Rate my performance

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Rate my performance

Postby Terdrix » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:04 pm

So I have finally gotten some halfway decent gear and am getting comfortable in the first half of Kara (up to Curator). Shade is still kicking my groups ass, but we'll get it.

Here are my webstats for the first half of this evenings run:
http://wowwebstats.com/zbvq2u26iyvcc

I'm sure my technique is nowhere near perfected, so I wanted to open myself up to some constructive criticism. What things can I do to improve?
Terdrix

Postby masterpoobaa » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:15 pm

uncrittable? check
uncrushable? check
loads of stamina? check

I checked your profile. good gear, need to replace ur boots with the ones that drop from chess or random drop.

You have the dps, just everyone needs to know what to do with aran.
hunters MDing the elementals to the tanks, locks banishing the rest, people NOT MOVING with flamewreath, priests dispelling slow with arcane explosion.

Oh and with your gear you should be able to tank prince, netherspite and nightbane. I did it with slightly less gear than you.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Terdrix » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:17 pm

masterpoobaa wrote:need to replace ur boots with the ones that drop from chess or random drop.

Ohhh how I wish I could.
Terdrix

Postby Spectrum » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:25 pm

Terdrix wrote:
masterpoobaa wrote:need to replace ur boots with the ones that drop from chess or random drop.

Ohhh how I wish I could.

Seconded.

Last time I ran a full clear of Kara a mage who had never been there before (on any character) got four epics + T4 helm. My pally still only has three drops he wears + T4 gloves which I don't in favor of Maiden's.

I have yet to see Boots of Elusion or the Pocketwatch drop on any character. :(
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby ldeboer » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:46 pm

Yeah we all find Aran frustrating because as a tank there is crap all you can do to make or break the kill its all about the dps doing the right things.

Last two weeks with a grp of vetrans on alts we had issues because we had too much firepower and were getting water elementals up in blizzard or flame wreath and getting pwned by them unable to get to them (only 1 lock in raid). The key was when we got his health to 45% to stop and chose the moment to get the water elementals.

I would say like others here have said if you cant get him down in say 3 goes move on before the trash respawns go do chess and prince.

On your webstats you hadn't done ilhoof either which with a pally tank and a warlock is rather trivial fight so long as all your raid has ./target chain as a macro. You tank ilhoof where he stands keeping consecrate up you may need a few mana pots and the lock simply seeds him the seed will kill all the adds. Your other tank will be on kilrek at start and each time he re-appears he tanks him near you so seeds help kill him. Mage keeps and eye out for any adds warlock drags with seeds and kills them and you are golden so long as everyone targets the chains and breaks them when someone gets sacraficed ..... collect loot move on.
ldeboer

Postby caboom » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:42 am

Your dps looks ok, your healers however don't look that good, it could be just the fact that they were asigned to raid healing but it looks to me the priest(Wholeymoley) is abusing flash heals too much, while the draenei pally(Bubbliciouss) is much more focused on dps rather than healing, however Belovedone seems to be the one saving the day there, was he suposed to heal both tanks ? xD

Also it looks like you have 3 tanks and 3 healers ? :o
3 healers should be good considering you guys would have bad gear but 3 tanks should not, especially with 2 beeing pallies and if the drood was suposed to be dps he should be doing better than what he's doing there imho, but it looks to me he spends too much time in bear form if he's dpsing. You could tank the upper level bosses with the gear you have now, and with your weapon threat should not be a problem, even for the lock, but the dps could be improved and the healers need to change their healing style, and be asigned to each tank.

All in all unless you are sure about it, whenever you failed it wasn't your fault as a tank. 650 ish average TPS(325 dps x 1.9) looks awesome for kara(i know i've had less going there the 1st time) if you are rly concerned about threat go find the sticky in Advanced Training about threat rotations and such, but it looks allright to me.
caboom

Postby Terdrix » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:17 am

caboom wrote:Your dps looks ok, your healers however don't look that good, it could be just the fact that they were asigned to raid healing but it looks to me the priest(Wholeymoley) is abusing flash heals too much, while the draenei pally(Bubbliciouss) is much more focused on dps rather than healing, however Belovedone seems to be the one saving the day there, was he suposed to heal both tanks ? xD

Also it looks like you have 3 tanks and 3 healers ? :o
3 healers should be good considering you guys would have bad gear but 3 tanks should not, especially with 2 beeing pallies and if the drood was suposed to be dps he should be doing better than what he's doing there imho, but it looks to me he spends too much time in bear form if he's dpsing. You could tank the upper level bosses with the gear you have now, and with your weapon threat should not be a problem, even for the lock, but the dps could be improved and the healers need to change their healing style, and be asigned to each tank.

All in all unless you are sure about it, whenever you failed it wasn't your fault as a tank. 650 ish average TPS(325 dps x 1.9) looks awesome for kara(i know i've had less going there the 1st time) if you are rly concerned about threat go find the sticky in Advanced Training about threat rotations and such, but it looks allright to me.

thanks for all the great feedback. As for the tanks the other Pally was coming in as DPS with his ret set equipped. Oh well, failed experiment. Ironically both the other pally and druid were pickups from a guild we known, not regular runners. My guild had gotten used to doing everything up to shade with me as the only tank and an arms warrior with a partial prot set to back me up on the couple of fights that one tank sim-ly can't do it.

Wholemoley also was a random, so unfortunately there isn't much i can do other than not bring hom back :(

Sounds like a big factor in this run coming up will be group selection, man I hope my regular guildies are available to fill the three spots we grabed unknowns for last week....lol
Terdrix

Postby caboom » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:18 am

When u guys are not in full badge gear or better, the slack of 2 dps and 1 healer is very noticeable, even if it's just kara. But no worries there are some ppl there that are rly trying at least. :P
caboom

Postby Senador » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:02 am

Shade is up there in the list of fights that are frustrating as a tank because you have so little control on how it works out and you need everyone in your raid to be focused and paying attention, not just the normal 4/5 that are... others include Vex, Delrissa and Kael in Magisters, Netherspite, Jan'alai, etc...

Everything in Shade is completely in player control to avoid. His spells are interuptable, his specials are all completely avoidable, his counterspell is possition based, his elementals are control/killable, his Pyroblast is predictable. Some people will complain about luck on the fight, that is just an excuse. I did it last week, and 3 people died to the first arcane explosion, then 3 more on the second... Then on the next attempt there was a flame wreath detonation, followed by two wipes where the CCing warlock for elementals kept getting himself counterspelled... then people started saying how bad their groups luck was...

I actually hope there are more fights like Shade (Or Kael, etc) in WoTLK that are as skill based as they are, as I like the controlable elements to the fight and how wipes are based on players not doing their jobs as opposed to poor luck.
Senador

Postby daman67 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:18 am

As stated, cat form DPS is massively better than prot pally in "ret" gear. If you run with a 2nd prot pally, it's better for that off tank to be the third healer (or even the 4th healer, heh) than feebly trying to DPS. Similarly, in Aran, you should probably be healing/dispelling rather than trying to DPS. Or healing a little and then tanking elementals.
daman67

Return to Karazhan