defense gear? So you're crittable as all hell? Is it just that you have that hot healers and good gear? (I'd wear tank gear, my ret gear SUCKS. ;))
Kelaan

Postby Levantine » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:58 pm

Kelaan wrote:

Wait, NOT in defense gear? So you're crittable as all hell? Is it just that you have that hot healers and good gear? (I'd wear tank gear, my ret gear SUCKS. ;))

Ummmmmm, yeah, somehow I don't think crits are THAT big a deal in leveling 5mans.
Levantine

Postby Worldie » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:39 am

You don't really need tank gear for trashs in 5 men, maybe just for bosses.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby caboom » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:44 am

Kelaan wrote:

You need 200ish resilience to be crit capped(maybe a bit more as your getting close to lvl 80), that's about what s2 full set can bring u at, with a shield u can also break 12k unbuffed hp with mentioned set, so it's not as bad as it sounds.

You guys also forget that if u lvld as prot before lvl 70, even if it was just 60-70 u were often crittable and it wasn't a big deal. ;)

I've tanked as ret in live, even w/o a shield(netherwing prequest boss) and i had a feral healer so it's not impossible :D
caboom

Postby Zonzede » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:01 am

A full ret build used to have a handful of spare points to sub into prot and get all the REALLY important talents. It was a complaint of mine that before, a Ret wearing tank gear would actually be a preferable tank to a Prot paladin for a surprisingly large number of situation. In fact, I personally believe it was all situations except 25 man maintanking.
Now, there's more good stuff both in the ret tree limiting the spare points, and in deep prot that's fully inaccessible to ret. While in tank gear, you should still be able to perform trash tanking or minor offtanking jobs, but you'll want a Prot for the hard stuff.
Zonzede

Postby enbee » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:06 am

I solo'd a full shattered halls as ret with sword/board on test, wearing 2 parts tanking t6 twins shoulder, rising tide shadowmoon insignia and for the rest s4 pvp gear(shadowres gear for 1st boss), and it wasn't all that hard -_-

sol jol divinestorm instant fols, thats alot of healing!
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Return to WotLK